A Day After

Crack In A Perfect Wall

 

We got married on a Saturday. Our mothers thought we want some time together so that let us stay at the resort the next day and then school as usual on Monday. They, on the other hand, went back to work. Yes, work on Sunday. I guess that’s how they got successful.

On Saturday night, after we had dinner with our mothers, we went straight to bed. I guess we’re both pretty much tired from just listening to our mothers’ plans and everything. I would only choose what I want to hear. And that is, they are giving us a house with everything ready. Other than that is all blabbering and nagging.

I glanced to my side. Jiyoon is probably asleep and her back is facing me. Although I didn’t want to wake her up, I can’t help but to toss and turn on the bed.

 

Flashback

“Can you stop moving??” Jiyoon said harshly as she turned her body to face me.

“I can’t sleep without my pillow!” I whined with a pout.

“Goshh! Here use mine!” she said and smacked my body with her bolster. She shut her eyes but this time she faced me. I hugged the pillow tight and tried to find a comfirtable position but I still couldn’t sleep.

I saw Jiyoon frowned with her eyes closed, obviously annoyed by my movements. Its my first time sleeping over at her place and I’m being such a fuss. Not that I care anyway. But I can’t sleep!

“Do you need me to sing you a lullaby??” she said frustratedly with her eyes closed.

“I can’t sleep because the bed is unfamiliar. The bolster is unfamiliar. Nothing is familiar here!” I complained.

“I need something familiar to hug so that I can sleep…” I whined. Jiyoon just grunted and continued sleeping, ignoring me. I looked around to find at least something. My bag would be too hard for me to hug. And then it hit me. I pushed Jiyoon to lie on her back.

“Yah!” she shouted but her eyes were still close. I slide my arm underneath her body and pulled her towards my chest.

“What are you doing pabo..” Jiyoon mumbled sleepily on my chest.

“Hugging something familiar so I can sleep,” I said as I hugged her closer to me. She just sighed and hugged me back in a more comfortable position.

End of flashback

I need to sleep. Although we’re not in the best situation right now, I need to sleep. I need my bestfriend. I swallowed my pride and scooted closer to her. Acting casual, I placed my arm around her and hugged her, snuggling my nose on her soft hair. She didn’t move away but she didn’t turn either. Within seconds, I fell into a deep slumber.

 

The next morning I woke up when the bright sun shines into our room. I glanced downwards and Jiyoon was still sleeping soundly on my chest. As I stared at her features, I thought to myself what would our future be like after this. My only one bestfriend is now my wife. The mother of my child. All these are too much to take in all at once. Will she still be my bestfriend? Have I just lost my bestfriend forever just because of one mistake?

She moved slightly and snapped me out of my thoughts. I just realised too that I was caressing her cheek gently with the back of my hand. I quickly moved my hand away as she started waking up. Not knowing where to look, I faced the ceiling.

 

Jiyoon’s POV

I woke up the next morning as I felt something on my face. As I looked up, Junhyung was already awake. I was torn between getting up or continue to lie there until he decides to get up first.

“Do you want to go out today?” he asked. I can feel his chest going up and down as he breathes. He seems calm.

“So we’re talking now?” I said. He just kept quiet.

“To where?” I asked back.

“Anywhere. There’s a beach, a hill, a bridge somehwere, restaurants,..” he replied.

“Yeah why not,” I said. However, neither of us got up.

“Jiyoon-ah..” he spoke suddenly.

“What?”

He sighed. “Let’s.. try not to fight okay?” he said, rubbing circles on my back.

“Didn’t we just got off a fight?” I said.

“I said try,” he emphasised. I pouted. Of course I don’t want to fight. The situation is already bad as it is. If we fight, isn’t it going to be worse?

I just nodded. “We’re going to try a lot of new things starting from now,” I said.

“I can’t take care of you. But I’ll try,” he said.

“I can’t take care of myself but I’ll try.” For the child.

He chuckled. First in many days after the big news about my pregnancy. I just smiled.

“Can we just pretend all this didn’t happen for now?” he said.

“How?”

“You know its like we’re situated to stay in the same house for the time being because our mothers are overseas or something. And we go to school, and pretend like we’re still the same,” he said.

“Okay. But all that pretend will end when I drop out of school and you have to work part time,” I reminded him.

“Yeah…. Let’s not think about that first. Now we’re just on a holiday without our mothers nagging at us to wake up,” he said. I just laughed.

“Okay you can bathe first,” I said, rolling off his chest and lying flat on the bed.

“No no don’t try to act all nice. You go bathe first,” he said.

“No you stink more so you should bathe first,” I said, trying to push him.

“Nah-uh.. I know you’re going back to sleep if I bathe first. You go!”

“As if you wouldn’t do the same.. At least I don’t sleep like a pig! So you bathe!” I said, poking on his chest.

“Ha-ha. Who’s the first one to wake up this morning huh?” he said. I looked away and he laughed.

“Who’s the pig now??” he laughed.

“Still you!! Go bathe you lazybum!”

“Finally you know your own name! Yes yes go bathe!” he said, pushing me back.

And the pushing of who to bathe first continues.

 

Finally the both of us were preparing to get out of the resort and just walk around. Junhyung end up bathing first because I tricked him that the shower tap could not turn and when he got in, I quickly went out of the bathroom and shut the door. Even when he’s inside he still struggled to get out and insist I bathe first. I just held on to the door like it was my life and finally he gave in.

“Where do you want to go first?” he asked as we stepped out after breakfast. Wow he’s actually asking me? As far as I know he just go wherever he wanted to and I have to fight with him to get to the place I wanted.

“Let’s go to the hill first!” I said happily.

“To the beach it is!” he said, smiling widely. Yeah. Typical Junhyung.

 

"I can't sleep.."

image