New things

Crack In A Perfect Wall

 

 

My mum's chauffer brought our uniforms and school bag to the resort early in the morning. After gettig ready, we were both drove to school. My mum specifically did all these to make sure that we didn't skip school.

The moment we stepped out of the car, all eyes were on us. We haven't even stepped into the school building yet.

"Just ignore them," Junhyung said and started walking. I just followed and walked beside him.

In the school, its worst. Not only they were staring at us, but the whispers and gossips were unbearable. I'm used to people talking bad about us. I mean we are one of the troublemakers in school. But this time it was different. I dont know why. It just is.

Junhyung opened our locker and took some things while I just waited.

"Yahhh its the new couple of the school..." the guys cheered as they walked towards us as a gang. Junhyung rolled his eyes and ignored them.

"Junhyung! How can you not invite your own brothers to your wedding?? You bastard!" Dujun said smacking Junhyung's back while the others laughed out loud.

"And you said Jiyoon is not your girlfriend. Ayeee.." Dongwoon added, shaking his head.

Junhyung slammed his locker door shut and glared at his friends before taking my hand and dragged me away. His friends called him back but got ignored. We went into the classroom where only some students had arrived.

"They are your friends," I said as we sat behind in silence.

"I don't care. They pissed me off," he grumbled. I just sighed.

Junhyung put on his headphones and I took out my sketchpad. That’s the only way I can distract myself from the stares and whispers we’re both getting. Junhyung has a sketchpad of his own too but he rarely brought it to school. The first time I saw it, I was quite creeped out. Most of his drawings are sketches of me. When I asked him for the reason,

“I just love drawing you,” he said with a shrug.

“Don’t you get tired of drawing the same thing?” I asked.

He laughed. “You see these drawings right.. Do they look like they are all the same?” he arched an eyebrow, flipping the pages of his sketchpad.

“And you’re not a thing. You’re Jiyoon,” he added.

“Wow thanks for telling. I didn’t know that,” I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes. He just chuckled.

“So as all of you might have read in the papers, two students from our school got married last weekend. If you think that marriage life is very easy and you’re sooo in love with your partner, well good luck with that,” she said mockingly, pretending as if we’re both not there in the classroom. The students laughed at her remark when I don’t find it funny at all. Junhyung on the other hand had shut the rest of the world the moment he put on his headphones. Including me.

“Okay okay enough laughing. Let’s get back to lesson,” the teacher said, writing something on the board. I don’t know her name after being in her class for so long. In fact, I don’t really take note of the teachers’ names except our favourite teacher’s name. Mrs Song.

She’s the only teacher in the whole school that actually cared about us. That actually talked to us. The other teachers pushed us aside because we never pay attention and never do the works they give. In Mrs Song’s class is nothing different. But she still care for us. She don’t see us as the rubbish of the school, wasting our mothers’ money on school fees.

 

I was alone at the locker, taking some of our things when a group of girls -no scratch that- es, approached me.

“Hey girls, look at what we have here~” one of them said. I just ignored them.

“Can’t believe Junhyung is married to her. I mean he is so heavenly hot and she’s so out of his league,” another said.

The first girl laughed mockingly. “Do you really think it’s a real marriage? I think it’s a shotgun marriage. But you know her mother is a well known person. Of course she wants to cover the shame of her daughter getting an abortion.”

“Ayyee I really pity Junhyung. He have to wake up everyday and see this ugly face,” a new voice said. I was clenching my fist so hard that my nails are digging into my skin.

“Well at least she’s married to someone already. For you girls, I’m not surprised if you grow old alone with 9 cats,” I heard Junhyung’s voice say. I looked up from inside the locker and saw him standing beside me. He glared at the now timid girls before turning to me and dragged me away, shutting the locker. He seems to be always dragging me now.

He stomped to our secret place in school that no one else knows. Or rather, can’t go. It’s a closed corridor with a couple of benches and a locked door, somewhere at the back of the school. That’s the only place or room that is camera-free. I don’t know how Junhyung can get the keys to the place, but he’s the only one that has it. We spend most of out times there escaping from classes since the security won’t let us go out when school has not end.

As he let go of my hand, Junhyung locked the door and walked towards me by the benches. I was about to sit when he held my shoulders and forced me to face him.

“What is wrong with you??” he said angrily.

“What??”

“Since when did you know how to keep quiet?? Since when does Jeon Jiyoon remain calm and doesn’t fight back?? Why did you let those girls say all those things to you???” he shouted, shaking my shoulder harshly. His breathing was rapid and you don’t need a genius to tell that he’s angry.

I pushed him away from me and sat down, staring at the floor.

“Jiyoon! Answer me!” he shouted again.

“Did you think I wasn’t angry?? Did you think I didn’t want to fight back?? I do okay! I just can’t!” I shouted. I didn’t want to fight with him. But I can’t help but shout back with him shouting at me as if I’m deaf.

“Why??”

“Coz if I fight back, I might fall. In the past I don’t give a about falling. But now I have to okay! And its partly your fault too!”

Junhyung was silenced when he got what I meant. He banged his fists on an opposite wall and messed up his hair.

“ARRRGHHH!!!!!” Junhyung shouted angrily out to the open space. He breathe in and out heavily as he walked towards me. I thought he was about sit on the space next to me. Instead, he landed on the floor, infront of me. He rested his forehead heavily on my lap and tried to breathe normally.

I just sighed and the back of his head gently. “I told you we’re going to have to try new things from now on. Like how I can’t fight back anymore. Like how you have to start paying attention in class..” I said.

“Its just not fair..” he said softly.

“We brought this to ourselves, Junhyung.” He let out a heavy sigh and looked up at me, resting his chin on my knee.

“Since when do you learn to admit your own mistake?” he asked.

I scoffed. “Eversince the mistake change my life.”