CHAPTER 4

Changsub’s Kiss

 

Changsub already had his fill. Takers don’t need to feed on souls every day, they just have to take enough that will keep their powers alive and they still have the human needs and deeds. They eat food, needs sleep, and breathe. They feel pain too and being an immortal was more of a disadvantage.

Changsub had swept a room of cancer patients, most are on the verge of death, waiting in agony. Changsub didn’t think twice on out their souls for it would make their death painless. He knew it was a careless move though, there were at least eight people he had taken. He initially needed at least two to ready his self on hunting the others but the pitiful pleading eyes and the faint beating of their hearts made him succumb to their request. It was a good thing Jihoon stopped him from going in to other rooms.

They had gone back to his mansion hours ago and he had been standing in front of his wall length mirror just staring at his reflection. Emotions washed his faced as he recalled the past few days happening. Meeting his old friend brought back happiness but was quickly clouded with mixed emotions remembering his family being killed.

Dinner was just served. Changsub was happily dancing around the table, sneaking bits of the roasted duck. They are having the Lim’s over and he’s really excited to see his bestfriend Hyunsik and show him the magic coin trick his father taught him.

Changsub was always the shy kid, an opposite of his father –the leader of the Takers. He was always being pampered and praised to gain confidence but he’d been always uncomfortable with that. And he knew it was because of the fear of the huge responsibility that would be passed to him. At ten years old he already felt the pressure from everyone around him except his parents, younger sister, and Hyunsik.

They heard the doorbell and Changsub run up to his room to get the special coin his father gave him. He was told to keep it safe for all times for it carries a special magic he can only discover. He had kept it under his bed and he was struggling to get it out, taking dusts and an icky spider out of his hair. He smiled sheepishly and pocketed the coin.

He then heard loud banging sounds downstairs and screaming. He quickly run on top of the stairs and saw his family surrounded with the most beautiful but scariest creatures he had ever laid eyes on. There were at least five of them circling his family while a few more of them feeding on their servants necks. Vampires.

Changsub felt cold.

“We told you…” The one in a red suite said, he seemed like the leader, observing the distance the others were giving him, “Just surrender to us and we don’t need this.” He then pulled one of their cooks and bit her neck, she quickly turned pale and into ashes.

“We all should just live equally.” His father said, his golden wings already out, protecting his mother and sister.

There was a chilling laugh from the vampires. “But that’s not how the world works…” He walked closer and stared at Changsub’s sister with his orb-like eyes. “You’ve been…selfish.”

“You’ve been greedy. Jaejoong.” His father’s voice boomed, silencing everyone in the room. “We shared a part of our souls but you wanted more. Tricking our kind to give you all of them. We had a deal that we will only share enough but you broke it by killing my kind.”

“They asked for it.” Jaejoong smirked. “I’m giving you one last chance, Lee. Surrender.”

His father’s eyes soften as his wings tightened around his wife and daughter. He quickly looked at Changsub and gave him a sad smile, flashing an image on his mind to ring the tower bell. Changsub shook his head, knowing what’s to happen. He wanted to go down, be with them but his father pleaded him in his mind. He breathed and nodded, taking a step back.

His father looked back to Jaejoong and held his head up, “Never.” He then emitted a blinding light from his wings, pure calmness on its aura. It was his queue to run up and get help. He’d just have to ring the bell and help would be on their way. It’s on his hands now.

He knows his father’s capabilities. He would hold on, he can protect his family. Just like he had protected the Takers for centuries. Now, on this lifetime he had chosen to think of himself by marrying and having children.

Changsub got on the tower and pulled on the strings. It made him deaf for a moment but he didn’t care. He pulled on it faster and faster until it rang all around, the nature responding to his cries. Help us.

Then he saw it, flashes of lights around the sky. He knew it came from all the other Takers around them. They heard the signal and they’re coming in for help. He stopped pulling on the strings, panting on his knees, and got up on a step box to get a better look outside.

The vampires and his family were now outside. The attackers clawing on the invisible shield his father made to protect his mother and sister who were already on a fighting stance. His sister was just changed last year and she was still learning to control her force field like their father. His mom was also in a lineage of Takers but didn’t change into one though she possesses the power of healing.

Where are they? Changsub rang the bell again and again. HELP. HELP. He cried until it drained all his energy. He let go of the strings and rested on the floor. A white smoke then covered him and he can feel a heated aura all around him.  No. No.  He quickly got up knowing his strength was already healed back by his mother and the weird aura was his father’s shield.

He stood up and saw the vampires stopped attacking his family but only to see his father’s protector already flickering. He wanted to jump down but two of his father’s advisers were able to find him and held him down.

Changsub’s father looked up and smiled before hugging his girls with his wings and the shield was completely off them. The vampires started attacking them, digging their fangs everywhere as Jaejoong tilted the Taker’s leader head and off his soul. With a quick movement he did the same with Changsub’s mother and sister – throwing them lifeless on top of his father.

Jaejoong looked up at him with cold eyes but he stopped the vampires wanting to get Changsub. He just signaled them to retreat and with a flash they were all gone.

Just the same time as the once colorful sky turned completely dark.

The mirror had a crack but didn’t break in to pieces. He had his wings opened and stared at it. He wanted the golden wings his father and sister had but all the hatred had consumed him and when he changed to a Taker it showed on his wings.

He ran away from the others, not trusting anyone of his own kind. Where were they when they needed help? Nobody came.

He was welcomed by the fairies, the loyal elementals to their family. With them he learned tricks on surviving and even learned a bit of their powers. But he didn’t stop concentrating on learning his father’s powers, force shield, mind reading and control. He had them all mastered a few more years after he had forced himself to change. He felt the need to change early, while his body was still young.

He researched on how to be stronger – there is always a way to end an enemy. They have their weaknesses.  And Changsub learned the secret…he knew it and was very much ready with the price he has to pay.

*

Hyunsik, Eunkwang, and Ilhoon had been on the move since the latter changed. They can’t keep still, assuming Changsub would always be on their tail. But the silence and lack of Changsub feels makes them giddy. Especially to Hyunsik who had just opened his old self and regained all his powers.

“Still no sign of him?” Eunkwang asked him as they grilled the fishes they’ve caught. They chose to stay near the rivers or caves to hide.

Hyunsik shook his head.

"How about Ilhoon?" Eunkwang looked up to the sky where Ilhoon glided ungracefully. They let him practice flying when they'd feel it would most be safe. "Is he..."

"He's alright." Hyunsik snapped. "He doesn't have a clue yet. We'll be safe with him."

Eunkwang nodded. “I’ve caught on news earlier, there was one room in the city hospital where all patients died in their sleep.” Eunkwang stretched on his sleeping bag, changing the topic. “But it seemed like their souls were taken.”

“Changsub.” Hyunsik only said with a small laugh, hope sparkling inside him. “He still follows his father –only taking souls from those who suffer.” He gently turned the almost cooked fish and stared on the crackling fire… only to be extinguished by the next second.

Ilhoon crashed on the lake again, creating a small wave- enough to wet Hyunsik, Eunkwang and their food. Ilhoon struggled to get out of the water because his wings weren’t cooperating much to his demands and Eunkwang had to drag him out before sinking.

“Control. Focus.” Hyunsik can only sigh and checked the damage on their food. Still edible. He doesn't really know if Ilhoon taking things lightly was a good thing since his excitement in flying always created problems within them. 

Ilhoon only looked at him as if he was saying something crazy. “Control? Focus? These wings have their own lives!” He shouted and one of his wings flapped to spank him. “SEE!?”

Hyunsik laughed hard, “Well, they’re trouble just like their owners.” He threw a towel to Ilhoon and checked on Eunkwang who was hanging the wet clothes and sleeping bags. “Eunkwang, catch!” He threw a towel to him as well.

“But seriously now, Hyung.” Ilhoon stood up, still trying to control his wings. “I should be really freaking out right now but I trust you. When will you explain everything?”

“When we get there.” Hyunsik simply answered and looked at his brother’s eyes. He gently placed a hand on Ilhoon’s shoulder and it calmed his wings.

“Where?” Ilhoon asked, closing his eyes and liking the feel of his brother’s hand calming his naughty wings.

“You will know soon.” Hyunsik lifted his hand and gave Ilhoon his share of their dinner. “Just promise me you will try your best on making your wings be one with you and we will see about your other power.”

“Other power?” Ilhoon’s eyes got bigger with excitement. “Just like your strength when you threw that motorcycle kind of power?”

“More or less, yeah.” He answered grinning with all his white teeth.

“I knew it. You’re hulk.” Ilhoon sat back on the ground again and took a bite of his fish, “How about you Eunkwang-hyung? What’s your specialty?”

Eunkwang didn’t answer them, standing still.

“Hyung?” The brothers called him. Hyunsik quickly walked closer to his friend but backed away when Eunkwang’s wings suddenly spread out.

He wasn’t the old powerless Eunkwang now. He lit up like a green lantern, his wings shining turning from a plain brown to green.

Hyunsik’s heart leaped with joy. They had waited decades for Eunkwang’s powers to show up and finally it’s here. But his happiness didn’t last long when Eunkwang finally spoke, lost in his own world.

“Danger.” Eunkwang said and dropped unconscious.