CHAPTER 3

Changsub’s Kiss

 

Everything was too fast.

Hyunsik was trying his best to grasp the three-sixty turn of events and simply not panic. It won’t do him any good and his heart racing would be another way for them to be located. He knew Changsub would return one day but he didn’t expect it to be like this.

“Aish!” He grunted his frustration as he looked at Ilhoon lying still on the couch in his basement-house-office. The soundproofed wall would help to confuse any enemies’ power and they’d take Hyunsik or Ilhoon’s heartbeats as plain as a human. Hyunsik really thought he’d lose Ilhoon earlier but now just as scared on what’s to become of them.

He started spreading book after book on his office table and frantically looked for answers, or more rather: confirmations, to what he’s already got in mind. Flashes of his old bestfriend’s menacing eyes distracted him and he can’t help but feel pain. I didn’t turn my back, he can only say it in his mind to block off the scary thoughts.

He then felt exhaustion, repressing the pain as old memories played in his mind. A shy Changsub clinging to him, following him wherever he goes… his number one fan. His best friend. Or was. There was an urge to fly back out and look for Changsub, talk to him, maybe it would clear everything, but the image of a black-winged Changsub held him back. Changsub set out his wings free when they were escaping but didn’t bother following them, it was like a warning for him on what he had become.

Takers don’t protrude black wings, well if only… Hyunsik didn’t like the idea. And Changsub’s lineage actually has the nicest set of wings, blinding gold.

Ilhoon then screamed trashing on the couch and fell on the floor, curling, rolling, crying. Hyunsik kneeled beside him and held on to his hands that were trying to rip his hair off.

“I-it hurts Hyung.” He sobbed, “What’s wrong with me? It hurts everywhere!”

“Nothing’s wrong with you.” Hyunsik tried to calm him down. Ilhoon’s both hands were on Hyunsik’s left, while his free hand caressed the younger’s hair.

“Who is Ch-changsub?” Ilhoon asked between his sobs. He was still moving his body while his legs were doing kicking movements. “And…and was I hallucinating when I saw wings?”

“I’ll explain later.” Hyunsik answered sternly and looked at his brother’s eyes. “We’re going to go somewhere safe for the meantime but I badly need your help.”

“Safe? Meantime?” Even in pain, Ilhoon doesn’t initially listen.

“We need to get you out of that pain quickly, no?” Hyunsik simply said and Ilhoon nodded furiously. “Good. We’re going to fly- shut up first- to a nearby retreat house of our kind. We won’t be safe there for too long but it’s the perfect place to help you out that misery.  I would really need you to calm down and get that heart and mind clear.”

“What…I mean how?” Ilhoon was all confused but the pain was killing him to even argue and make his brother explain everything.

“I’ll get you high on tranquilizers but you need to control it.” Hyunsik stood up but was back quickly with syringes and gave Ilhoon a couple of shots, “Just focus. Try to remember when I thought you archery? You were good at it. Just imagine the dot and don’t lose it, got it?”

Ilhoon was still crying but closed his eyes imagining the dot but lose it when he felt Hyunsik’s movement.

“Just focus!” Hyunsik exclaimed. “If you want you can imagine one of your girlfriends as the dot but please don’t lose it or Changsub will easily track us.”

Ilhoon’s not sure how his brother can suggest such a thing but imagining a stripping girl would be a nice way for him to concentrate.

Hyunsik then pressed a number on his speed dial and placed it on loudspeaker as he gathered stuffs they would need. He threw in some books on the duffle bag, as well as quick change of clothes and extra money. The retreat house was complete with necessities but he just needed to be sure in case they make a detour.

“Something’s not right, Sik.” The voice on the other end said without a hello, “I can sense it and I’m really scared.”

“He’s back.” Hyunsik said as if it explains everything and he heard a fearful gasp, “We’re on our way there, Eunkwang. Ilhoon’s going to change soon and we might fly out soon as he has changed. Get ready.”

“I understand.” The line went dead.

Hyunsik got everything they need and looked at his brother. The tranquilizer was already taking an effect to ease his pain and lessen his heart beat. He seemed okay now, just with the extra drool running down his mouth. He grabbed his brother with ease on his one arm and the heavy bag on the other. He had already asked all their servants to take the indefinite leave but was still compensated, not wanting any innocent lives at stake. They were soon out his garden and let his wings tear off his shirt. The cold wind brushed into his top but it didn’t matter.

Hyunsik secured his grip on a happy Ilhoon and ascended to the dark clear sky.

*

“The kid’s about to change.” Changsub said out of nowhere. “Good. I heard newbies’ souls are more delicious.” He then laughed softly.

“Why did you let them go, master?” Jihoon asked curiously as he serves Changsub’s black coffee.

Changsub simply smiled. “They will lead me to the others. I know Hyunsik keeps a tag on them too. We’re the oldest of our kind, right?”

Jihoon nodded, “We have located two other Takers for you too, master.”

“Well done.” Changsub walked over to his servant. Jihoon, the loyal one, half fairy –his other side unknown. Changsub looked up to his eyes, luring him to come close as his droopy eyes flashed gold for a second. “You should be rewarded.”

Jihoon was then on a bliss when their mouths almost met and Changsub transfers a few of his powered soul.

*

“How long does he have?” Eunkwang met them half in the sky, taking the bag from Hyunsik and looking at Ilhoon who was whispering his erted thoughts. Both of them can’t help but smile despite the tensed situation.

“Not much.” Hyunsik answered and they descended fast on the open field amidst the wild forest. “I didn’t know Changsub can now force someone to be a Taker. I know Ilhoon would have wanted to be only human and he was being unconsciously good on making his Taker part leashed.”

“What should we do now?” Eunkwang asked.

Hyunsik had to wait for him to summon his wings back inside him before answering. “We wait.”

They’ve placed Ilhoon on the plated stone in the middle of the field. Slowly, the drug was drying out and Ilhoon started lashing again. Hyunsik took off his brother’s shirt, cursing out loud the choice of the younger’s clothing for how tight it was but it didn’t really matter because he can easily strip it. Hyunsik can see bulks forming on Ilhoon’s back.

Eunkwang covered himself with a blanket but he wasn’t sure if he was cold because of the night’s breeze or Ilhoon’s suffering. Eunkwang was fond of Ilhoon and had swear to take care of him just like Hyunsik had taken care of him when he had gone through the pace of changing to a Taker. He was thankful that Hyunsik had led him to understand his situation and not live on the mantra that he was a freak. It was a decade of lifetimes ago but he can still remember the feeling of being changed. He’s just not so sure if being forced to change hurts more.

“Can’t you help him take it out?” Eunkwang said with full concern. Ilhoon’s trashing his head and he’s scared he’d snapped himself to death. “I mean, just like how you made it easier for me.”

“I haven’t used my powers for a longtime.” Hyunsik pushed his brother down but his strength was no match to a changing Taker. Eunkwang helped him, trying to control Ilhoon’s legs. “And he was forced to change, so it’ll be better to let him do it himself. I’m a bit rusty now. I don’t want to take the risk.”

“Old poke.” Eunkwang can’t help but tease, just to relieve some tension.

“Yah! You’re older than me!” Hyunsik rode along.

“In what lifetime?!” Eunkwang laughed, “You’re like what a thousand years old?”

“Technically, but I’m forever 21.” Hyunsik knew he won the round.

“And I’m forever twenty----yeah, three.” Eunkwang drifted and they laughed.

“Hyung!” Ilhoon screamed again, eyes rolling back.

“Just let it go.” Hyunsik said, trying to soothe his brother’s mind. “It’ll be over soon. Just let it be free.” He then closed his eyes and clapped his hands which created a booming sound and the trees started to sway around them creating noise. It was a cover to confuse the rapid heartbeats of Ilhoon from anyone.

Ilhoon’s eyes were unfocused as his jerks slowed. They let go of him, knowing the time has finally come. Ilhoon’s body levitated and purple wings spread out from his back, flapping and supporting his unconscious body. He gently descended and Hyunsik caught him, hugging his brother tight.

“Why, purple, why…” Hyunsik cried.

***