Third Flight

Parachute

Class soon began another day of school. Of course, the only thing that was different about today was the fact that Kyung kept whispering words at me to which I tried to ignore, but when I did, he would increase the volume of his voice. I could barely keep up with what the teacher was lecturing because of him. At the end of day, I had only written half of what I would normally write for my notes, which was a bad thing because without my fully written notes, I won’t be able to study well. Gathering my things, I had anticipated on hearing Kyung call for my name because he wanted to speak to me or something, but instead I heard nothing. Once my books were tightly packed into my bag, I looked up and noticed that Kyung had already left the room. A sense of relief washed over my face.

Walking out of school grounds, I made my way towards work. I would most likely get there 5 minutes early since I wasn’t distracted earlier today. Things should go back to normal now, I think to myself. I would only have to meet with him every morning and only the afternoons on the weekends, which should last about thirty minutes or less. Math wasn’t a hard subject to learn, one just needs to be able to know the steps. I nodded at that comment and almost skipped my way to work.

-

With a sigh, I exited the store and was happy to feel how nice it was outside. The moon shone brightly from above, almost acting like a guide as I made my way home. Crossing past an abandoned playground, I noticed that there was a group of boys all huddled together. Though I knew that it was none of my business, my curiosity got the best of me and I found myself slowly walking by. Of course that was a big mistake because the minute that one of the boys turned around, saw me, and quickly pointed me out; I knew I was in for it. My heart thumped from within my ribcage as the rest of the boys turned their attention at me and
what it looked likeaway from someone else. I gulped, turning my attention away from them and quickened my steps, hoping that they wouldn’t call for me or anything. But how dumb was I to not know that they would?

I was suddenly called at with a 'Hey!' Adrenaline rushed throughout my body at the sudden call and the only thing running through my mind was that I needed to run. But, for some unknown reason, I did not run, rather I turned my head to the side to face the group of people. Swallowing back a ball of spit, I parted my lips to respond to their call, "I-I'm just passing through,"
A male with light brown hair smirked and turned his head to look at his group. A laugh escalated from within the group. I knew that I probably should have taken the chance to run, but instead I stood there like an idiot and watched them laugh at me for whatever reason. The male turned his attention back to me and smacked his lips on what seemed like gum, "One does not pass through here like nothing is wrong." He simply said and took a step towards me.
"I-I—"
The male quickly clucked his tongue, interrupting me from saying anything else. "You seem lost. Do you maybe need some help to getting around?" He chuckled, rubbing the palms of his hands together. I couldn't find the will to respond to him. The only thing that was running through my mind was that I needed to get away from these people. But I couldn't because I was now in a situation that I could not escape. My hands started to shake so I clenched them. The male was only a few steps from catching my arm when someone from behind called him out.

"Zico, just leave her be." The minute that I heard his voice, I recognized it within a second. It was his voice—the one that I had heard earlier this morning and during class. Was he going to try and help me escape from them? Blinking back tears that had welled in my eyes, I watched as the male turns his head around, slightly cocking it to the side.
"Leave her be?" He repeated with a chuckle, "Why would I do that? We have a toy here that wants to be played with." He stated and turned his head back around to look at me, "Don't you want to have fun with us?"
"She's the least of our importance right now, Zico. You have to organize a plan, don't you?" The voice countered. The shuffling of clothes is heard next and he appeared from within the group. His locks curled from the ends and are pinned up; eyes stare intently at the male before him with arms crossed. I stared at him and wondered what he and the others were doing at a place like this. The male, named Zico, sighed as a frown spreaded upon his face, admitting defeat to the voice's counter. He gave a wink at me before spinning around, "Run along," he waved a hand at me.

I ran.

Curiosity filled my mind as I ran because I wanted to see his face again. The urge to look back tempted me, but I didn't, knowing that if I did, I would regret it.

-

With a sigh, I watched as Kyung entered the room with a smile plastered on his lips. Was he that excited to learn math so early in the morning? I sat up in my chair and waited for him to take a seat beside me. Before I could say anything, Kyung spoke up first.

“Why did you decide to stop and stare at us last night?”
I furrowed my brow at his question, “I didn’t stop and stare at you guys last night,”
He scowled, removing the smile from his lips, “You know that if I hadn’t stopped Zico from approaching you anymore, you’d be in trouble.” He stated more than questioned. I nodded, agreeing with what he had said.
“Yes, and thank you for that,” I replied.
“Do you normally get off work that late?” He continued on with his questions.
I nodded and decided to change the topic, “Let’s get started on math homework, alright?”
He clucked his tongue, “Prick,”
I rolled my eyes, “You said you wanted to be tutored,” I repeated what he said to me yesterday. “I’m not here to talk to you about my personal life.” I reminded him.
“Yeah, yeah,” he nodded and took out a piece of paper, “What are we going to learn today?”
“Do you have yesterday’s assignment? We can work a problem from it—or, well, I can see what you did and try to work one out with you.”

Kyung smiled at me and shook his head, “I don’t have it,”
“You don’t have it?”
He shook his head, “You think I keep school assignments? That stuff is for nerds to do.”
I sighed, “You do realize that—”
“Let’s just work off of your paper,” he interrupted me, “just give me a problem and I’ll work it out and you can check it.”
“Fine,” I moved my paper towards the edge of the desk, “do number one.”
“Roger,” he saluted at me and began writing down the problem. While watching Kyung work on the problem, I noticed that he scar curving from his temple to the side of his cheek. I wanted to reach out and touch the scar, but I restrained from doing so and decided to ask him about it.

“D-Did you get hurt yesterday or something?”
He looked at me, “Hurt?”
“You have a scar,” I pointed at my own face to show him, “right here.”
“Oh, that,” Kyung shook his head, “don’t worry about it. I got it a while back. It’s starting to heal.”
“What did you do?” I asked without thinking about it.
He laughed, “Are you curious about my personal life?”
“No; of course not,” I shook my head, “it’s just that that caught my attention, so I was curious.” I explained, “Anyways, get back to working on that problem. Class will begin in less than 15 minutes or so.” I turned my attention away from Kyung and at the board before the class.
“It’s fine if you want to pry into my life, there’s nothing much to know about me anyways.” He said, “Of course, if you want to hear about my life, I should get to know something about you too.”

“As if I want to learn about whom you are,” I replied, “I have better things to learn about than another human being.”
“So mean.” Kyung commented with a scowl before continuing to work on his math problem.