Sixth Catch

Parachute

The rain poured for 10 long minutes.

To be honest, I did not even see the girl as Kyung dragged me to take cover from the rain. Then again, I guess it showed how much I was oblivious to people around me. Kyung talked to the girl and I stood there listening to their conversation. He asked her for her name and she told him, but I couldn't hear what she said it was. Then he proceeded to ask what she was doing out which she answered by telling him that she was out waiting to meet someone but the person didn't show up. She said she didn't even notice the rain until he had pulled her hand. They began to talk among themselves until the rain stopped. I stepped outside of the canopy and began to walk, resisting the urge to turn back and look at Kyung. I did what I came to do, so now I'm just going to head back home. It wasn't like he was interested in talking to me anyways. He has his own life now. We have no relationship.
He shouted my name; the sound of his footsteps hitting small puddles indicated that he was running toward me. I forced my legs to walk faster and gave him a wave that I was going. Kyung shouted my name again and soon he was walking beside me, "Where are you going?"
"Home," I answered, looking the other way, "I just came by to ask you questions and I did so—"
"I thought you wanted to see where I lived?"
"Maybe not—"
"What's wrong?" He asked in a serious tone.
"Nothing," I replied.
He doesn't take it and repeated his questions, "What's wrong?"
What does he want me to tell him? I bit down my lower lip from saying anything to him.

"Don't tell me you're jealous because I grabbed that girl's hand to hide from the rain too," he nearly whispered.
I stiffened at his assumption and quickly shook my head, "O-Of course not. Why would I?"
"I was just helping her out," he continued, ignoring what I had just said. "She was standing in the rain, getting drenched, so I grabbed her hand and dragged her under the canopy."
"Well, that was nice of you to do," I nodded.
Kyung sighed and grabbed my hand, forcing me to stop in my tracks. "Stubborn and jealous. I guess you can feel how I felt that night I saw you dancing with Jaehyo then," he lifted my chin up with his other hand. "Now you can't tell me that you don't feel anything for me,"
I shook my head free from his hand and jerked my hand away, "Don't touch me,"
Kyung took a step back, "Fine. Go home if you want. I'm not trying to keep you here anyways."
I stumbled taking a step back. My body was opposing the idea of going back home—and so was I—because hearing him tell me that made me feel guilty. I exhaled and couldn't believe the next couple of words coming from my mouth, "Take me... your place."
He cocked his head to the side, smirking, and cleared his throat, "What? Can't hear you."
"I said..." I paused before continuing, "take me to your place, please."
He laughed amusingly and extended a hand out, "Come on,"
And this time, without hesitation, I grabbed his hand.

We walked hand-in-hand, making detours around rather large puddles that formed after it rained. I felt so at ease walking by his side—like maybe all of this was just a dream. But with the squeeze of his hand, I knew that this was real and the feeling that was forming in my heart was my true feelings towards Kyung. It was the feeling I had back then with him. I followed Kyung to his place without a feeling of guilt—or that I was doing anything wrong. He lived in a flat—a really nice flat that looked too expensive for me to even pay for. As we entered into his home, he released my hand and walked elsewhere while I stood at the door a bit dumbfounded.
Kyung walked back and laughed, "Well, come in,"
I blinked, jumping back into reality, and nodded. Slipping off my shoes, I walked to one of the couches and sat on it. Kyung walked over to me and sat next to me.
He sighed, "So, you have any more questions to ask me?"
Right. I cleared my throat and paused for a second to think of more question to ask him. A lightbulb popped into my head and I nodded, "So, if you live here, how is that I keep seeing you back there, like the convenience store incident?"
"Good question," he narrowed his eyes, "well, Jaehyo's step-brother lets me stay over his place sometimes—or well, whenever I have business back there."
"How long have you been there?"
He smiled, "I go whenever I want to,"
"What were you doing at the convenience store that other night?"
"Jaehyo's step-brother lives near the convenience store; and I got hungry, I so walked there." He answered.

I frowned to myself. He answered everyone with a reason, except one. "Speaking of Jaehyo's step-brother, who is this guy anyways? What's his name?"
Kyung raised a brow, "Did Jaehyo not tell you?"
I shook my head in response, but before he could say anything, I quickly asked, "Is it you?"
Kyung laughed immediately, leaning back against the couch. He laughed for a good minute or two before sitting back up. He chuckled, "You think I'm Jaehyo's step-brother?"
"Well, he mentioned that his step-brother came back just a few months ago, like... you did." I answered, mumbling the last few words.
"Nope," he shook his head, "Jaehyo's step-brother is someone named Minhyuk. Really nice guy with the perfect personality."

My shoulders sunk and I frowned. "That's not what Jaehyo said," I mumbled.
"What?"
"Nothing," I shook my head, "that's all the question I have."
He nodded, "How about I ask you questions now?" I narrowed my eyes and nodded in response. He smiled and cleared his throat, "What are you doing with your life?"
"What am I doing with my life?" I repeated his question, "School and work, I guess."
"I'm guessing you're majoring in mathematics, huh?"
"Obvious,"
"Speaking of that," he shifted a bit on the couch, "what solution did you find after that day?"
"Solution?"
He nodded, "I remember you telling me that for every problem that you come across, you always find a solution to it no matter what."
I scratched the back of my head, "Um, yeah, I guess."
"Well...?"
"My solution," I paused; I didn't really find a solution because I had gone back to my old ways. Rather than telling him that I countered with: "why should I tell you what my solution was anyways? You see how I am living today,"
"I wanted to ask you questions since you asked me," he replied and quickly asked me another one, "do you think we'll be overtaken by zombies in the near future?"
"What?" I furrowed my brows, "That's not even a valid question to answer,"
"Ah!" Kyung pointed a finger at me, "Answer my question, won't you?"
I frowned and thought about his question. "Well, probably not because if it hasn't happened before then why would it happen now?"
"But I mean, now, there are so many probablities of it happening—like bacteria," he countered.
I slightly tilted my head to the side, "Are you being serious?"
He laughed, "Lighten up, will you? I'm just trying to make you smile."

"Oh," I looked away from Kyung.
"Well," Kyung cleared his throat, "how about we watch a movie before you leave."
"A movie?"
He nodded, "I recently rented a couple of movies and, well, since you're here, we might as well watch together." He smiled and waited for my answer.
I took out my phone and looked at the time. Noon had past two hours ago. Do I stay or do I go home? Without much consultation, I put my phone back into my bag and looked up at Kyung, "Only one."
"That's fine."

An hour and a half passes by; the movie ended and my head was bopping, keeping me from sleeping. I stretched on the couch and let out a soft yawn. The only other sound heard in the room was the movie's ending song and... Kyung snoring. I looked down at him and was surprised to see him in deep sleep. His left arm was propped on the couch's arm and his face was buried inside the palm of his hand. Should I wake him up or leave him? I shrugged and went with waking him up. It would be rude to leave without letting him now. I bend on my knees before him and softly tapped his shoulder, "Kyung," I whispered, "I'm going to go." He doesn't wake, so I tried again. "Kyung, I'm going to go." I repeated and waited for him to wake up, but he doesn't move or anything. Maybe just one more time and probably louder too. I cleared my throat, "Kyung, I'm leaving so—" My hand was caught by his other hand. He lifts his head up, eyes meeting mine within seconds.
Kyung sighed, "Brings back memories, doesn't it?" He leaned forward; I was frozen, unable to move any inch of my body. Soon enough our eyes were leveled and I could hear him breathing.
"D-Don't,"
He slightly titling his head to the side, "You don't want to spend the night with me?"
I jerked my hand away from his hold, leaned back, and landed on my .
"Kidding," he chuckled and stretched. After a couple seconds of Kyung popping his bones here and there, he slid onto the ground to sit before me. "I'll take you home. I don't think it's safe for you to ride a taxi home."
"I'll be fine," I took a step back from him, "it's not like I've never gone home alone before."
"No," he shook his head, "I'm taking you home and it's final. Your boyfriend isn't here so I'm sure he wouldn't mind it. I mean, there's nothing between us anymore anyways. He wouldn't think of anything,"
I bit my lip at his comment. In a way, it hurted hearing him say that. "Fine," I replied, "since there's nothing between us anyways."

During the drive, we stayed quiet. Or well, Kyung was quiet so I decided to not say anything to him. It wasn't awkward, but I didn't really like the silence. It was almost suffocating just being in slience. Unconciously, I began to softly hum a tune to myself as I looked out the window, watching street lamp after street lamp pass us by.
"Is that..." I looked at Kyung, watching a smile start to spread across his lips. He chuckled to himself, "You're humming my song that I wrote for you," he stated.
Am I? I cleared my throat and shifted my weight on the seat, "I... forgot that you did,"
He snorted, "Yeah right; you couldn't have forgotten when I sang you the lyrics, have you?"
"I did," I answered quickly, feeling the uneasy that I had lied. If I admitted to remembering then I felt like my emotions for him would increase. "It's been too long,"
"Huh," he exhaled, "yet you still remember the melody."
"People are capable of remembering the melody of a song without remembering how they hear do of it." I countered, "It's not hard."
"Yeah, well, people are capable of lying through their teeths at a memory which they're able to remember like how you remembered the melody so easily." I stiffened at his comment, which he seemed to have noticed. He pointed a finger up, "You're a book I can't not read."

I frowned and sunk into the chair, "Okay, fine."
"10 points for Kyung," he celebrated to himself and glanced over at me. "Oh, come on, I was just playing around. Smile or laugh, don't make me feel like a loner."
I rolled my eyes and looked the other way, "I'd rather you stay a loner,"
He clucked his tongue, "That's not very nice,"
"Too bad."

In just minutes, we had arrived back to town. I told Kyung the way to my place. When we reached there, he had gotten out of the car the same time that I did and walked to my side of the car as I closed the door. He took a couple of small steps towards me, forcing me to walk back into the car.
Standing before me, he nearly whispered my name, "Thanks for coming to see me today. I seriously did not think you would come because all of our recent meetings wasn't so good. But, I want to tell you that I'm planning to go abroad with Minhyuk in two weeks." He informed and sighed, "I'm sorry for intruding into your life, so now I'll fade away like as if I had never intruded it at all."
"You're going abroad in two weeks?" I summarized, a bit shocked at hearing this.
He nodded, "Yep,"
"Kyung," I watched as his crescent-like eyes rounded, waiting for whatever I was going to say to him. "I..." I paused, fighting with myself on what to say to him. Without consent, my lips moved on its own, "don't go."
He furrowed his brows, "Don't go?" he repeated with a chuckle, "Why not?"
"Because," my heart began to panick. Where the hell was I going with this? "Because... I," I looked into his eyes and knew that he had seen through me. But rather than accepting what my eyes were saying to him, he took a step back from me and waved.
"Have a good night,"
"Wait,"
"Don't do this to yourself," he interrupted me from saying anything else, "good night."
I quickly grabbed Kyung's hand, pulled him towards me, and wrapped my arms around him. I could feel his body tense, but I didn't care. I wanted to stay like this because... I still loved him. The thought immediately hit me with a sense of reality.
"Is this a confession?" He asked after a couple of silent seconds. I don't say anything, but he knew. "Thank you." He pulled away from me, releasing my hands from him, and took a step back. "I'm going to go now."

After he drove away, I felt my whole body crumble. What was wrong with me?

 


author's note; loooooooooong chapter. sorry if your eyes hurt D: lol thanks for reading!!!
@Yerlie303: thanks! and yeah... random girl D: haha hopefully I kind of explained where the girl came from 3 lol thank you for reading!
@kissme4life_99: haha who knows~ I don't know....... and thanks! ^^