Bestfriend

Dangerous Territory

Fact: October 2008 - - BoA's American debut with Eat You Up ; September 2009 - - Heading to the Ground drama with Yunho and Ara ; November 2012 - -  Yunho and Ara Dating Rumor 

- - - 

'How do you like this place?'

She scanned around the coffee shop, while sitting comfortably on her chair. It was quiet and spacious. There was a soft melody in the background to fill the silence. The paintings that were on display against the wooden interior of the place, was also to her liking and the fact that they have sunflower at the counter made it even better. 

'I'd say it's my new fave spot in Seoul,' the older lady answered, her eyes smiling as well. 

Yeonhee sat back on her seat with a satisfied look. It's been a while since the two got the chance to hang out together. That's why when BoA's bestfriend asked her if she wanted to go out, she immediately said yes. 

'And what about your coffee? Your cake?'

BoA took a bite and then took a sip of her coffee. Her dimple deepened and she couldn't help but break into a smile. 'I think you already know my answer,' BoA mumbled taking another bite of her cake. 

The two were silent for a while, enjoying the serene moment. While immersing themselves with the soft piano instrumental in the background, BoA caught her friend stealing glances of her. The fifth time she noticed it, BoA laid her mug on the table and looked at Yeonhee straight in the eyes. 

'I tried not to be obvious, I swear!'

BoA just chuckled if only not to make it awkward for the two of them. 'But seriously, is there something wrong?'

Yeonhee paused. Her feature softened and for a second, BoA knew she shouldn't have asked.

'Is there anything wrong?' The younger girl echoed. Yeonhee narrowed her gaze on her companion across the table. It was a test to see if she was lying. 

BoA debated for a moment whether to just tell Yeonhee her concerns or continue carrying the burden by herself even if she's already found out. At the same time, she didn't want to influence her bestfriend and make her choose between her and Ara. Isn't it why BoA kept all her feelings to herself for this long in the first place?

BoA's brows furrowed and Yeonhee saw the distress in her bestfriend's features. She sighed and relaxed her tense muscles. 

'I understand that it may be a difficult subject for you to talk about so it's okay. You don't have to tell me anything for now.' She locked eyes with her unnie while she said her piece. 'But when the time comes you're ready, please don't forget that I'm always here to lend an ear.'

BoA bit her lip and casted her head low in embarrassment. Between the two, she should be the one comforting her junior but here's Yeonhee, already lending her shoulder before she even asked for it. She was truly touched and she couldn't thank the heavens enough for giving her such a wonderful friend. 

'Thank you for always understanding,' BoA said quietly. She's starting to feel the need to share her thoughts with someone and perhaps Yeonhee's the perfect person to hear her out. She braced herself, not knowing how her bestfriend would take the downpour of her emotions. 'Actually--'

'Ah! Ara!' The young actress squealed when she noticed their other friend enter the shop. Despite the big sunglasses she was wearing, Yeonhee could spot Ara right away. 'I didn't know you invited her as well,' Yeonhee excalimed, glancing at BoA's direction. 

'I did not call her...' She mumbled. She could feel her face draining of color so before Yeonhee could notice, she grabbed her mug and pretended to drink her coffee, burning her lips in the process. 

'Really? But such great timing. Actually, she was the one who introduced me to this place. I didn't know she still frequents here,' she went on. 'Wait here, I'll surprise her.' Yeonhee was already poised to leave when a man stood behind Ara unexpectedly. Like her, he was also wearing huge sunglasses. Yeonhee watched as Ara glanced behind her, acknowledging the man's company casually as if they came together. 

BoA noticed the hesitation in Yeonhee's features. The younger lady looked confused and alarmed. The fact that she's still rooted on her spot when she was so ready to catch their other friend's attention was also worrisome. 

Leaving her no other choice, BoA turned around and saw the staggering scene herself. 

Yunho and Ara. 

BoA's chest tightened, as if she was suffocating underwater. She tore her eyes off them and tried not to fill her head with any more stabbing thoughts. 

Yeonhee took her seat back and let out a long sigh. 'This is quite unexpected...' She mumbled as if talking to herself. 'Are they dating for real, now?'

No matter how shocked BoA was at that time, those few words definitely knocked her out of her reverie. BoA shot her friend a sharp look that in a way, made Yeonhee anxious. It was as if she just stepped on a ticking bomb, ready to explode. 

'What... Do you mean... By that...?' BoA managed to ask in between heaps of breath. She was trying so hard to control her shaking but not without compromising her breathing. 'Yunho and Ara...? Dating? This time, for real?'

Yeonhee swallowed. She didn't mean anything bad by saying it but she felt like she ruined her bestfriend's great mood from earlier. She felt so apologetic but pinpointing for what reason BoA was feeling like that, Yeonhee couldn't quite understand. 

'You see unnie, the two starred in a drama series together. A few years back...' Yeonhee started cautiously in an attempt to explain her previous comment. 

'When was this?'

'Uhm... Towards the end of 2009 maybe?' BoA nodded as her past played right in front of her in memory. 'But it's funny how just recently, another dating rumor about the two came up again.'

BoA took a moment to gather her thoughts and all of a sudden everything was starting to make sense. It's beginning to dawn on her why she was only hearing about this, 3 years later and as to be expected, those were indeed the worst of her life besides now. 

Before she could fathom the abrupt change of her career direction, she had announced her US debut in September 2008 and for a whole year, she's been busy promoting herself in a foreign land. To add, around the end of 2009, she's been going back and forth between US and Japan. Her schedule was so hectic that she couldn't even talk to any of her friends during that period. She was totally detached and exhausted to even try and reach out. It has always been by herself. She never felt so alone and lonely in her life during that period and before she could control everything that was happening, she fell into a slump. 

'What recent rumor, though?' BoA managed to croak out before her mind was completely consumed with a wave of painful realization. 

Yeonhee thought for a while. 'Last month, in November, the two sparked another rumor.'

Again, it made sense.  

Because of the recent rift between herself and Yunho, she stopped being in contact with him and anything that could be an association with him, she stayed away from it. She even came to the point that she avoided reading the news paper or watching any news clips just so she could live in peace. Nobody ever told her anything as well which was a bit regretful. She could've prepared herself. 

But she won't blame Yeonhee for her heartaches because the constant phone calls Yunho has been getting from Ara should be a clear indication of their relationship.

She wouldn't blame Ara either. If it was her choice to love Yunho, BoA knew better and she should concede with that as a good friend to both. Ara wouldn't be able to stop what she was feeling anyway. There's always a reason why everything happened the way they did. 

In this case, it's because BoA turned him down when he told her he loved her. 

If she's suffering now, she's not allowed to regret any of her decisions because that time, she was sure it was what she wanted. 

But it's different now. When she became more aware of her true feelings for Yunho,  she was far too late for a new beginning with him. 

And her confidence has slowly been crumbling before her. 

'But if they do end up together, I'll be so happy for them.' BoA had a tight smile on her face. It wasn't Yeonhee's fault but deep down, BoA hated hearing those words. The truth hurts and maybe she deserved all the pain. 

Still, why?

Why of all people, God would bring two of her bestfriends together like this. She couldn't betray either of them. She's a horrible person if that thought would even cross her mind. And like that, she's been driven into a corner. BoA can't even fight for her feelings and she felt her body weakening just with this mental blow. 

She fought the tears from rolling down her cheeks and concentrated on a more cheerful memory. 

Her cheerful memory of Yunho smiling for her. 

Her bestfriend's smile. 

Her bestfriend...



Bestfriend...



No.

Yunho.

 

*

 

Author's Note:

I'm not sure if the timeline makes sense. But basically, what I wanted to emphasize here was that Yunho and Ara's developing relationship isn't something that just happened. That they have more history together way back in the past. BoA didn't realize the extent of their "closeness" because she was far away, detached from everything else.

Oh man, everything is just going down for this lady and I apologize for it...

On a different note, thank you for still reading this story! Thanks for the 3k hits! Hihi! I didn't realize that it's been so long since my last upload! My ghad. I've been incredibly busy but rest assured, I am not abandoning this story. As a matter of fact, I'm already in the process of writing the ending for this. Hihi! But before that. you'll have to read more of this. HAHA!

BTW, there's no more Tahoma font on here?