CHAPTER 7

Changsub’s Kiss

 

Changsub felt light, flashes of gold feathers mixing in his black ones. He liked it, a relaxing sensation after taking Peniel’s soul. He can also feel the changes in his power, his senses sharper. Jihoon had tags of Peniel for over a decade now and he was the last in line in the yellow-winged Takers. Changsub always liked them, they’ve always been the party mover when they have gatherings. The energy of light that comes from them had a blissful effect but can also control the surges of electricity. They’ve always been good to Changsub’s family but… they also abandoned them in the time they were needed the most.

Still, for some reason, Changsub had asked Jihoon to take Peniel’s body back to the latter’s apartment. Peniel’s body can last long but nobody would know what happened to him and his last night’s disappearance was cleared as an act of the performer.

Five more. Changsub thought. Tomorrow they hunt for another, a popular artist that radiates charisma over-confidently. He his television and stared at the pretty boy’s face on the screen doing fail comedic acts. “You’re mine tomorrow.”

*

Hyunsik stretched out his energy to take Eunkwang as fast as possible to his friend’s house. Minhyuk, a healer and a Taker, would know what to do to save him.  He lied to Ilhoon about Eunkwang’s state, the damage was actually critical.

He watched as his brother’s scared eyes focused on the space in front of them. Ilhoon kept close and stayed alert, taking more control of his wings.

Finally, Hyunsik saw the red roof of Minhyuk’s mansion, hidden in an island. He signaled Ilhoon to follow him as he zoomed down. They were in front of a very tall gate after and Hyunsik punched a code on a high-tech lock around the steel. Minhyuk was able to place a force around his house, so everybody would only be able to get in through the gates. Hyunsik knew the password since he had been friends with Minhyuk for a very long time.

A beautiful boy was at the front porch and immediately helped him to carry Eunkwang inside the house. They were lead to the basement, a spacious white room filled with traditional potions and modern ones. Electric apparatus were lined up on one side and make shift beds on the other. They placed Eunkwang in the middle operating table as Minhyuk rolled supplies beside them.

“Minhyuk.” Hyunsik said, “Eunkwang here is barely breathing.” He said, trying to shush down the last words from Ilhoon who sat on one of the beds, crouched on his knees.

Minhyuk nodded and immediately worked on Eunkwang. Hyunsik helped spread Eunkwang’s wings, the damage too obvious.

“His heartbeat’s too slow.” Minhyuk checked his pulse while checking on the other parts of his body. “Broken bones, wings, a lash on his side.  It’s been a long time since I saw this kind of wounds…” Minhyuk looked at Hyunsik straight in the eyes and shifted to look at Ilhoon. The healer’s eyes got bigger, staring at the purple wings hugging his owner. Hyunsik only pleaded with his eyes to not say anything.

Minhyuk breathed and took a couple of potions from his stack and dabbed some liquid on Eunkwang’s wounds. “This will close the wounds,” He explained, “I need your help with this drink though. As soon as I started healing his internal wounds he will gain conscious and feel extreme pain, make him drink this to help ease it. Hold him down as I straighten his wings, got it?”

Hyunsik nodded and made his wings disappear, asking Ilhoon to do the same and help them. Ilhoon had kept his wings as well and they gave him the task of making Eunkwang drink the potion.

Minhyuk then closed his eyes and his hands glowed. He placed it over Eunkwang’s head first then down to his body. The cuts and bruises were already gone from the medicine. They heard bones cracking, Eunkwang’s body regaining its shape. They felt him stir and Hyunsik quickly held him down while Ilhoon readied himself.

Minhyuk laced his hands on one of his wings first and that was the time Eunkwang opened his eyes and screamed in pain. Ilhoon was fast enough to make him drink the liquid and in a few seconds Eunkwang was only crying and trashing. Minhyuk took his time healing the wings, making sure he didn’t miss even a single broken feather. He scanned his patient’s body again and sighed when he was done. They made Eunkwang keep his wings first before moving him on a bed and letting him doze off. Minhyuk insisted on looking at them too, treating their wounds, and secretly gave Ilhoon sleeping potion as per Hyunsik’s request. They carried Ilhoon in one of the guest rooms, far from Eunkwang and went to Minhyuk’s office.

“I haven’t seen you for quite some time.” Minhyuk offered Hyunsik some wine and they settled on the sofas. “I was surprised with Ilhoon’s wings. Have you always known?”

“No.”  Hyunsik answered, shaking his head.

“Was he really the one that did it to Eunkwang? He could have killed him.” Minhyuk refilled their glasses, still in shock.

“Yes.” Hyunsik emptied his glass and poured more. “Eunkwang attacked him and he was forced to use his powers. I was just on the process of teaching him to fly properly but things had been really fast.”

“Things?” Minhyuk sat straight, concern and confusion on his face. “What’s wrong?”

“Changsub.” Hyunsik just said, as if it answers all questions.

“Changsub? Your bestfriend? The leader’s son? I mean with all due respect to your father.” Minhyuk probed more.

Hyunsik just nodded. “I’m happy to really confirm he’s alive but he’s on for revenge and something more and I have to do something about it.”

Minhyuk’s jaw dropped open. “I thought we no longer have them. Wow. The golden-winged Takers were extinct.”

“He’s got black wings.” Hyunsik simply said.

“B-black wings? Are you sure?” Minhyuk stood up and scanned his books on a wall.

“I saw him.” Hyunsik followed him, “He attacked Ilhoon and he showed me his wings. What are you doing?”

“Wait.” Minhyuk then pulled out an old-kind of notebook and started flipping on the pages. “This was my father’s journal. I read about black-winged Takers. They’re not born but made. Here.” He passed it to Hyunsik who sat back on the sofa and read it.

“I can’t believe this.” Hyunsik said, reading page after page. Only a Taker with strong sense of revenge and pain reverts into black wings. It eats up their soul and would not stop until they fulfill their task… These Takers learn the dark secret: to take the last seven souls of their own kind… “Is that what he was trying to do? Take our souls and be the most powerful and revenge?”

“Against the vampires?” Minhyuk said, “But we have been cool with those creatures for centuries now.”

“I don’t know. I…” Hyunsik was now exasperated, “I have to talk to him. Let him know what truly happened. I…” He was now pacing back and forth.

“Stop. Stop!” Minhyuk made him sit back, “Think things through. Do the seven Takers mean us? We’re the last of our lineage.”

“Maybe. I don’t know.” Hyunsik let out a breathe. “But if that’s the case, he already took one of us then. I felt it earlier, a lost energy.”

“So, that’s what had been bothering me.” Minhyuk said, “I knew something was wrong, like I lost something.”

“I’m going to read more about this.” Hyunsik then said, “I’m going to Ilhoon’s room and watch him. Can you take care of Eunkwang?”

Minhyuk nodded. “I’ll try to look more about that dark secret too.”

“Thanks Minhyuk.” Hyunsik said and went to his brother’s room, clutching the journal in his hands, fear and worry mixing in him.