CHAPTER 10

Changsub’s Kiss


It matters to us all. He was the promised salvation from the death of many. It kept repeating in Hyunsik’s head. What does the bastard vampire meant?

Hyunsik was on his knees for a few more minutes before he got up and rummaged through the ruined house for his things. He still knew exactly where his room was and easily took his bags and the book from Minhyuk’s ancestors under the ruins. He breathed and flew towards the direction of his own house where Minhyuk and Eunkwang should be waiting.

First it was Changsub and now the vampires… seems like there was more than just the great chaos and Hyunsik needs to know now. Time is ticking for them:  Changsub on their trail and not knowing where to find Ilhoon and if he’s still alive.

Hyunsik pushed higher to the clouds, letting the cold chill numb him for the moment.

There were no longer smiles in his eyes, it was only pure determination to end everything. To save his brother, his bestfriend, and who’s left in their kind.

**

Changsub blinked twice. He doesn’t know why but he felt uneasy…a scary feel in the air that he only felt now ever since he came back. The same feels when…when…

“Vampires.” He hissed.

**

“Eunkwang!” Hyunsik had been shouting even though he wasn’t in his vicinity yet. “EUNKWANG!” He dropped his stuffs as soon as he landed and forced his wings back in him as he run towards his basement office.

Minhyuk was tending to Peniel and Sungjae, wrapping them with thick quilts and placing them on the make-shift bed near the heater. Hyunsik was frantic to talk with Eunkwang and the latter just got back in the room and Hyunsik quickly grabbed both his arms, breathing heavy.

“What’s wrong?” Eunkwang winced, “Ilhoon? Where’s Ilhoon?”

“Why do the vampires need Ilhoon?” Hyunsik ignored Eunkwang’s questions, “Why do they need him? What really happened in the past? Tell me! Tell me now, Eunkwang!”

Eunkwang can feel Hyunsik’s grip tightened, he can’t understand what Hyunsik was saying but the look of desperation from the man’s eyes gave him chills.

“Hyunsik.” Minhyuk was at their side, his voice panicking, “You are hurting him.” Eunkwang was trying to steady his breathing but can feel extreme pain on his arms now.

Hyunsik stared at them for some more seconds and finally let go of Eunkwang. Minhyuk tended on Eunkwang’s bruises immediately and they were both thankful that there were no broken bones.

“Where’s Ilhoon?” Eunkwang repeated, letting Minhyuk heal him as he observed the disturbed Hyunsik pacing back and forth in the room.

“He was taken by the vampires.” Hyunsik answered and stopped to look back at them, while the other two were in shock, “Jaejoong said Ilhoon would be the salvation of many, what does he mean?”

Minhyuk and Eunkwang gave him blank stares, not knowing the answers as well. They were all silent and the only sound was the soft buzz of the heater. Hyunsik finally sat down on his grand office chair and rested his head back. Eunkwang’s bruises were finally gone and Minhyuk rested beside Peniel and Sungjae.

“This is more complicated than what I thought.” Minhyuk broke the ice, “I thought we only need to stop Changsub’s plans, bring back the souls of these two, and live like the old days. But damn…”

“But we know that the vampires would be back.” Hyunsik sighed frustrated, “Changsub’s stir just making it early.”

“I’m sorry I’m no help.” Eunkwang said, “I’m trying my best but it seems like when my emotions and fears play on me, that’s the only time I can use my powers.”

“It’s understandable.” Minhyuk smiled weakly at him.

“I’m trying though.” Eunkwang smiled back, “While we were on our way here, I was trying. But I guess when I’m in an adrenaline rush I cannot.”

“I’m sorry I’ve hurt you.” Hyunsik spoke but his eyes were still closed. “Ilhoon’s my brother and I’m just too torn who to help first. More than Changsub, we are trying to beat time.”

“So…do you have plans in mind?” Minhyuk asked and didn’t really want to hear the answer because when Hyunsik opened his eyes, Minhyuk knew they’re to do something impossible.

“We need to save Ilhoon.” Hyunsik said, resigned but firm with his decision.

*

“Jihoon.” Changsub was out in a field, trying to still the playing souls inside him. Peniel and Sungjae’s souls were giddy inside him and he needs to take full control of them. He can say he likes the “happy” feeling the souls were giving but it contrasts the hatred that should be only burning in him.

“Yes.” Jihoon was at his side, staring at the same empty horizon.

“The vampires are back aren’t they?” Changsub knew it was a stupid question but he just needed to hear it out loud. Too soon. Just too soon.

“Yes.” Jihoon answered, “We’ve been keeping track about them and it seems like the coven from the far east has been alive lately. We just need to have a confirmed sighting of Jaejoong and we will know it’s the main hideout.”

“They’re too powerful but they’ve been hiding.” Changsub smiled, “I wonder what they’re scared of…but I didn’t know they’ll be back this soon.”

Jihoon’s phone then went off, “Okay, send it to me now.” He clicked on end and an instant message was sent on his phone. “It is indeed Jaejoong’s hideout, master. And…”

Changsub faced him when Jihoon trailed off his sentence. The latter was handing his phone and Changsub took it from him, and had a surprise seeing the picture on it.

Jaejoong was at the entrance of the mansion, surrounded by his minions. But what really shocked him was what Jaejoong’s carrying in his arms.

“Hyunsik’s brother.” Changsub said out loud, extreme curiosity in his mind. “What do they need of him?”

“We will try to find out fast.” Jihoon answered.

For a moment Changsub was lost in his own thoughts. A pang of worry crossing his mind and heart as he remembers how Hyunsik took care of him back then, how he worries when Changsub gets hurt or sad. He can just imagine his friend’s smiling eyes turning into grumpy ones – it only happened once when they were kids. It was a time when Changsub needed to go up to the mountains and do meditation with his father. They weren’t able to come down from the mountains on time and Hyunsik was literally crying because of worry. Changsub found it funny how his supposed to be “savior” cries more than a baby, but that sealed them as bestfriends. What more for his real family?

Changsub can feel Sungjae’s soul soothing him down, the soul feeling his own pain. He shut it down, growling silently and breathed.

“Find out about it fast.” Changsub commanded, “Know more about that kid. I don’t think he’s really Hyunsik’s brother. And Tomorrow I will take more-“

“But that’s dangerous-“ Jiihoon retorted, knowing that taking more  than one soul could kill Changsub.

“It was just a precautionary.” Changsub answered and finally the souls within him settled in fear. “And I don’t have much time, knowing the vampires are back.”

Jihoon didn’t say anything more, knowing that Changsub will do what he needs to do.

**

Minhyuk was panicking when he didn’t wake up when his phone alarm went off. He quickly checked on Peniel and Sungjae, grabbed their wrists and could barely feel a pulse rate.

“HELP!” He shouted and it didn’t take long for Eunkwang and Hyunsik to be at his side.

Minhyuk was already on Sungjae, giving him some CPR like movement but it was more of giving a part of his soul to the younger boy. Eunkwang did the same to Peniel, and they only stopped when they heard a loud pump from their hearts.

“That was close.” Minhyuk breathed, a bit drained from giving a part of his soul.

Hyunsik remembered Eunkwang telling them that Minhyuk found a way how they can be saved. “Was that how we can save them? Forever supplying them us?”

Minhyuk smiled, color quickly getting back on his cheeks. “That’s how we can maintain their physical body alive, well, I should really add some syringe for food. But yeah, I read that we should keep them fed not more than twenty four hours.”

“There is still hope for them.” Eunkwang said softly, obviously depleted. He wasn’t able to control and gave more of him to Peniel and he needed Minhyuk’s help to regain his strength, “If we can get Changsub give their souls back but…”

“But?” Hyunsik help Minhyuk lift Eunkwang to the makeshift bed. He was happy with the good news that they have a way to revive them back but hearing a BUT scared him.

Eunkwang was to talk but fell right into unconsciousness when he drank the potion Minhyuk gave him.

“I need to hunt.” Minhyuk then said, making sure that his patients were comfortable first, “If you could come with me? I don’t think I have enough strength if ever Changsub’s decides to attack. Not that he needs to take our souls now but he can always kidnap us.”

Hyunsik nodded, “Ofcourse, ofcourse. But how about them?”

“Peniel and Sungjae are useless to him now.” Minhyuk just smiled, “And Eunkwang’s heart beats like a human for now. They’ll be safe and we will be only gone I guess for a couple of hours?”

Hyunsik nodded again. “But tell me what the BUT part was…”

Minhyuk then looked at him in the eye, sadness masking his beautiful face. “I will. Let’s go.”

 

TBC