Thirteenth Landing

Parachute

Intertwining my fingers, I nervously walked into the same room that Jaehyo and I met every morning. What was I going to tell him? What’s the status of our relationship now? Are we going to date like he said or… I shook my head and slowed to a stop. There was no other solution I could come up with except for the fact that I should… be with him. I think. It wasn’t like as if I was ever going to meet Kyung again, so I might as well take the chance to be with someone I know who’ll be there for me. I swallowed back and exhaled. To my surprise, Jaehyo was already at our usual seats and had been staring at me the whole time I was struggling to answer a question. He waved a hand at me and smiled softly. I obliged to the wave of his hand and walked over.
“Good morning,” he greeted as I took a seat. I nodded back in response and took out my folder which contained the assignments we were going to discuss today. I tried my best to not let my nervousness show, but with the trembling of my hands, Jaehyo noticed it quickly. He chuckled, “Why so nervous?” He whispered my name with another chuckle, “You act like as if I’m going to eat you.”
I decided that it was best to just spit out what was bothering me since he would probably bring it up. I cleared my throat and turned to him, “Jaehyo, about last night… I’ve been thinking that—well.”
He suddenly wrapped an arm around me and pulled me towards him, “You’re such a nervous-wreck right now, aren’t you?” I nodded. “Don’t be and don’t force yourself into situations which you’ll regret.”
“But I won’t,” I countered, “I… I really do like you and being with you, it makes me feel wholesome.”

“You know saying those kinds of things only makes me want you more,” he smiled slightly, “but I don’t think you really mean it.” I furrowed my brows. What the heck was he even saying? I just confessed to him again, yet he’s making it hard for me. Jaehyo pulled his arm away from me and pulled the smile up, “But I guess if you really do feel that way, I want you to confirm it by—”
Almost automatically, I leaned towards Jaehyo and touched his lips with mine. I slightly part my lips as I placed my left hand on his cheek. After seconds, I pulled away and watched as Jaehyo’s cheeks change from a pale color to a faded red.
He laughed amusingly and shook his head in amazement, “Well, I was going to ask you to confirm it by telling me you’re in love with me, but a kiss…” he cleared his throat, “a-a kiss was fine too.”
I looked down immediately and felt embarrassed. I probably shouldn’t have done that, but I thought that that was what he wanted from me. “Sorry,”
“Don’t apologize,” he placed a hand on mine. I looked up at him and felt a sense of assurance to his warm smile. “So, I guess this means we’re… no longer in the friend-zone, right?”
I laughed and nodded. Though I should have felt happy and excited, there a voice in the back of my mind that was screaming in opposition to my decision.

After that, we couldn’t quite concentrate on our assignments, rather we spent the time talking about whatever. Jaehyo wanted to know ridiculous things about me, like what my favorite things were. I asked him back and wasn’t surprised to hear that the two of us favored opposite things. Somehow, these questions lead to our family background. Of course, I knew bits and pieces of Jaehyo’s background, but he knew nothing about me. It was almost hard for me to talk about my past since it was nothing like his.
Clearing my throat, I tried to remember the earliest thing about my family. “My parents owned a laundry-mat and they were content with it. They had me and were also content. They planned to have another kid, but my mom’s body couldn’t hold another baby. 5 years later, we were definitely a happy family, but one night… he was out, buying some notecards for me and happened to come across a group of people who were on a killing spree. He got in the way and they shot him. No one came to help—” at those words, I paused. A suddenly retraction of Kyung’s words echoed within my head. I clenched my fist, “My mom re-married, but the guy is horrible.”
Jaehyo placed his hand on mine, “I’m sorry for you loss.”
I shook my head and sighed, “And—”

“How long are you two going to stay in this room?” a voice asked from afar.
Jaehyo stood up and pulled me, “Sorry, we were just on our way.”

After all my classes, I did not get to see Jaehyo again, however. I guess I didn’t mean it, but I didn’t get to tell him about my relationship with Kyung. Seeing that Jaehyo has told me about Hana, I only thought it would be right to tell him about Kyung. I was over the guy now and I wanted to him to know that I feel nothing for him. Sort of. No, nothing at all. Getting on my bike, I rode home with the soft blowing of the wind combing through my hair. Within minutes I arrived at my place; entering in, I sighed in relief. I thought today would be difficult, but as it turned out, things were good. For the rest of the evening, I decided to sleep. It was the only thing I could do and probably what I needed.

-



The sound of a song woke me up from slumber. I reached to the side to grab my phone and tapped the screen without looking at it—though I had a clear idea who it was. I cleared my throat before speaking, “Hello?”
“You sound sleepy,” he chuckled, “did I interrupt you from anything?”
“No,” I shook my head, “I needed to wake up anyways.”
“Say, do you want to meet up with me?”
I furrowed my brows and looked to the side at my clock, surprised to see that it was already 9pm. I yawned, “Sure, why not.”
“Great,” he happily said, “meet me at the convenience store 2 blocks away from your place.”
I nodded, “Okay.”

Just as I arrived to the front of the convenience store, I was surprised to see him—Kyung—inside of the store. He smiled at the cashier as he grabbed his things. He was coming my way. I panicked and turned to the side, wishing that I had some invisible cloak so he wouldn’t see me. The beating of my heart vibrates against my ribs, almost as if it were going to pop out. The metal doors slid open and his footsteps shuffled against the cemented ground. It felts like years before his footsteps became muffled and distant. I slightly turned around and watched as Kyung walk away from me with his hands swinging at his side. Guess he didn’t see me, I narrowed my eyes. A familiar voice called my name from the other direction, and quickly I turned to see that it was Jaehyo. I smiled and walked towards him.
“Hopefully I didn’t make you wait long?”
I shook my head, “I just got here a couple of minutes ago,”
“Good,” he reached for my hand, which I take, and we start to walk. “How was your afternoon?”
I shrugged, “Good, I guess. I slept the minute I got home.”
“Really,” Jaehyo chuckled, “so that means you feel awake, right?”
I raised a brow at his question, “Probably,”
“What do you say we end this week by going on our first date at an arcade?”
“Arcade?” I questioned, but without hesitation, I nodded, “I’d like that.”
“I knew you would,” he sung.

For the next 2 hours, we spent our time playing games at the arcade. I wasn’t experienced at playing games, since I spent my entire life studying, I lost at every game we played. Of course, I wasn’t sad or anything, but it . After the arcade, Jaehyo walked me back home and I invited him inside for a while. Switching on the light, I took off my shoes and walked to a certain spot in the room to sit. Jaehyo followed, but rather than sitting, he lied next to me and closed his eyes.
“Are you… falling asleep?” I decided to ask, watching as he opened his lids to look at me.
“Should I fall asleep here?” Jaehyo smiled.
“Um,” I scratched the back of my head, unsure what to say to him. “I don’t know where you’ll be able to sleep,”
“We can always share your bed,”
I shook my head at his comment, “I don’t think that’s a good idea—”
“Kidding,” Jaehyo chuckled, “I just wanted to see that cute face of yours when you panic.”
I frowned and slightly turned the other way.

“By the way,” Jaehyo cleared his throat, “tomorrow is the party my parents are planning so I’ll come by around 6 to pick you up and get you dressed up.”
“T-Tomorrow?” I repeated, “It’s already…”
“Don’t worry too much about it,” Jaehyo assured. Suddenly I was on the ground, lying next to Jaehyo as he wrapped his arms around me. “I’ll be there with you.”
“But I won’t know anyone,”
Jaehyo clucked his tongue and pulled me closer to him, “Why does that even matter? You’ll have me there.” He whispered that last couple of words as our faces got closer. I closed my eyes and felt his warm lips touch mine. Our soft kiss drew out longer than expected, but nothing escalated from there because Jaehyo’s phone went off. He groaned and pulled away from me. Taking out his phone from his pocket, Jaehyo glanced at the screen but he doesn’t pick it up.
I furrowed my brows at his action, “You’re not going to pick it up?”
He looked at me and shook his head, “Nothing to worry about anyways; just family stuff.”

I nodded; immediately, I was reminded of my fail attempt at telling Jaehyo about my past relationship with Kyung this morning. It would be best if I tell Jaehyo, that way he could understand a little about why I feel hesitant to be in a relationship or open up to anyone. I cleared my throat, “Jaehyo,” I began, “there’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you.”
“What is it?” He asked.
“Remember how you asked if I’ve ever fallen in love before?” He nodded in response. “Well, the guy… his name was Park Kyung and he was the first person I’ve ever been drawn to. We dated for a couple of months before… he left.” I explained, “I haven’t seen him since then, but recently, I did. Just yesterday actually; before you met me, he was there.”
“I know,” Jaehyo answered, “I was sure I saw you talking to someone, but I didn’t know who.”
“Um, well…”
Jaehyo grabbed my hands and smiled sweetly, “Don’t worry, I’ll never let you go. I’ll hold onto your hand and make sure that we never slip from each other.” I smiled back at his answer and nodded. He brought my hands up to his face and kissed my knuckles. With a sigh, Jaehyo put my hands back down, “I have to go now, but I’ll see you tomorrow.”
“See you.” I said to him as he walked towards the door and exited.

 


author's note: thanks for reading n__n appreciate every comment /andlove/ lol