Call My Name

Dangerous Territory

It would be a lie if she says she wasn't feeling anxious as she walked the crowded hallway of the airport.

Compared to her usual, she took her time cruising around, trying to build courage before facing all of them.

She admits that it would've been much easier for everybody if she had just gone ahead and told them her plans of going to Japan the day after her concert, instead of skipping the normal protocol of her agency and disappearing for several days without a proper explanation or at least an excuse. What she did was intolerable but on top of that, she also broke her promise with her manager.

That was most unforgivable. Not to someone who had given up her own life just so BoA can survive this industry.

Because of her careless actions, she disrupted a chain of production process that ultimately affected her Japanese single release. She's just really lucky to be blessed with a great manager that they managed to  control the situation before it escalated further, enough to ruin her career for good. And this isn't exactly the right timing for that so to speak.

Quite truthfully, she had no idea just how much she compromised herself when she decided to go to Japan. She literally shut herself while she stayed there out of depression so now that she's back to reality, she had to brace herself for the blow of her actions.

As BoA neared the exit, she could already see the people waiting for her outside. Both her brothers stood outside with a stern look on their faces and at their side was her manager who looked just as upset as they were.

Now, finally in front of them, BoA tried to wrack her brain to find something witty to tell them as a greeting. Unfortunately for her, she didn't even have the time to come up with anything because Soonwook was already scolding her.

'What the hell were you thinking disappearing like that, BoA? Do you know how worried we were?!' And although it was Soonwook who has been scolding her, BoA can't miss the coldness emitting from the eldest of the Kwon's.

Soonhwon has always been the less outspoken between her brothers but when he does open his mouth, it automatically means that something's wrong. Or at this point, it was BoA who was in deep trouble.

'Mom and Dad were so upset! How can you not at least tell us you'll be flying out of the country?! Even if it's Japan, you should have the common sense to let us know!' Soonwook almost screamed.

'I didn't have time to--'

'That's no excuse BoA, and you know that,' Soonhwon said icily.

'Maybe we could've been a little more forgiving if you had just gone back right away but you didn't and you... You didn't even have the decency to call us?!' Soonwook was saying, feeling incredelous as all four of them entered the van, away from the public's eye.

Squished in between her brothers, BoA felt like suffocating. And her manager hasn't even said anything yet.

'We'd appreciate it if you can at least tell us why you flew to Japan,' Soonhwon asked softly as he peered into her eyes. The van fell into an awkward silence just waiting for her to explain herself.

Her manager who was sitting at the passenger seat fell silent herself, just awaiting for her big confession. As somebody who works so closely with BoA, it was logical that her family members would go to her for an explanation of her disappearance but because she respects BoA's privacy, she kept mum about the whole thing even if it meant getting hated by the Kwon's.

She closed her eyes and waited for BoA to unveil her soul.

'I'd like to know, too,' Soonwook interjected. 'Call me crazy or whatever but all I can think about was that you did this for a man. There can't be any other reason,' the second born looked dead serious even if it was a theory more fitting as a lame joke.

Another awful silence followed that only made everybody uncomfortable.

'Wow, Soonwook. Then you must be real crazy.'

'Yes, oppa.'

'And BoA agrees with me.'

'No, I mean...' She trailed off as she took a deep breath. 'Soonwook oppa was right. I did go to Japan to meet a man.'

Her brothers stared at her. 'BoA, don't play with me...' The director was now saying, unconvinced when he was the one who brought it up. Even Soonhwon wasn't buying it. It was a wild guess, BoA wasn't supposed to admit to it. That doesn't make any sense.

'I went to Japan to meet with Yunho.'

'Ah, Yunho...'

'Yunho? Why Yunho all of a sudden?' The second born asked in puzzlement, a stark contrast from Soonhwon calmness. The thing was getting weirder by the minute. They just wanted the truth so they can all move on with it.

'I honestly thought that if I were to like somebody and it ended up being Yunho, you two would be the first ones to congratulate me.'

The brothers exchanged nervous glances in stunned horror. It was a tiny wish they've been keeping for themselves because they knew BoA would never agree to it. Plus the fact that she would flip if she knew such thought ever crossed their mind. But to actually -- finally -- hear it directly from her was beyond their wildest dream and Soonwook cannot help but break into a grin.

'I dunno what just happened but I'm liking it!'

'But, Yunho came back to Japan shortly after our conversation over the phone,' BoA's manager said after a long period of silence.

Soonhwon watched as BoA's expression changed. Disappointment was painted all over her face and for the first time, he understood exactly what had happened.

'You went to Japan to tell him your feelings but you didn't even get to see him at all, did you?'

Her manager clapped her hands on stricken with horror. The tension in the air was unbearable. With that, BoA didn't have to explain her side any longer. They just knew what kind of heartbreak she must've went through. Suddenly, she looked so pitiful like an abandoned child.

How is it that both of them can never be on the same page. Shouldn't destiny be on their side and not against them?

'BoA, Y-Yunho came to me that day when you were supposed to meet with him,' her manager said quietly.

'Really? Did you tell him I was in Japan?' BoA regained her hope after hearing this. Yunho was looking for her. It was just a missed opportunity for the both of them apparently and somehow, this is good news.

'I tried. I mean, I wanted to tell him since he was already looking for you anyway but when I came back for him after I got us some tea, he was already gone.'

'Then just call him. If he was looking for you, then just tell him you're back and ready to meet with him. I don't see why this can be more complicated when it isn't even an issue.'

BoA's manager sighed as she started rubbing her temples again. 'I don't think it's that easy. BoA,' she called, slightly turning her body to face the little giant. 'It didn't make any sense before but I think I'm seeing the bigger picture now,' she explained with a sigh. 'He must've seen your picture in Japan and that probably gave him the wrong impression. Though this is still pure speculation.'

'Picture, what picture?'

Her manager pulled out her tablet and showed her a series of pictures with her and a man at the airport. There were a lot of them and if somebody was seeing that for the first time, there's no doubt that they will tag this as a scandal.

BoA's brothers were also awestruck, not believing the escalation of the issue.  Without them knowing, there was already this huge scandal under their noses.

BoA knew she couldn't afford a scandal at this point. Not when she's about to release a single in Japan and there's already a lot of project proposals offered at her doorstep. She can't risk her name for all that. Especially not with Yunho.

But the thing spiraled and a chain of unfortunate event just snowballed on its own.

'Damn, lover boy's heartbroken because of you!' Soonwook teased that earned him a solid punch to the gut. 'I'm kidding of course. It's not like he said he liked you. I'm just saying...'

BoA's sudden silence wasn't amiss.

'Oh god... Don't tell me he actually did!' At this point, Soonwook abandoned every intention to stay mad at BoA and just dig deeper into her relationship with Yunho because this is what big brothers do, dote on their baby sister.

'It's clear enough that you liked Yunho and of course, it's the same for him but why aren't you together?' Soonhwon's boldness caught her off guard. Indeed. If both of them are in love with each other, how come their relationship ended up so badly.

BoA recalled the conversation she had in Japan. How she was made to understand that Yunho's already part of her life without her realizing it. That it took a major disturbance in that calmness for her to notice just how much her heart changed because of him.

'I guess I wasn't prepared then,' she answered honestly. 'Somehow I knew I've always loved him but the way everything was made clear took me by surprise and I ended up shunning him instead.' BoA went on with a heavy heart. And the worst part about everything was that she dragged other people into this mess.

'So what do you plan on doing now?'

BoA glanced at her manager with a meaningful smile in her face. What she plans on doing from now on was to bring back what was loss between them. Their friendship, their love.

How she'll be able to do that, she has no idea but she has to start somewhere.

'Admitting that you love him, too would be a good start, no?' Soonwook suggested and then simultaneously curled his fingers. 'That was so cheesy. I'm sorry baby sister...'

Soonhown and BoA chuckled at the unbelievable remarks the second born has been dropping, but were both thankful for lightening the gloomy atmosphere. They wouldn't want to burden BoA anymore so giving her a reason to smile was best.

'I'll figure it out.'



The ride home was long. The Kwon's dropped off their manager at the office while BoA opted to visit her parents before reporting back to work.

When they got to their house, their mother was already by the gates waiting for them anxiously. She rushed towards her only daughter with tears in her eyes.

'Please promise me not to disappear like that ever again! I was worried sick!'

BoA was equally teary eyed but all she could manage was to nod her head as she tightened her embrace on her mother.

It has been such a long week but it won't be ending anytime soon.

BoA stayed at her room for the rest of the day just thinking to herself. Both good and bad memories flashed in her mind. She refused to make them mere memories because she wouldn't want to live her life giving up on things that is very important to her.

Later that night, BoA went to Soonhwon's room. Her eldest brother decided to stay for the night so all five of them can be together even for a short while. That made their mother more at ease, too. It has been so long since she had all her children at home.

'Oppa,' BoA squeaked from behind the door.

After a few seconds, her brother opened the door for her with a gentle smile on his face, as if he was expecting her to turn up sooner or later.

'I'll take care of them, you go and meet with Yunho.'

BoA's eyes widen in shock. Her brother knows her too well. She's grateful that she didn't have to explain herself and that they are being so supportive of her.

'I'll be safe. Thanks, oppa.'

Without another word, BoA left the house with a silent prayer that everything will turn out alright.

Truthfully, she never had a clear plan on how to fix her problems when she got back to Korea. Only the desire to come clean with her feelings. Obviously, it wasn't that easy on her part. Not with someone with such a personality as her.

But her feelings was already at the point where she didn't want to lose Yunho and that it can't be helped anymore. She wished it wasn't too late to start again. Heck, she can't even wait until tomorrow before meeting him.

A few more minutes of driving to Seoul, she was now facing the front of his (and Changmin's, most unfortunately) sophisticated apartment complex. She looked around, catching any paparazzi outside. When she saw no one, she stealthily got out her car and got in the building. She never realized how long it has been since she last cruised the hallways of his apartment when she used to visit him a lot in the past.

There was a huge downpour of nostalgia that washed over her as she stood at his doorstep. What does she need to do? What does she have to say to him? Her thoughts were in chaos and her heartbeat in an erratic outburst. It was overwhelming.

'I  want you back... I need you back... Please, just call my name...' She whispered to herself like a prayer on her lips.

Yes.

For him to call back her name again would be enough. For her to hear that special ring in his voice, like a reminder of a never ending sweet melody. She missed everything about him that her heart ached so much. It doesn't even matter if he doesn't love her anymore, as long as she can have him back in her life.

But that was equally selfish.

Another minute passed by with just her standing at his door step, feeling conflicted as ever. The desire to see him didn't die down but she was at loss with what she was feeling inside. Sighing, she turned around only to come face to face with Yunho.

His unexpected presence was like a sweet burden on her shoulders. BoA watched as his eyes fell on her and for the first time in forever, she's finally looking at those warm eyes. Warmth spread across her body and started to crave for so much more.

Which was unfair, but it didn't matter. She wouldn't excuse what she was feeling for right now.

She continued to stare at his face until finally, he opened his mouth to utter that one word she longed to hear from him.

'BoA.'

 

*

 

Author's Note:

And they finally meet! Like seriously, what the heck. The last time we actually had a real YunBoA interaction face to face was from Chapter 10! And even then, Yunho and BoA only had a very short interaction in this chapter, by the end of the fic. HAHA!

But do not fret my fellow YunBoA shippers because next chapter... NEXT CHAPTER I say, until the end...!!!! We'll have so many fluffy YunBoA moments you're gonna barf rainbows. LOL! Please stick with me for a while longer. This is ending very soon :3

I'm very excited!