Realize

Dangerous Territory

Fact: July 14, 2012 -- BoA admitted that she frequents pubs back by herself and then talk to the bar tenders back in Japan ; December 10, 2012 -- AVEX confirmed the release of Only One JPN single. However, instead of releasing it on February 20, 2013  as originally planned, it was moved to February 27, 2013 due to an unknown reason.

- - - 

She broke her promise.

Sitting at the bar by herself, she bore her gaze towards the glass of beer in her hands.

About a week ago, she was supposed to be back in Korea. But because she was so heartbroken, she chose to void herself from everybody and enjoy the solitude of sadness.

How ironic and pitiful.

BoA gripped the glass in between her hands tighter when a man stood in front of her. A bit distracted, she looked up and was greeted by a warm smile.

'It's been a while.' BoA closed her eyes and nodded her head. She knew him from a few years back when she had found this small bar by accident with Yunho. It's almost funny how she always finds herself back at the same spot whenever something bothers her. 'I wonder if I'm allowed to ask why you look so sad this time...' He hummed in a low voice.

BoA chuckled as she shook her head. 'Just... stuff.' She answered evasively as she finished her favorite drink.

The man kept on smiling in understanding as he poured her another round. He knew exactly what her favorite was. The mere thought was almost calming. That at least somebody knows just what she needed at the moment.

'I heard you're coming out with a new Japanese single, that's great.'

BoA bit her lip guiltily this time. 'Yeah, but I think we have to push back the release date by a few days...'

'Really? Was it because you're ditching work when you're supposed to be preparing for it?'

BoA looked away in embarrassment. He was too quick at figuring out her circumstances and she felt even more horrible than before.

The owner of the bar didn't know BoA on a personal level but he's seen her enough times to sense the turmoil in her heart by instinct. And as always, he's always accurate with his guesses.

'I... I just needed time to think by myself,' BoA mumbled in a small voice, in a final attempt to redeem herself.

'Well, that's a valid excuse,' the man agreed without a hint of prejudice.

'Really?' BoA perked up in surprise, her eyes hopeful. For the first time in a while, somebody actually accepted her act as not running away from her problems and responsibilities. That she's doing it because that's what her honest feelings compelled her to do.

'People need to acknowledge their vulnerable side once in a while. It's not exactly healthy to act tough when you're dying inside anyway.'

BoA chuckled, glad to have his company. 'It's not that bad...'

'Still, enough to push you to the limits.'

BoA knew she lost the argument but it honestly made her feel better inside. 'Mister, how many times have you seen me hang around here?'

'Since 2009, then it's probably about the 4th or 5th time now...' He trailed off as he tried to remember the past and then smiled. 'But this would be the first time you've visited without your friend.'

The young lady tucked her loose strands behind her ear as she relaxed on her seat. She gave him just enough information for him to figure out the rest of what she's going through exactly. The thing that had been bothering her for the longest time now.

Understanding the situation a bit more, the owner grabbed a glass of beer for himself and sat across his guest as the soft jazz music continued to play in the background. For a Saturday night, it was pretty slow. But at least that gave the two a more relaxing time to just talk and let loose.

'That guy, Yunho, I've always thought you two looked good together.'

BoA had a short, satisfied smile. 'You can tell?'

'Of course. To be honest, between the three of us, you're probably the only one who didn't know about this.'

BoA had a moment just to ponder about this. 'Was I that dense?' She pouted.

'Of course you were!' The owner blurted out and then followed his statement with a hearty laugh.

BoA furrowed her brows together in puzzlement. 'But how come I never knew any of this stuff but apparently everybody does?' She whined, resting her chin on the palm of her hand as the other played with her hair.

'Don't you think that's a perfect indication just how much you two suit each other?' He continued mysteriously with a glint in his eyes.

'I don't get it,' she admitted with a bit of frustration in her voice now.  It perplexed her that out of everybody, she's the one who was out of the loop.

The owner nodded in understanding. 'Don't you think the fact that you never noticed was because he's that much a part of your life already?' The shock that reflected in her eyes was priceless. As much as she was confused, it suddenly all made sense. 'I mean, you wouldn't even be able to realize all that if that mutual connection wasn't broken in the first place. Am I right? Of course I'm right.'

BoA was speechless. It finally hit her that it was not because for the first time, she fell in love that her calm was destroyed. She has always loved Yunho. But for that unspoken consciousness to suddenly get interrupted, set her heart in chaos and confusion.

Her companion was right. She was so used having him around that he became a part of her life. Tapping into her feelings a bit deeper, she realized that what she's feeling was beyond meeting the love of her life. What she found was her other half. The one that can make her complete.

BoA needed a moment to process everything in her mind. She sat silently on her chair, replaying moments she shared with Yunho for all those years.

She realized that because everything came so naturally between them, his confession rubbed her the wrong way. Like a brewing storm ready to destroy the calm of the sea on a perfect day. She was forced to think of stuff that should have been left to blossom in silence. It was a sudden and unwelcomed change. Only because she wasn't prepared with the transition of their evolving relationship.

Still, how could she have missed everything until now. She's an idiot. And for her to actually claim to be one was out of the ordinary. She should've searched deeper inside her heart and evaluated her true feelings before she started pushing him away.

She hurt him. She hurt the both of them.

'I never realized the pain I've caused him...' She confessed burrying her face in her clammy hands. 'Now what do I do?' Her eyes were pleading -- desperate to get any answers. She felt as if she was driven into a corner with no way out.

Because she messed up.

The owner, sympathetic as always, leaned closer towards BoA wearing a mischievous smile on his face.

'Well, here's a thought. Why don't you start righting everything by making him happy on his special day...'

'His special day? What special day?'

The owner looked at her in disbelief before answering. 'If I'm not mistaken, his birthday will be in a few days time?'

'Oh, right... of course... It'll be his birthday in 2 days as a matter of fact.' BoA said, amused.

Her companion hid his face behind his hands in what BoA could only interpret as out of his own embarrassment.

'It's only because my daughter is such a huge fan of you two that I come to know all these trivial stuff,' he confessed, still not taking his hand off his face.

BoA smiled kindly and touched the owner's shoulder. She definitely cannot waste people's kindness like this. For all those people who have helped her realize her true feelings. If there's anything she can repay them with, it would be by being honest with herself and not giving up on Yunho.

She realized that she can't give up on Yunho.

'Mister, next time we're Japan, we'll definitely visit you and meet your wonderful daughter.'

The owner finally peered into her eyes and saw her sincerity. The way she's finally able to make her choice. That undeniable determination.

And above all, he did not miss how BoA referred to herself and Yunho. Together.

Satisfied, the owner smiled in return. 'We'll be anticipating for that day, then.'

 

*

 

Author's Note:

Just a quick update. At least, that's still progress :3 Thank you for sparing your time to read this. Woot!