Just for You

Crack In A Perfect Wall

 

“What are you doing?”

I turned and saw Jiyoon by the door.

“Nothing much. Come in,” I said, turning my attention back to the box in my hand. Jiyoon squatted beside me with some difficulty.

“Hey hey don’t squat. Sit on the bed Jiyoon-ah..” I said, helping her to stand up and walked her to the bed.

She chuckled as she sat down. “My stomach isn’t that big yet. I can squat. Its not like the baby would come out if I squat,” she stuck her tongue out.

“Ayeee~” I pinched her nose lightly.

She peeked inside the box I was holding. “Why are your headphones and bags in here? Are we moving?” she asked.

“Ahni. I don’t use them anymore. So I’m planning to sell it,” I said.

“Huh? You always use your headphone! And this bag, isn’t it one of your most precious bag? You wouldn’t even bring it to school because you’re scared that it might get ruined.” I kept quiet, looking down.

“Jun, are you okay?” she asked, placing a hand on my shoulder.

“Yeah,” I forced out a smile. “I can buy some earpiece to replace the headphones. And I don’t really use the bag so what’s the point of keeping it right?”

“Junhyung, I know I’m your wife now. But that doesn’t stop me from being your bestfriend. You’re selling these for money right?” she said. I guess I really shouldn’t have tried to hide anything from her. were in this together. She have the rights to know.

I nodded slowly, sighing. “We’re seriously lacking of money now. But don’t worry. I’m taking a second job this coming break and these branded stuffs can get some amount of money too.”

She bit her bottom lip and stared into the box. She stood up and walked to the studyroom. She came back with some things in hand. When she stood beside me, she placed the things into the box I was holding.

“If you’re selling your things, I’m selling mine too. And take back one of your headphones. You need them,” she said sternly. I let out a small smile and leaned forward to hug her, kissing the top of her head.

I pulled back and smiled at her. “Thank you,” I said softly. She scoffed.

“Bestfriends don’t say thank you or please remember?” she smirked. I laughed and knuckled the side of her head slightly.

 

Weeks passed and before we know it, its already mid term break. I took some extra classes that the school offered for those who need extra guiding for the exam after the break. I got a second job at a public library for the weekends only. My classes are in the morning and it only takes up 2 hours so it didn’t affect my job at Chillz.

After confirming with my mother one day whether the house is really mine, I took the decision to sell it. We bought a 4-room apartment quite near to Chillz so I just have to walk a few blocks to work. Ater facing so many problems, I got to say that luck has been on our side the past weeks. But both of us know we can’t always depend on luck.

I got home one night after a long hard day of work. It was packed the whole say because out boss decided to have a 20% discount on every popular drink and customers just came rushing in. The occasion? He’s opening a new branch somewhere in the town area.

“Jiyoon~” I called out as I stepped into the house and closing the door behind me. It had became a habit eversince we moved in and she liked it so I just kept doing it. I took out my shoes and placed them on the rack when she suddenly popped out her head from the kitchen.

“Here!” she smiled brightly. I chuckled, making my way to the kitchen.

“Its already late, what are you still doing up?” I asked, sitting by the counter.

“I was baking! Try it!” she said happily, showing a muffin right infront of my face. I looked at it warily.

“Er.. I got school tomorrow..” I said, looking at her.

“It’s edible okay! And you won’t get sick! I’ve tried it..” she pouted. I made a face and took the muffin slowly.

I unwrapped the paper cup slowly and looked up at her. “Is this chocolate?” I asked.

She nodded, smiling.

“I’m allergic to chocolate,” I said, handing her the muffin.

“No you’re not! You can’t lie to me!” she protested. “Fine fine! Don’t eat it if you don’t want to to!” she took the muffin and turn her back to me, obviously sulking.

I laughed and stood up, walking nearer to her. “Okay okay I’ll try it. I’m just kidding~” I said, hugging her from behind. She was still pouting excessively, holding the muffin in her hand. I rest my chin on her shoulder.

“Feed me?” I said, opening my mouth wide.

She took the whole muffin and shoved it in my mouth. I frowned at her as she giggled happily. I took a bite and she caught the rest of the muffin before it could fall onto the floor.

“So?” she asked, looking at me expectantly. I chewed slowly, as if trying to taste every single ingredient like a professional food critic. I made a face, looking at her.

“Its not nice?” she said, unconciously making a cute sad face. A smile crept out of my face.

“Its like one of the muffins sold at Chillz!” I said.

“Really??” she beamed and took a bite of the muffin. “Its does, doesn’t it?” she said, proud of her own success. I just smiled and nodded, slowly letting go of the backhug.

“Now let’s clean this up and go to sleep okay? You need the rest,” I said.

“Okay. You can shower up and I’ll clean. You need the rest too,” she said, pushing me out of the kitchen.

 

I stretched my body as I lay on the bed after showering and changing into shirt and ¾ shorts. Jiyoon came in after switching off the lights in the kitchen and living room and closed the door behind her.

She let out a tired sigh as she lied down beside me. She yawned so wide that I was quite worried her jaw would lock. I placed my hand over and she chuckled.

“Goodnight Jun,” she said and shut off the bedside lamp. I closed my eyes and started drifting off to sleep. At times when I’m relly tired, I became a light sleeper. Seems weird but that’s how I am. And that is when I started waking up again after about 15-20 minutes of sleeping when I felt a slight movement beside me.

I opened my eyes slowly and saw that Jiyoon had sat up and was pressing on the sole of her feet continuously. I frowned a little, looking at her.

“Jiyoon?” I asked sleepily.

“Oh! You shocked me!” she turned and held on her chest. “Go back to sleep. Shh shh~” she tried to coo me to sleep but instead I sat up.

“Why aren’t you sleeping?” I asked, rubbing my eyes.

“Oh nothing. Just go back to sleep okay?” she said.

“Are your legs aching?” I asked, glancing at her leg. I know pregnant women usually have sore legs and back because the baby they are carrying starts to get heavy.

She shook her head. “Just slightly. Its okay, go back to sleep,” she smiled, pushing me to lie down.

I shook my head and went to the drawer to take some ointment. I placed a pillow against the headboard and lead her to lean on it. My eyes were half opened when I uncapped the bottle and poured some on my palm before massaging her legs. She kept protesting that I should sleep but I just ignored her.

“Jiyoon-ah.. Stop moving your legs,” I said sleepily.

“Junhyung, go to sleep. You’re obviously tired. I can do it myself or just sleep it off and the pain will go away,” she said.

I can’t help but chuckle. “If its painful how can you sleep? Its okay.. Husbands are supposed to do this anyway. Sleep if you want. I’ll move you to a more comfortable position when I’m done.”

As I massaged her legs, I could tell that she was trying her best to keep herself awake but she eventually fell asleep. It makes me feel good though. It means my massage is comforting enough to make her sleep. After I was done, I wiped my hand on the bedsheet (too tired and lazy to find a proper towel) and moved her down to lie flat on the bed.

I hugged her to sleep, patting her back as if comforting a child to sleep. She snuggled on my chest and both of us fall into a deep slumber.