Troubles

Crack In A Perfect Wall

 

Junhyung’s POV

I put up my hand hesitantly.

“Yes Junhyung?” Ms Lee said, acknowledging me.

“Erm.. I don’t understand how you get the value of x from the second working,” I asked, pointing to the board. Instead of explaining, she laughed.

“Well of course you don’t understand! You see I’ve thought this over and over again but I guess you were too busy then to pay attention right? I’m not going to waste the class’s time explaining something I already did. Its your own loss for not paying attention Junhyung,” she said and continued teaching from where she left off.

Some students glanced at me while some sniggered to each other. I clenched my fist on the table and my jaws tightened. Only God knows how much I want to punch the teacher’s face. But I can’t. I can’t afford to get expelled now. I have to get a good certificate to get a better job. I breathe in and out slowly and stared at my book. I’m trying so hard to study but none of the teachers would help me. Aren’t teachers paid to teach no matter how stupid the students are?

School ended after that horrible lesson. I don’t understand anything from it most of the time and the Ms Lee’s remarks aren’t helping either. I find myself getting headaches over and over again, trying to absorb everything. I took out my phone and stared at the wallpaper. Surprisingly, looking at the photo is the only thing that keeps me going. A photo of me and my bestfriend. And now she’s my wife. Somehow that fact still hasn’t seep into my brain yet. I have to keep reminding myself again that I’m now married. That Jiyoon is my wife. That I’m going to be a father to a child in 9 months time.

 

I was walking out of the classroom when I heard someone called me from behind. I’m too lazy to turn so I just kep walking. I need to get to work anyway.

“Junhyung! Yah wait up!” Dujun stopped infront of me, panting.

“What? I need to go to work,” I said.

“Can I go with you?” he asked after he had caught his breath.

I raised an eyebrow. “What for?”

“Can’t I? Besides, we haven’t talked for a long time bro,” he said, placing a hand on my shoulder.

“Yeah okay,” I shrugged and we walked out of the school.

 

“So how’s life?” Dujun asked as we walked to the bookstore. I usually take a bus but since he wants to talk then we’ll just walk.

“Okay,” I answered simply.

“How’s Jiyoon?”

“Fine.”

“Bro, come on. You’re not like this. Do you need help in anything? I’ll help you in anyway I can,” he said feeling a little bit irritated with my one-word replies.

I scoffed. “I need help in Maths, Science, English, and every other subject that I have to take. I need help in getting my bestfriend back. I need help in getting a better job so I can support my family. So take your pick.”

He stuttered for awhie before decided to just shut up.

“You can’t help me bro. I don’t blame you,” I said.

He sighed. “Whatever it is, I’ll always be here. You know, if you need someone to talk to or rant to, anything. I can’t help you with studies coz I don’t study myself.”

I just gave him a small smile and nodded.

~

I walked in our house and found that the light in the kitchen was on while the other lights were off. I frowned slightly and walked to the kitchen.

“Urgh what’s wrong with this thing??” Jiyoon grumbled to herself, pressing on the buttons of the microwave. I chuckled silently and leaned against the wall on my side, looking at her fiddling with the microwave.

I heard some beeps of the buttons as she pressed on the buttons again. “Huh? Wait no no! No stop stop! Arghhh!!” She pulled on her hair and walked away from the microwave.

“If you don’t cook my pizza, I swear I’m going to throw you out the first thing in the morning,” she said, glaring and pointing at the microwave. I just smiled.

She turned at jumped slightly when she saw me by the entrance of the kitchen.

“H-how long have you been standing there??” she asked.

“About 5 minutes..” I said as I pushed myself off the wall and walked towards her.

“What are you doing?” I asked.

“This! This thing is spoiled!” she complained, pointing to the microwave.

“Really?” I checked the microwave and it seems to be working just fine.

“There’s so many numbers to press and the instructions on the packet doesn’t help at all,” she pouted.

“So have you eaten anything since morning?” She nodded.

“Some bread, cereal,..”

“Why didn’t you eat something heavy?” She looked down at her feet. I didn’t need need to ask actually. Jiyoon has always depend on her maid to cook food for her. One time when her maid went off to her village for an important matter, she went over to my house just to eat.

“I’m going to have to start teaching you some basics or you’ll starve until I get home,” I said, putting my bagpack on one of the stools.

“But you just got back..” she said softly.

“You, sit here. And watch,” I said as I guide her to another stool and push her down to sit carefully by her shoulders.

I taught her the basics like boiling water, making instant ramen, and most importantly, how to use the microwave.

~

“Do you have work tomorrow?” Jiyoon asked as I was preparing to go to school.

“In the afternoon. Why?”

“Tomorrow I have another round of scanning. Do you wanna come?” I’ve always missed her appointments because of either school or work. I always hesitated to let her go on her own but she said she didn’t mind going alone. All I can make sure is that she took the cab to and fro the hospital. Taking the train or bus would be too tiring.

“Yeah sure. Morning?” She nodded, smiling slightly wider.

I smiled back and peck her forehead before going off to school. It started quite weird for me to kiss her like that since I’ve never done it before. But as time goes, I find it normal and it had become a habit to leave her a peck on the forehead or cheek. Since we couldn’t hang out like best buddies anymore, that is almost like a sign for me to tell her that we’re in this together. That I still love her as my bestfriend. As a wife.. maybe not yet.