Culture Build Up: Traditional Festivals

Learn Mandarin With Me! (Music Version) -- Extra Study Materials

 

 


 

Culture Build Up!

Common Greetings and Traditional Chinese Occasions.

 

 

List of Occasions

新年 [xin-nian]

= New Year

 

新 [xin] = New

年 [nian] = Year

New Year falls on the 1st day of the 1st Lunar Month.

-- Chinese doesn't follow the International Calendar but the Traditional Calendar and the dates are different.

 

What do we do?

Usually there are fireworks display, spending time with our family, a Reunion dinner is a MUST.

Not forgetting the Red Packets! (:

 

 

 

元宵节 [yuan-xiao jie]

= Lantern Festival

元宵节 falls on the 15th day of the 1st Lunar Month, which marks the end of the Chinese New Year.

 

What do we do?

People eat TangYuan (Glutinous ball) on this day as well, the reason for this is to celebrate the first Full moon and the ball is round which represents Unity and Harmony.

 

 

 

清明节 [qing-ming jie]

= Tomb Sweeping Festival

清明节 is 104 days after the Winter Solstice Festival (冬至), that one whole month would be meant for descendants to visit, clean and make offerings at Ancestral Gravesite.

 

 

 

端午节 [duan-wu jie]

= Dragon Boat Festival

It falls on the 5th day of the 5th Lunar Month.

 

What do we do?

There would be Dragon Boat Race going on, Chinese would eat Dumplings wrapped in either Banana leaves or the more traditional one, Lotus leaves called 粽子 [zong-zi].

-- This is to commemorate the Ancient Poet 屈原 Qu Yuan.

 

 

 

七夕[qi-xi]

= Magpie Festival

 

The Chinese Valentines' Day, which falls on the 7th day of the 7th Lunar Month.

-- According to legend, the goddess "Zhi Nü" fell in love with the farmer boy "Niu Lang", but was disapproved by her mother goddess. As punishment, they were separated by the Milky Way and could only meet once a year on this night.

 

What do we do?

There can be shows, musicals, exhibitions happening in China. And also, since it's Valentines' Day, people do confess to their lovers, so on and so forth.

 

 

 

中元节 [zhong-yuan jie]

= The Ghost Festival

This falls on the 15th day of the 7th Lunar Month.

 

What do we do?

Burn fake paper money, incense paper and make offerings to ancestors and the dead to appease them, so they will not come and trouble the living. (Source: WiKi)

-- (As for my family) We do make offerings to ancestors as well and we do believe that the spirits are out for their 'New Year' so, Parents would warn their children to not stay out late at night to prevent anything from happening.

 

 

 

中秋节 [zhong-qiu jie]

= Mid-Autumn Festival

This falls on the 15th day of the 8th Lunar Month.

-- Misconception: People call this the Lantern Festival which is not that accurate. The misconception might be due to us lighting up lanterns on this day.

 

There's a legend to this as well, the Chang Er.

-An ancient story of Chang Er and Hou Yi whereby, Chang Er is a really beautiful lady and Hou Yi is the legendary Archer.

**To find out more, click here and check out Version 2.

 

What do we do?

Like I said, we light up lanterns, eat Mooncakes and have tea along with our family members.

 

 

 

重阳节 [chong-yang jie]

= Chong  Yang Festival

This falls on the 9th day of the 9th Lunar Month.

 

What do we do?

Chinese do visit their ancestors' graves to pay their respect and make offerings.

 

 

 

冬至 [dong-zhi]

= Winter Solstice Festival

**Usually falls on the month of December, as for this, I hadn't really check when is it for this year (2013).

 

What do we do?

Have Tang Yuan and perform ancestor worship, Feast day, family gatherings, also named "Chinese Thanksgiving"

 

 

 

**As for the greetings, simply add 快乐 [kuai-le] behind the festivals to say "Happy... (event)."

 

So, all these are just for knowledge, you all can choose to remember it or not, it's up to you.

I did this so that we, as fans, would be able to send our greetings to our idols :p

And also, do try the food mentioned, they are just so delicious!

 

 

Just for information, this Year's Chinese Lunar New Year is on 10.02.2012.

As for New Year Eve, it's called the 除夕 [chu-xi].

 


Re-published: 02.02.2013, 2:10pm