Kind Strangers

Crack In A Perfect Wall

 

The next morning after packing some of my things, which was not much since I fainted in school, Jiyoon sat by the waiting area while I paid for my hospital fees.

The nurse at the counter gave me the bill and I stared at it. Somehow I kind of expected the high sum because of the cold water spray to bring my temperature down. I let out a long heavy sigh and opened my wallet. I looked really pathetic when I had to take out all the money in my wallet. And by all, it means along with the coins. The nurse took my money sympathatically and gave me the receipt.

“Erm.. you have to go to the pharmacy to collect your medicine,” she said.

I shut my eyes for a second and tried to breathe normally. “Let me guess. That requires money too?” I said, looking at her.

She bit her lip slightly and nodded guiltily even though she did nothing wrong. “But you can opt for an instalment or there are some other financial assistance you can refer to here,” she added quickly.

“Can I not take the medicine?” I said.

“I don’t think so. But you can try and ask the doctor that checked you,” she said politely. I nodded and thanked her.

“Thank you Hana,” I said giving her a smile and walked away after witnessing her shocked face. Oh come on she’s wearing her nametag. What’s to be shocked that I know her name? Just for a second I forgot that I was married.

I went to where Jiyoon was waiting and sat beside her.

“I have to take my medicine from the pharmacy. Do you want to follow or wait here?” I asked.

“Is it going to take long?” she said.

“Depends on the queue,” I said simply.

“I’ll follow you then,” she said, standing up with some help.

 

Jiyoon sat among some other people while I went to queue. When I reached the front, I gave my name and the pharmacist checked my name. She was about to take my prescriptions when I stopped her.

“Um wait. Do you have some financial assistance or plans for patients who can’t afford to pay their medicine?” I asked politely. Unfortunately, the pharmacist wasn’t as nice as the nurse earlier. She sighed in frustration as if I was so troublesome.

She took two phamplets and put in on the counter.

“This one is for payment through monthly instalments. And this one is for subsidies from the government. You have to be eligible to apply for it,” she said monotonously.

If it was me in the past, I would have just give her the middle finger and walked away. But I can’t. things has changed and I have to too.

“I can’t pay by instalments because I really don’t have any money right now. May I know what are the criteria for the government subsidies?” I asked, forcing myself to be as polute as possible.

She rolled her eyes and passed me one of the phamplets. “Here. Read it and if you’re eligible, fill in this form and queue again,” she said.

“Next!” she called out to the person behind me. I just took both the papers and walked away. I heard her murmured something under her breath that made me want to take her head and slam it down the counter.

“If you can’t afford it, don’t get sick. Gosh..” she murmured. I clenched my fist tight and walked towards Jiyoon, breathing heavily.

I sat beside her and stared at the form. Seeing that I was breathing so rapidly as if I was about to explode, Jiyoon placed a hand on my shoulder.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” she asked.

“Let’s just go. I don’t need any medicine,” I said, crushing the form and phamplet into one ball.

“Huh? But I thought-“ I stood up and walked off before she could even answer. I threw the paper ball into a rubbish bin, not caring whether I missed it or not. Clearly I’m not eligible for the subsidy. The first thing that was stated in the form is your parent’s salary.

Jiyoon finally caught up with me and held onto my arm so she won’t be left behind again. She kept quiet knowing that I wasn’t in a mood to talk about anything. We were walking down the hallway when the doctor that checked me was walking in the opposite direction.

“Hello Junhyung. Going back already?” he asked with a smile. I just nodded. He glanced over at my hand and noticed I wasn’t holding onto any plastic with my prescriptions inside.

“Where are you prescriptions? Did you take it from the pharmacy?” he asked.

“I don’t need it,” I said, looking away.

“Don’t need it? Junhyung, how are you going to recover if you don’t take care of yourself? First you asked to be discharged earlier. And now you wouldn’t even take your medicine??” he said. I felt different hearing those words from him. No one ever took concern for me. Well except Jiyoon but she’s different. We had grown up caring for one another because our mothers are are too busy to care for us.

“I.. I can’t afford it,” I said softly but he heard it clear.

“There are subsidies you can sign up for. Or maybe instalments?” he said.

I looked up at him. “I don’t have a single cent in my pocket anymore and I’m not eligible for the subsidy.” The doctor looked surprised.

“Its okay. I’ll just take some panadol or asprins at home,” I said. I was about to thank him and leave but then he stopped me.

“Come with me,” he said and walked towards the direction of the pharmacy. I was still rooted to the ground and he turned.

“I’m not going to repeat myself,” he warned and I followed him, dragging Jiyoon along.

When we reached the pharmacy, he told me to wait at one side while he went to one of the counters. After talking for some time and signing some things, he walked back to us with a white plastic bag.

I frowned, looking at the plastic and back at him.

“Take your medicine. I don’t want you to get sick anymore Junhyung,” he said, handing me the plastic which happened to be my prescriptions.

“You don’t even know me. Why are you paying for me? I didn’t tell you because I want charity,” I said, feeling slightly angsty.

“I’m not giving you charity Yong Junhyung. I know you have your pride and all. But think of your wife and baby. If you’re sick, how are you going to take care of them? Think about it,” he said, sounding a lot like a dad to me.

“Why did you believe me? Who knows I’m just faking it all,” I said. Jiyoon tugged on my arm, telling me to stop but I just ignored.

He scoffed. “You are one stubborn kid. Fine. If you’re faking it, then so be it. I’m not giving you money. I’m giving you your medicine. Not trying to brag, but they are not that expensive.”

I cracked my jaw a few times, looking at the plastic on his hand. Eventually I took the plastic, earning a smile from him.

“Thank you,” I said.

“Thank me by taking it regularly and don’t let me see you in here anymore. Well, unless your wife is giving birth,” he said.

I let out a small smile and bowed slightly to him. He walked the both of us to the taxi stand and flagged a cab for us. He asked Jiyoon where we lived instead of myself and told the cab driver to take us home straight before I could even stop him. Both of us were forced to go in and he paid for the taxi fare, telling the cab driver to give us the balance if there is any extra change.

I couldn’t protest since he had already shut the door and bid us goodbye before going back into the hospital. During our journey back home, the driver asked us something.

“You’re lucky to have a father as a doctor,” he said, smiling. Not wanting to explain so much about the already complicated situation, I just smiled.

Even a stranger that had just known us for less a day can have the heart to help us. What about those who had been raising us? Who had given birth to us? Where are they when we need help? Sometimes I feel that both of us don’t have a mother and now we are totally on our own.

tumblr_mjw0ifmMbh1qi21mno1_r1_500.gif

Back from my 3-day getaway and the whole time I was there, i have soooo many things in my mind for this fic! :D Stay tuned and comment! ^^