Breathe Again

Dangerous Territory

Fact: January 2013 -- Filming of Disturbance mv

- - - 

'And... cut!'

BoA took another second before she snapped out of her zone after filming the last scene for her music video. She blinked a couple of times, took a deep breath, and then sighed. For some reason, she was too caught up playing her role. She had to remind herself over and over again that the song she have written wasn't her story to tell, but a story that was born from other people's memories.

But then, she found herself stand still for a few more seconds, just trying to ask herself the same question over and over again. Should she just let the time go by or to return back to how it was before, with him...

Damn, I need to stop this.

'BoA! Good job on today's taping,' the producer greeted giving her a pat on the shoulder. 'You were amazing!'

'Ah! Thank you for your hard work as well!' She exclaimed excitedly as she tucked a couple of loose strands behind her ear. The producer smiled at her, wanting to say some more but then decided against it. He nodded one last time before proceeding towards her brother.

BoA was by herself again. She watched as the staff started cleaning up the place. It left a bittersweet feeling in her heart but all things eventually comes to an end so she silently told herself not to dwell on it too much.

BoA then started walking towards the rest of their crew and greeted all of them on the set, bowing at the same time. It didn't take long when she saw Taemin's approaching figure from her left. The man who acted alongside her as a result of an unexpected last minute casting.

A smile tugged at the corner of her  lips as he stood by her side, extending his arm.

'Here!'

'Ohhh... What's this all of a sudden?' BoA eyed the bouquet of sunflowers in his hand. Taemin just smiled at her as he extended his arm, gesturing for her to take it. 'I see that you don't feel like answering my question...'

Taemin remained smiling but this time, he pointed for her to look at the bouquet of flowers and look closer. Her eyes drifted on it and saw the little envelop slipped in between. She looked up in the hopes of asking her companion some more about it, but the young lad was already out of sight as quickly as he came.

'That little rascal,' she mumbled as she picked up the envelop with slightly trembling hands. She already have an inkling who sent for it (who else?) and just that thought alone was enough to make her heart skip a beat.

She unfolded the card and read the following messages:

'Congratulations for the completion of your new music video, BboA. I'm sorry.'

It took a moment for the message to sink in. He was clearly still bothered by the unpleasant incident last time as much as she was. She closed her eyes and sighed. Her heartbeat started hammering against her chest and she almost believed that for a second, it's going to run away from her.

Of course it was from him. Sunflowers has been their unspoken code to refer to each other since years before. Still, it was hard to hide her surprise at this unexpected greeting. BoA merely brushed her hair away from her face, hiding a small smile she couldn't suppress any longer.

This Yundol really knows when to give my heart a sommersault...

And then she half snorted.

But he's also making it extremely difficult for me to forget him.

'Why are you smiling by yourself?' Soonwook asked as he approached his baby sister. Despite catching her sister in a weird state, he still has a satisfied look on his face. It was obvious that he was very pleased by how things were wrapped up beautifully and on schedule. Above all, he was genuinely happy and very supportive of BoA since the beginning and for that, she will always be appreciative of it.

'Oh it's nothing...' She mumbled. 'It's just that Yundol sent me these flowers,' she continued as an after thought, showing her brother the bouquet in her arms. He was going to ask anyway so instead of going through that awkward conversation, she decided to just lay out everything under the sun.

There was an obvious change in Soonwook's expression that followed. His happy tune was silently put to rest and BoA knew right then that she have some explaining to do.

'But didn't he...'

BoA shook her head and smiled thoughtfully. She felt that in some way, she might've worried her brother. After all, it wasn't too long ago when the two had a little scene during the meeting. Nobody addressed it directly but she knew they worried a lot of people including him (even Changmin had called that day and the trouble she went through to answer him evasively was stressful). And as a family, she's responsible for assuring her brother that everything's okay.

'Is there... Well... I don't see you hanging out with Yunho lately and... Maybe... I'm not sure. I was just thinking that... You know... You two cool, right?' Soonwook rambled, uncertain if he should just go ahead and ask directly or if he should just stay away and wait until everything returns to normal.

He had wanted to have a serious talk with her for a while now but Soonwook was never the type to meddle with his sister's affairs no matter how bothered he was. He knew she could take care of herself just fine. And little arguments are supposed to be normal between two people who cares for each other, anyway. But if BoA would get into a serious disagreement and have ill feelings for anyone, he had hoped and prayed that at least, it wouldn't be between her and Yunho.

It was just so unimaginable for him.

It was hard for Soonwook to stop thinking about that scenario because next to his happiness, BoA's was his immediate priority. And he knew that BoA's true happiness lies between her and her relationship with Yunho, even if it's something she was still unaware of.

It actually bothered her brothers how she can be so totally oblivious of that when they're practically inseparable and that Yunho is the only man who will always be the person by her side.

Always.

In fact, for that reason alone, Soonwook was confident when he suggested Yunho as BoA's partner for her Disturbance music video. It was great experimenting with actors to couple with BoA, just like from her previous 'Only One' video but soon he realized that he didn't have to go through trial and error to find a great man to match her sister when that man has always been beside her.

Unbeknownst to BoA, when her brothers are by themselves, Soonwook and Soonhwon would always wonder how wonderful it would be if in the end, their sister would end up together with Yunho. Together,  in a relationship that is more than being friends. If only they have the guts to tell it directly to her (she can get really scary when you get on her bad side) then maybe they could strike that idea into her head sooner. Anyway, it's time for her to change priorities and settle down.

'Well... we had a little argument,' BoA finally admitted. She was careful about the choice of her words. More than anything, she didn't want unnecessary questions from him and truthfully, she really didn't know how to answer them.

'And...?'

'I don't know...' She mumbled quietly as she looked down, a blush coloring her cheeks. She paused and breathed again, regaining more confidence and conviction to carry on her decisions. 'But we're gonna fix it, don't worry...'

Soonwook looked at her closely and then saw her serene face. There wasn't a trace of insincerity in her eyes nor ill feelings reflected on them. That was only when Soonwook can truly relax. From here on, he wouldn't have to worry about her little sister.

'Then that's good.' Soonwook smiled and pat BoA's head. BoA made a face and tried to yank her brother's arm away to stop him from messing up her hair. The playful bantering between the siblings went on for a few more minutes before they realized another person looking at them.

BoA's eyes widened, her breathing a bit  constricted as she gazed forward, her eyes landing on her.

'A-Ara...'

She almost choked her words out. It was pathetic how transparent she was and the way she's acting in front of her.

'Oh, how sweet that your bestfriend decided to visit you on the set despite the late hours,' Soonwook said, regarding their new companion with a smile. And although he was saying the truth, the word bestfriend somehow burned a hole in her heart. 'I'll leave the two of you alone so you two can talk. I'll see you around Ara!' The young director waved before walking away, unaware of the awkward air he left.

The two looked at each other quietly, measuring both their willingness to be in each others presence. They never addressed any ill feelings between them but BoA felt the dreadful atmosphere eating them. The situation was mutual.

She began to feel anxious.

Surely, Ara wouldn't be there without a purpose. And the thought was close to making her go insane with anxiety. She accepted their reality. But confronting it was a different story.

'Congratulations for the completion of your new music video,' Ara said in her sweet voice but with a tinge of hesitation in them. Also, BoA had noted that she even said the exact same thing as the one from Yunho's short message for her. There was an unpleasant feeling brewing inside of her and she had to kill it right away before it grows.

'Uhm... T-thank you...' BoA answered awkwardly, lowering her gaze to the ground. The pounding of her heart was incredible. She thought she was ready to face her. But all of a sudden, her confidence have evaporated.

Ara didn't miss the way BoA answered her in a way that was so out of character. She wasn't insensitive enough not to acknowledge it. And true enough, she's probably the reason why BoA's acting that way, anyway.

Ara sighed. It had come to the point that she needed to explain and fix everything. To straighten things out once and for all.

To bring back their lost friendship.

'Unnie,' she began one more time, 'we need to talk...' Ara's voice was slow -- careful. There was every intention to clear up any misunderstanding between them and BoA felt that it's finally time to face it.

She looked at the younger woman's eyes and saw how hollow they were, swollen, in fact. How Ara's fingers quivered and her lips pressed together in a tight line. BoA knew she's carrying something really heavy on her shoulders and she would be stupid not to see all that.

BoA heaved a sigh.

'Yeah... We have to,' she answered with a smile but with a light heart. And for the first time in a very long time, she was able to breathe again.

 

*

 

Author's Note:

Well just look at that! We're finally seeing some progress with the story! Yay! Can't beieve it's almost a year since I started on this story and I'm still not done with this! Aigoo! Oh well, I've been working hard on this so I hope you don't abandon this story just yet!

Please anticipate the next chapter, it's one of my faves. Yay!

Thanks again for picking this up <3