CHAPTER 5

Changsub’s Kiss

 

If only he’s an ordinary human he’d be on his wits end but Hyunsik was steady. Though he’s on the brink of exhaustion, both mind and body, he can still grip on the situation. Mind over body. He has asked Ilhoon to take care of a still unconscious Eunkwang while he looked for a spot to regain his strength.

It’s been a really long while when he had used his powers fully. He didn’t completely keep it in a box, he needed to occasionally use it especially in controlling Ilhoon’s misbehaviors, he just needed to “polish” it up again. He’s no ninja but the waterfalls were a good place to call his inner strength. Their unusual loud heartbeats were ways to track them and he can honestly say he didn’t really master how to keep it low.

He got in the water and was almost in a trance, thinking of what had happened thousands of years ago. He was just ten and they were on their way to the Lee’s house for dinner and he was excited to see his best friend Changsub. They haven’t seen each other for over a week and he can’t wait to play with him again.

He met Changsub in one of the meetings their fathers had in the Lim’s house. Hyunsik always admired and respected Changsub’s father, the calm and humble leader and was interested in knowing his son. It was a surprise when he met Changsub, the shy boy hiding behind his father. Hyunsik was asked to take him out the meeting room and entertain him, he didn’t knew what to do so he brought him to their music room and played piano. Changsub’s sleepy eyes sparkled with interest and with Hyunsik’s eye smile telling him to join they became the best of friends. He taught Changsub to play some music instruments while the latter concocts different kinds of milkshakes.

Hyunsik was whining to his father that they should fly to get to the Lee’s house faster but he was simply told it would be dangerous. Hyunsik didn’t care at ten years old…what mattered was he gets to bond with his friend. They then felt a gush of wind, a warning. His parents and the other Takers with them then let out their wings, stopping and getting the feel around them. Hyunsik wasn’t afraid but after seeing his mother’s tears he knew something was wrong...really, really wrong. They were rooted in their tracks for minutes, Hyunsik not liking what’s happening. They’re almost at the Lee’s gates, they would just have to fly there and they would all be safe, from whatever, right?

Hyunsik smiled. He heard the tower bell from the Lee’s rang and it means they should all gather. The tower bell only rings when they have special gatherings. Just like today. His father then carried him in an arm, taking her mother’s hand on the other and they started to fly. The other Takers were also up in the sky and they were all looking at the direction of the Lee’s house. Hyunsik can see a shining gold around the place and a special bright light on what he believes was the tower bell’s location. He had never been there but Changsub promised he would take him up there one day. Unexpectedly, they all turned away from the Lee’s house and was gliding fast – going far away.

“Appa?!” Hyunsik was screaming, confusion scaring him.

“I’m sorry.” His father said and a tear from his eyes dropped to Hyunsik’s face. “It’s our signal to hide and be safe. We cannot disobey.”

“What? Huh?” Hyunsik tried his best to look back. He can still hear the bell ringing and the sky was as bright as a day when the other Takers all around them were also up the sky-flying far from their leader’s home. “Appa, what’s happening? Changsub?” He started to cry. There were no more lights from the Lee’s house.

“I’m sorry Hyunsik. I’m sorry.” Hyunsik’s mom was also crying. “The vampires were just there and it was a strict order from the Lee’s to hide when the tower bell rings tonight.”

“Vampires?” Hyunsik’s heart dropped, “No…we should go back. We should help them. Appa!”

His father hugged him tighter. “Hyunsik, stop. I need you now to be strong, please.”

Hyunsik sobbed. He shuts up when he hears his father’s commanding voice and just in time there were other Takers all around them, gloomy but stern.

“All Takers should hide to safety.” His father said to the others flying around them, “Keep the non-winged Takers to safety as well. Be safe.” Everyone nodded as acknowledgement and flew to different directions. His father’s aura already changed. He’s now the leader of the Takers.

“I’m sorry.” Hyunsik cried out loud, hoping the wind will take his words to Changsub’s heart. He held on his breathe and let himself sink under water to take control of his old powers back.

*

Ilhoon was watching Eunkwang carefully, wiping his body constantly with a wet cloth, waiting for him to regain consciousness. He promised his older brother he will take good care of Eunkwang while Hyunsik meditates. He can feel the stress from his brother and this was much help he can do for now to lighten things up.  He’s pretty useless at this state. Hyunsik helped him tuck his wings back to avoid causing more trouble and left after securing them inside a cave, placing humongous rocks by the entrance after they had got everything they need in.

Ilhoon would not deny that the situation was freaking him out. The fear from seeing that Changsub, the surprise from his older brother’s amazing strength, the wings, him having wings– all were too much to take. He couldn’t count the times he had cursed, only to get good hits from his brother…he gets it – Hyunsik’s hands were on automatic when he speaks profanity. He vaguely remembers the scene when Hyunsik saved him at the bar then bits of them travelling to Eunkwang and a blinding light before he completely passed out. He woke up feeling light and Hyunsik was all over him – calming him down. The spread of his wings and the flight which he didn’t command was the one that totally scared him. Thinking he could crash anytime- he trashed himself in the air but his wings were stronger and took him higher. Hyunsik was at his side then, demanding him to breathe and take control. It wasn’t easy but he succeeded after a million of tries.

He softly touches the bulk on his back and felt a soft throb, a respond from the stubborn wings which he needs to be in one fast. He didn’t like the pain he went through for he can’t remember when he was in one, maybe from the fist fights but never excruciating. The feeling of being ripped apart into thousands of pieces and burnt at the same time, it still gives him the chill. Ilhoon doesn’t want to experience that again but he finds it impossible, he knew there would be more. But Hyunsik was always there to save the day, he fixes everything for him. He would just have to trust his Hyung.

Ilhoon was trying hard to accept the reality laid out for him. He always denies the extraordinary things happening in his life but as he recalls them now – everything fits. He’s special…he always feel that way though. Hyunsik already explained what the Takers are, and thankfully he didn’t need to feed on souls, yet. He was told to concentrate only on how to fly and defend himself and everything will be explained when they reach their destination. Again, he’d just have to trust his Hyung.

Eunkwang then stirred and sat up quickly, his shiny dark green wings curling around him. It was like a protective shield, not letting even a tiny mosquito in.

Ilhoon smiled and got a bottle of water to hand to Eunkwang but the latter stared at him with the coldest eyes. Eunkwang was sending him a death glare and the feathers of his wings were like shining blades.

Ilhoon gulped but crawled closer, “H-Hyung? Are you thirtsy? Hyunsik-Hyung said to make you eat as soon as you woke up and then you guys will hunt later…” He reached for his friend, only to be brushed off by a wing.

“Go away.” Eunkwang said with too much hatred in his voice. Ilhoon was confuse but stepped back. “Go away…” Eunkwang kept repeating as he stood up, his wings still covering him.

Ilhoon stood up as well and screamed in pain when his wings stretched out of him. It didn’t flap wildly or smacked him this time, but it did the same as Eunkwang’s wings – protected him.

“Wha-What’s wrong Hyung?” Ilhoon managed to ask. His wings felt like sending him a message but he can’t understand it.  Eunkwang was advancing towards him, eyes still cold.

“Danger.” Was Eunkwang’s last words before attacking Ilhoon.

*

Hyunsik was instantly out of the water, gasping for air. He had regained his powers back and only needs to feed to be able to fully energize. His senses were ten times more sensitive now and he can clearly hear his surroundings. The sun had already set and the darkness made him shine more. He tested his strength and picked up a rock thrice his size and crushed it between his hands. Good. He closed his eyes and blocked his surroundings, getting the feel of the far city and tracking one of the Takers he knew would be very vulnerable from Changsub. Good he’s still alive. Hyunsik got his wings out and was surprised how white they were, pure. He smiled and flapped them a bit before shooting up in the air. He loves the old him as the new him…years and years of concealing his powers were somewhat frustrating. But he’d rather be frustrated than use it against his friend

Hyunsik’s more determined now, he will try his best to talk to Changsub first. He will protect the last of the Takers and no harm will be done to all of them.

He set out to the direction of the moon where the cave was located. He’d quickly check on the two before setting out for the other Takers. Eunkwang should be up by now and explain what he meant by danger. Hyusik knew Eunkwang was just a late bloomer and was glad that his powers were out when they need it the most, he’d be a big help to prevent Ilhoon from the being they don’t want him to be.

“Okay!” Hyunsik screamed in the air, gliding freely in the sky.