Tenth Catch

Parachute

We sat in the car in silence, but the thoughts in my head was screaming for answers to what I had witnessed. I fidget with my fingers, unsure if I should ask Jaehyo what he and Kyung were talking about. Fortunately, I didn't have to since it looked like Jaehyo noticed my mental struggle.
He sighed, "I'm guessing you heard the last part of our conversation, huh?" I nodded in response. Jaehyo moved his upper body a bit, "You're curious." He stated. Without asking me more, he got to the point, "Pretty much, while we ate, I noticed the looks Kyung kept giving you. It was as if he wanted your attention on him and not me, but you didn't dare to look at him. At one point, I was sure he was annoyed and planned to grab you to go outside with him. Fortunately, that didn't happen." He explained, "While you were in the ladies' restroom, I met Kyung outside and told him that his time with you was over. At first, I thought he was just going to shrug it off and nod, since that night he told you to move on, but instead he got defensive and told me that I shouldn't be giving him advice." He cleared his throat, "I could just see jealously seeping from Kyung and knew right then that what he had told you were just empty words. Then, well, I'm sure you heard the part where I said I wasn't going to let you go and that's when I saw a snap in him and he replied back that he was going to have you."
The scene played into my mind. The look on each of their faces and the words that spewed from their lips showed a competitive side that I've never quiet seen before.



That night, before falling asleep, I busied my mind with problems that I was running into. What exactly was Kyung's motive—or intention—now? He told me to move on, but it looked like he was willing to fight. My heart danced happily at the thought, yet I still felt guilty about it. I moved to lie onto my side and sighed.  I closed my eyes and let my mind wonder off into thoughts that were clouding me. Soon enough, I had fallen into slumber.

You're going to jump from the plane; and as soon as you jump, pull the trigger on your vest to release the parachute.

Suddenly, I found myself standing inside of plane. I looked down and noticed that I had equipment clipped on me. My legs began to move on their own and walked to the exit of the plane. My heart thudded loudly as soon as I looked out and noted that I was more than 100 feet off of the ground. As much as I opposed taking a step forward, my body moved on its own and jumped out of the plane. My throat began to burn as I let out a scream; my body was unable to control what was happening around me as I was under the control of gravity now.

The trigger, the same voice reminded me. I looked down and searched for the trigger, which I quickly found and pulled it. The soft pulling of fabric sounded and the rainbow colored parchute floated from above my head. But I only had seconds to relax; a rip echoed in the air
the parachute was losing its balance in the air and soon so was I. The parachute fell and lunged me down with it.

This was it. I was going to die.

"Are you an idiot?" Kyung's voice sounded; I opened my eyes, surprised to see him extending a hand towards me. Wings flapped from his back; he wore dark clothes and his eyes gleamed a coal black. "Grab hold of my hand, won't you?" I reached forward but was interrupted by another voice.
"Don't," Jaehyo put his hand before me. Wings flapped from his back, but unlike Kyung, Jaehyo wore white clothes and smiled gently at me like an angel. "He'll only drop you once he has you in his hold. Grab hold of mine and I won't let you fall at all."
Kyung scoffed, "That's what you say, but once you touch her hand, you'll see that she wants me to save her." He inched his hand for mine and nodded at me, "You know that you can't live without me right? I'm the one who'll catch you and be your parachute."
"You might not be able to live without him, but you know that I'm the only one who'll will save you from the hell you're in and love you more." Jaehyo urged his hand towards me, "I'm the one who'll protect you from harm."

Time was ticking and I knew I was only minutes from death if I didn't take hold of either one of their hands. I had to go with my heart no matter what. The one I choose is...

The alarming sound of my phone goes off, interrupting me from my dream. I groaned and pried my eyes open, greeting the brightness that had filled up half of my room. Grabbing my phone, I slid a finger across the screen to turn off the alarm. Yawning, I stretched in my bed before forcing myself to get off of it. As I walked to the bathroom, a pang of flash blurred my vision for a second. I shook my head and the faucet, letting it run for a couple of seconds. Splashing water onto my face, another flash colored my mind: a face. Turning off the water, I stood there for a second to try and understand why my mind had flashed that face. It looked familiar, and felt almost real. Maybe I had dreamed of the face. My brows furrowed in thought, but only for a quick second as I am reminded that I need to get ready for class.
Slipping on my shoes, I stared blankly at the wall, trying to remember what my dream was last night. I could only remember bits and pieces of it: dark wings and a face—a face that only appeared blurry to me now. Stepping out of my apartment, a soft gust of wind blew from beside me. The sky was colored in gray with dark clouds hovering here and there. I quickly walked back into my apartment and grabbed my umbrella sitting on the ground. Closing the door, I decided that I was going to walk to school rather than ride my bike. It would be troublesome if it rained later on.
Rather than it taking me 5 minutes to reach the campus, it took me about 12.

Walking into the tutor room, I found Jaehyo at our table with his head down. Sleeping, maybe? As I got close to him, I heard soft taps being made on the table, as if he were scribbling on a piece of paper. I reached a hand out to touch Jaehyo's shoulder and immediately he looked up at me. I looked down and saw that he had our math assignment out, already working some problems out.
"Just working out some problems," Jaehyo smiled at me and patted the seat next to him, "sit."
I nodded, pulling out the chair to sit on it. For some reason, I couldn't feel comfortable sitting next to him. The conversation I had overheard last night still played in my head, reminding me that Kyung wasn't ready to let me go yet and neither was Jaehyo. It would most likely have to be me to end the tug-of-war and choose between the two. But who exactly was I going to choose?

Suddenly I was pulled into Jaehyo's arm, his scent flowered around me, taking my mind off of that matter. I lifted my head up and immediately met his eyes. He leaned down and whispered, "Didn't you hear what I just said?"
"Um," I bit onto my lower lip, "can you repeat it?"
He laughed amusingly and slightly pulled away from me, "I said, since school is ending, we should end our tutoring as well. I think I'm able to work on my math now, thanks to you." He explained, "Are you fine with that?"
I half-nodded, "Sure,"
"That didn't sound too confident," he twisted his lips in dissatisfaction.
"Yes," I answered clearer, "I'm fine with it."

 


During one of my classes, I had unconsciously let my mind wonder off, letting in any thoughts that were bothering me. The first thing that came to mind was that dream I had this morning. Dark wings and a blurry face. Whose face was it exactly? The more I thought of this dream, the more the detail of this dream started to spill. There was actually two people with wings but their faces were a blur to me.

"Grab hold of my hand, won't you?"

Odd as it was, the voice that said the line echoed in my head was Kyung. I shook my head and told myself that I couldn't have dreamed of him.

"He'll only drop you once he has you in his hold. Grab hold of mine and I won't let you fall at all."

The other voice warned, sounding oddly enough like Jaehyo in my head.

A flash of me flying in the air with a ripped parachute mounted into my memory. Parachute. My eyes widened as the dream began to play in my head, starting from beginning to the part where I had to chose whom I was going with. Who did I choose? I frowned and placed my head on the table. Maybe I could try to get myself to dream of this later on tonight. It could help me with my situation. Maybe.

After work, as I stepped out of the store, I was greeted with heavy rain. I smiled, reaching into my bag for my umbrella that I had brought with me this morning, even though it didn't rain during the day. Before I could walk into the rain, footsteps sounded from nearby distance, splashing against the already wet and flooded ground. I turned my head to the side and watched as Jaehyo waved a hand at me as his other hand held a blue umbrella.
"Wait," he shouted, "I'm here to walk you home!"
I smiled and waited as he walked towards me, "You didn't need to come in such a weather,"
He shook his head, "I'm not going to let my girlfriend walk home by herself whether it snows or rains like this," he extended a hand out for me and I grabbed it in an instant. "Now we can walk together," before stepping out into the rain, Jaehyo closed his umbrella, "and maybe share an umbrella together?" I nodded happily and placed the umbrella in-between us. We walked quietly under our umbrellas; the only noise muting out the quietness was the soft dropping of raindrops. Before reaching my apartment, Jaehyo cleared his throat to ask a question. "So, just being curious and all, say you went parachuting with me and Kyung. While flying mid-air, your parachute rips and the two of us offer our hands for you to grab, whose hand would you take?"
I furrowed my brows at his odd question and paused before answering his question. "Um, I would take both,"
He shook his head, "You can only take one person's hand,"
"I-I don't know," I shrugged, "that's a sitaution would less likely happen."
"And if it were to happen?"
"I would..." I stopped talking as my eyes were set on the person sitting on the stairs of my apartment, getting soaked to the bone. As soon as I saw the hair of the person, I knew who it was. Without another word being spoken - or any concious to stop me - I ran towards the person, quickly recognizing that it was Kyung. I placed my umbrella over him, "Kyung,"

I could hear him weakly chuckle, "Nice rain we have, right?"
"What are you doing?"
He lifted his head up, eyes immediately meeting with mine. "I thought to tell you something, but I wasn't sure if you were at work or not. Turns out that you were, but I figured you were coming home anyways."
"Why didn't you run back home?" I asked, "It's raining,"
"It's okay," he smiled at me, lifting his arms out and letting the palm of his hand get splattered on by raindrops. "I like the rain,"

"Kyung," Jaehyo sounded from behind, "what are you doing here?"
I looked back, quickly reminding myself that I was with Jaehyo and had shared my umbrella with him. He was soaked now, but he resented it. I stepped back from Kyung, but hesitated to move the umbrella to protect him from the rain. "I was - "
"I understand," he shook his head.
"I had something to tell her," Kyung spoke.
Jaehyo stiffened at his comment, but he relaxed his stance.
"Why don't you two come inside to dry up?" I suggested.
Kyung stood up and nodded, "Fine with me," he eyed Jaehyo.
"Fine with me," Jaehyo echoed.


author's note; sorry my updates are out of order, but here's the latest one! Thank you for reading!!
@aimynguyen36: aww why thank you, dear! I truly appreciate your comment ;__; I'm glad that you're enjoying this fic and quite surprised that it pulled you in lol thank you so much for reading!
@Yerlie303: mwahahahahaha! Who knows what he whispered ot Kyung idontevenknow lol thanks for reading!
@kissme4life_99: Oh yeah~ you were totally right! Lol here's a cookie :D haha yes, a very difficult decision. thanks for reading