Shocking News

Crack In A Perfect Wall

 

“Junhyung, Jiyoon, do you see what’s on the screen?” Dr Kwon asked. Our mothers insisted on taking a private gynae for Jiyoon that they even paid for the fees. Since we are still high schoolers, we told her to call us by our names rather than the usual formalities.

All I see was black screen with some white lights here and there and its moving. Seriously, how do people look at these things?

“Lights?” I said dumbly. Jiyoon rolled her eyes.

Dr Kwon chuckled slightly. “Of course lights Junhyung. This here, is the baby’s heart,” she said as she pointed on the screen.

“That’s a heart??” How can that be a heart?? Jiyoon pinched my arm. I winced and looked at her cluelessly. Her expression seemed to tell me to stop being so stupid. Well I am. I can’t help it.

“Yes. And can you see there’s two?” Dr Kwon said patiently.

“OUR BABY HAVE TWO HEARTS???” That really threw me off the edge. Is he or she abnormal or something??

Jiyoon did react anything to my outburst so I guess she’s worried as well.

“No no Junhyung. Relax..” Dr Kwon smiled. I tried to breathe normally, holding onto Jiyoon’s hand.

“You’re having twins!” Dr Kwon said happily. Right at that moment, I feel that time had frozen and I just couldn’t think. Twins? Two kids? All coming out at once?

“Junhyung.. Junhyung are you okay?” I shook my head slightly and get my mind back to reality. Dr Kwon was looking at me with concern.

“Y-yeah..” I nodded briefly still a little dazed.

“So you said.. twins?” Jiyoon spoke.

“Yes twins! But we don’t know the gender yet for now,” Dr Kwon replied. We both just nodded in silence.

“Um.. I’m sorry but isn’t this good news? Usually soon-to-be-parents are happy when they hear that they are going to have twins,” she said warily seeing our expressions.

“Yeah we are. We just didn’t expect it..” I lied. We can’t afford it, that’s the truth. But I don’t want any symphathy. I don’t want Dr Kwon or anyone, to give us the symphatetic looks and start offering us donations or charity money. I just feel that my pride would hurt when people know I can’t support my own family.

~

I opened the front door to see that the house was pitch dark. She must be in the bedroom. I went up slowly, taking off my jacket along the way. Work was horrible. I kept thinking over and over again on how to earn more money to raise two children. My mind keep dazing off and my work gets affected.

“Jiyoon?” I called her as I stepped into our dimly lit bedroom.

“Oh you’re back,” she said as she stepped out of the bathroom. I rubbed my eyes tiredly and threw my bag somewhere at the corner.

“Have you eaten?” she asked as I took off my shirt.

“Yeah. You?”

“Yup.” She sat on the bed, preparing to go to sleep.

“Are you feeling okay?” I asked as I slipped on a wife beater along with a black three quarter pants.

She just nodded. I went over to the bed and sat on the bed, facing her. Slowly I brought my hand to caress her baby bump, something I have never done before after she gets pregnant for months now.

“I still think its amazing how a life, or two, can grow in here,” I admitted. She chuckled.

“You look tired. You should sleep,” she said, my arm. I moved to the other side of the bed and lie my head on her lap, facing her stomach.

She laughed. “Since when are you so gentle?” she asked.

“I’ve always been gentle!”

“Yeahh…” she mocked but her smile stays.

“So there’s two of you in there huh..” I said poking lightly on her stomach. She chuckled and ran her fingers through my hair.

“Sorry I can’t give you a good wealthy life when you’re out later,” I sighed.

“I’m sure they don’t need that kind of life Junhyung. Or they’ll be spolied like us,” Jiyoon said.

“Yeah.. They should face hardships while they are young so they can treasure a good life in the future.”

“Woah.. They teach philosophy in school now?” she said.

“That’s philosophy??” I laughed. “I didn’t even know!” Both of us laughed for awhile until the laughter finally subside.

“So I was thinking.. since mid term break is coming.. I think I should look for another job,” I said.

“Two jobs? Aren’t you tiring yourself?”

“I have to.. We need a baby cot, diapers, and all the other necessary things,” I said. She simply nodded.

“Man.. all these are so stressful..” I mumbled and squished my face on her stomach.

“Then go to sleep. I’ll follow you to work tomorrow,” she said.

“Huh? Why?” I looked up.

“I’m bored at home..” she pouted.

“But it’s a bookstrore. You don’t read.”

“Aish! I do okay!” she smacked my arm and I just laughed.

“I’ve been reading this, for your information,” she said and took the book on the bedside table. She showed me the cover and it’s a book for expecting mothers.

“Impressive..” I nodded and took the book.

“Are there only pictures inside?” I said playfully, flipping through the pages.

“There are words okay!” she smacked me again.

“Wow you can read!” I laughed.

“You better shut up now Yong Junhyung. Or I’ll put a whole bottle of salt in your coffee tomorrow,” she warned me.

“Oooo I’m shaking with fear~”

“You should be! Now go and sleep! And give me back my book!” she said as she snatched the book away and placed it on the table. I chuckled and sat up.

I switched off the bedside lamp and lie down on the table, pulling her close to me.

“Yay we both can read now Jiyoonie,” I said softly before going to sleep.

 

So very sick right now. I'll edit anything tmr. For now, enjoy! :)