Smile

Crack In A Perfect Wall

 

The chime rings when the front door of the bookstore opens. Jiyoon to sat somewhere at the corner while I go to counter.

I chucked my bagpack under the counter and wore my nametag. One of the workers that work as a barista of the café went over to Jiyoon.

“Would you like anything to order miss?” he asked politely.

“Oh nothing for now. Maybe slightly later,” she said with a smile, looking up from her book. Jiyong hyung just bowed slightly and went over to me.

“Our first customer is pretty. Hee~” he whispered to me, grinning.

I raised an eyebrow. “Is she?”

“Are you blind?? I saw you walked in with her just now. Since you didn’t make a move on her, I thought I’d try,” he chuckled.

I cleared my throat. “She’s not available.”

“How do you know?” he asked, doubting me.

“She’s my wife,” I said quite protectively. Jiyong hyung’s jaw literally dropped with his eyes blinking in disbelief.

“Wife?? But.. but you’re just 18!” he said rather aloud.

I laughed. “Why do you think I need to work here?”

“I don’t know.. Teens nowadays just want the extra cash you know. To buy what they want,” he said. I just smile and shrugged.

“So what’s your wife doing here? Scared that you might flirt with the customers here?” he nudged me playfully.

“She said she’s bored at home. So yeah..”

He turned to look at Jiyoon and then at me and back again at her. But then his stare lingers.

“Yah hyung. Quit staring at her. She’s not that pretty,” I said, feeling a little bit defensive that some other guy is checking out Jiyoon.

He chuckled and turn to me. “I guess you are blind Junhyung..” he said and walked off, shaking his head to himself.

I glanced over to Jiyoon and tilted my head to the side. Her hair had grown slightly longer now. In the past, she wouldn’t even let her hair grow to her shoulders length. Her face was very focused while reading the book and she would her lips occasionally. Her lips are pouty I realised. It’s a pity I forgot what they taste like since we were both drunk at that time. Damn Yong Junhyung what are you thinking? Are you actually checking out your own bestfriend?? But she’s my wife now! Still!

I shut my eyes and rubbed my temples lightly. These voices in my head are giving me a headache. Should just start on work now.

 

“Junhyung, you can take your break now,” said Joon who was taking over my place while I go for a 30 minute break. He usually arranges the books in the store or place in new arrivals. He lets me take my break whenever he’s free.

“Thanks Joon,” I said smiling to him and walked to the café area.

“Two iced chocolate mint latte and one oreo cheesecake,” I ordered.

Jiyong hyung totalled the orders and I paid for it while he told the other barista my orders. “Someone’s got a big appetite today,” he commented.

“Not for me hyung,” I said.

“Ahh.. I forgot your lady is here. You two make such a sweet couple you know..” he said, putting the plate of cheesecake on the tray.

“Yeah maybe,” I said simply.

“Is it a boy or a girl?” he asked as he put the two drinks on the same tray.

“Huh?”

“Your wife is expecting right? I just realised the book she was reading,” he said.

“You’re one curious hyung huh..” I said and took the tray and walked towards Jiyoon.

“Yah you didn’t answer my question!” I just chuckled and continue walking.

 

“Aren’t you hungry?” I asked as I placed the tray on the round table infront of her. I sat down and put in the straws into our drinks.

“Now I am!” she said happily seeing the cheesecake. I just smiled. She closed her book and start sipping on her drink.

“What are you staring at?” she asked, frowing at me. I didn’t realised I’ve been staring at her while she was drinking.

“Nothing,” I said coolly and took my drink.

“Have you thought of buying those dresses that mothers wear when they are pregnant? I can buy for you if you want,” I said, changing the topic.

She stopped eating abruptedly and looked at me in disbelief. “Seriously? You want me to wear that?” she raised an eyebrow.

“Why not? So you’ll look more pregnant and random guys won’t think you’re still single to be checked out on,” I said, taking the fork from her hand and took a slice of the cake.

She scoffed. “Who on Earth would check me out?” she rolled her eyes, taking the fork back.

“You never know you know. Especially when your hair is now longer like this,” I said.

“Are you saying I’m pretty?” she smirked.

“Is there any word in my sentence that says you’re pretty? You’re thinking too much Jiyoon-ah..” I said and drank my latte.

“It’s called reading between the lines,” she smiled. “Its okay if you don’t want to admit it though. Perfectly fine to me.”

“Whatever Jiyoon,” I said and wiped the corner of with my thumb. “And eat properly!” She chuckled and continued eating.

I was looking on the table when I caught sight of her hands. Our wedding ring looked so perfect on her finger. Unconciously, I took her hand and across her fingers with my thumb. Seriously Junhyung?? Even her hand looks pretty now?

“Are you.. okay?” she asked cautiously.

I looked up from her hand and just smiled as if nothing weird just happened. “Yeah,” I said, placing her hand back on the table.

“Let’s see how far have you read this book..” I said taking her book. She bookmarked her page with the latest picture of the ultrasound scan of our twins. Seeing the picture just made me smile and I took a longer look at it.

“Don’t forget to put my bookmark back,” she said. I laughed.

“Why didn’t you use a real bookmark instead?”

She shrugged. “I just like seeing that everytime I open the book.”

 

Your comments just made me wanna update everytime! Heeee~ Thank youuu <33