Silence

Crack In A Perfect Wall

 

As days passed, I became quiet and so does Junhyung. He avoids his friends because he don’t want to end up fighting with them. The constant rumours about why we got married keeps on going. Seeing that both of us were really annoyed by it but couldn’t do anything, our friends didn’t bother to ask us anymore. They would try as much as possible to shut some mouths that’s been spreading the rumours but some things just can’t be stopped.

 

It was lunchtime after Mrs Song’s class and people were rushing out of the class to get to the cafeteria. As usual, the both of us just took our own time to pack at the back of the class. Mrs Song walked towards our table and I could see a symphatetic smile on her face.

“Hi Junhyung, Jiyoon..” she spoke as she reached our table.

Junhyung and I just returned her smile and bowed slightly.

“How are the two of you? I heard many things been going on now,” she said.

“We’re okay,” Junhyung replied.

She nodded. “If there is anything I can help the both  of you with, just tell me. I’m more than willing to help.” Mrs Song is more like our mother than just a teacher. She’s sincere and caring towards us. She doesn’t judge us and that’s what makes us comfortable to confide in her.

“Mrs Song..”

“Yes Junhyung?”

“Jiyoon is going to drop out soon and I have to start studying. I wonder if you can.. help me with my studies when I need help? I missed a lot,” Junhyung said.

“Drop out? Why? And of course I can help you Junhyung. You can just come to me if you have any questions,” she said with a smile.

“I’m sure you’ve heard of the rumours going around right? About our marriage?” Junhyung said.

“Yes.. But I don’t believe in any of them,” she assured us.

“Well believe it. Coz its true. About it being a shotgun wedding,” he said calmly. I just stared at the floor, biting my lower lip.

Mrs Song was lost for words for awhile.

“So when are you dropping out?” she asked me.

“When my stomach gets bigger, I suppose…” I said faintly. Mrs Song just patted my shoulder.

“You have to take good care of her Junhyung. You only have each other.” Junhyung just nodded and we bowed and walked out of the class.

 

For the past few days Junhyung had been doing the same thing again for lunch. He would hold my hand and drag me to the vending machine that sells breads and cakes. Then he would buy two or three breads –without letting my hand go- and bring me to our secret place. The cafeteria had became hell for us. The stares, the whispers, the finger-pointing, everything. Its just too much to take.

Junhyung had become my pillar of strength, shielding me from all these negativity. He had been doing that everytime since we’re bestfriends but now I feel that I need him more and he’s protecting me more.

 

We sat on the ground, leaning on the opposite wall. He took out the bread in his bag along with his water bottle. Silently, he offered me a bread. I shook my head.

I heard him sigh and he tore open the plastic. He took out the round bread and took a pinch of it. I noticed him pressing on the pinch of bread to make it flatter, just the way I eat my bread. Without any words, he just brought the pinch of bread to my lips, expecting me to eat it while tilting his head downwards to see my face.

I just opened my mouth and let him feed me. He continued doing the same thing but took turns to feed himself too. We ate in silence. We used to be chatty and noisy whenever we’re together. But I guess not anymore.

After eating, the bell rang just in time. Neither of us got up. I was resting my head on his shoulder and seeing that I wasn't getting up, he rested his head on top of my head. For now, let’s just rest and zone out. Forget about everything that’s going on.

 

Days changed to weeks. Weeks changed to months. Junhyung got a part time job at a bookstore--café and my baby bump was starting to show. I have to drop out sooner or later.

We were both sleeping one night when suddenly I feel an uneasy feeling in my throat. Thinking that I was about to throw up, I pushed Junhyung’s arm from my body quickly and rushed to the bathroom. I tried to vomit out the contents of food I last ate but only water was being spit out. I panted slightly and gurgled some water before going back to bed.

“You okay?” Junhyung asked sleepily, supporting his body by his elbows. I just nodded and lay back down beside him. My back was facing him when suddenly I felt him my back gently and massaging my shoulders every now and then. I wanted to tell him that he should sleep because he have school the next morning but I was feeling uneasy and his slight massage made me feel better. In the end I fell asleep.

The next day I went to school just to submit my form to drop out of school.

“Are you okay going home alone?” Junhyung asked as I stepped out of the office.

“Yeah. You can’t go out anyway,” I said.

“Text me when you reach home.” I just nodded.

He took out his wallet and took out a few bills and placed them in my hands. “Take the cab.”

“Ahni.. Keep this. I’ll just take the bus,” I said giving back his money but he pushed it back to me.

“Don’t fight with me. Just take the cab. I’m going back to class now. Make sure you take the cab,” he said. Before he went off he leaned forward and left a peck on my forehead, holding the back of my head. I walked off coolly but I was actually really shocked by his actions. He never ever done that before. Ever.