CHAPTER 6

Changsub’s Kiss

 

He was getting ready for his set, hands already itchy to play on those turn tables. His heart was already pumping from the excitement and too much energy drinks was making him giddy. He had already changed his snapbacks too many times but decided to just let his hair styled up and put on a colorful jacket just to jazz up his clothes.

“Peniel! You’re up!” A shout came from the side of the stage and Peniel grinned as he ran towards the platform and set up his gadgets. He had been working on the half-hour beats for his set for the past three-days and tonight was the night to show it off. Despite the heavy headaches he was still able to finish the mash-up on time. He learned that scouts would be partying in the bar tonight and it’s an opportunity he wouldn’t miss.

It was just the 1-2-4 beat and with his start up scratches, the mood was set and he was one with the crowd. Peniel’s a household name for incorporating west music and traditional sounds in his techno beats. And what’s more was when he gets lost in his music playing, he often glows. Well, literally. But that’s his secret and the crowd sees it just as his effects. Too much bliss makes him hot and it would just emit out of him. Good thing the laser lights confuse people on the light coming out from him.

Peniel’s headache came back and he missed a scratch but easily covered it with a press of his bass sound.   Not now, please. He prayed as he reached the of his 10 minute non-stop music. But his head throbbed more, causing dizziness. He managed to put on back-up music, he was ready for this kind of mishaps anyway. I can spare five minutes, he thought and just dance not taking away his hands on his deck.

“Damn.” He cursed out loud, the pain unbearable and it started to go down his back. Throbs and little pin-like pain all over him. “Damn. Damn. Damn.”

He didn’t like what’s happening to him, he knew it’s time to let out his wings and he wanted to know why it’s wanting out of him. His wings always been good. “Not now.” He shouted, pleaded. It’s been years since he had let it out, since that day when the only person he had loved saw him as a freak.

Peniel always loved what he is, a Taker. He loves his powers and flying~ he was glad when he turned in to one. He’s the last of the line but he always wanted to play. He loves being a 20 year old boy forever, or for a really, really long time. He knew he can be an immortal but for some reason their physical attributes changes when they find their partners, they grow old up until they have their own successors changed. But for some, their immortality ends when their children never change. Peniel’s father would be okay either way, but Peniel’s scared since he’s happy on being a Taker and forever young.

But it hit him. Love hit him. He was happy, he was ready to give up everything. But she didn’t want him because of his wings, his powers, him being a Taker. She was a normal human and Peniel had to ask for help to erase her memory about him. He started living as human as possible after, which was basically by hiding his wings.

Peniel knew the situation now was bad, he can feel his wings on its verge. He can’t let people know what he is and there are a thousand of people in front of him now. He breathed deeply and punched a few cues on his machines, he cannot finish his set but he will end it with a blast.

He gripped for the table, and quickly put on the last track. There was a quick transition from a danceable tune to now a more craze-up music. Peniel pushed on some buttons, sending basic count of beats on automatic, then he took off his jacket and shirt, closing his eyes and concentrated on his energy.

 Lights, lights, lights…He chanted in his mind, focusing on his energy. He needs to light up before his wings come out. And together with the last beat, he emitted a blinding light that hid his wings flapping wildly behind him.

*

"You're mine.” Changsub zoomed down, taking the only opportunity not to be seen and pulled a surprised and still weak Peniel up to the sky. Changsub was the one who commanded his wings to come out and was amused by the other Taker’s powers as well. He always loved the lights and the electricity from the yellow-winged Takers. And he was just glad he got him first. Peniel tried to fight him off but Changsub was merciless and snapped a wing to stop him. The pain was too much for Peniel that made him lose what’s left on his energy.

Changsub settled on an abandoned rooftop of a building where Jihoon had been waiting. Jihoon caught Peniel from his master’s arms and held him on the ground even though Peniel was having a hard time moving because of his broken wing. Changsub then kneeled down and caressed Peniel’s cheeks, smirking.

“W-who are you?” Peniel was crying, slapping Changsub’s hands away. “What do you want?”

“You.” Changsub simply answered before moving his lips over him and the bright soul out of Peniel.

**

Hyunsik lost his balance mid-air but was able to stable his flying again. He felt it, the loss of an energy and happiness. One Taker down.

“.” He cursed, knowing Changsub was the one who did it. There’s more to it than revenge, right? He would need to know why and he should start researching on why his bestfriend had black wings. Hyunsik knew that there is a secret on how to be powerful but he never really bothered learning, maybe Changsub’s on for it. If only his father was still alive.

Hyunsik lowered himself, flying near the top of the trees until he reached the turn where the cave was hidden. But much to his surprise the rocks he placed by the entrance were into pieces and Eunkwang was up on the air while Ilhoon was raising both his hands up. There was something wrong with the picture though.

Eunkwang’s wings didn’t seem to be the one controlling his flight, it was actually Ilhoon who was already looking scared.

“Ilhoon!” Hyunsik hurried and got down beside his brother. “What happened?!”

“Hyung! Help me!” Ilhoon started crying, “I-I can’t control myself! I don’t want to kill Eunkwang-hyung!” Ilhoon was trying his best not move his arms.

Hyunsik already saw the panic from his dongsaeng and Eunkwang’s state was getting worse. The latter was already turning red and his hands flailing around him.

“Listen to me.” Hyunsik tried for calm, “I’ll be standing right below Eunkwang. Just throw him down and I’ll catch to stop him then deviate your hands towards that big rock. We can’t stop you now.” He pointed on the rock far from them as he started running towards Eunkwang, keeping his wings inside him.

“But~” Ilhoon’s fear radiated.

“Just do it.” Hyunsik smiled for encouragement. “Trust me.” He knew better than to stop Ilhoon’s powers now. He’d rather take the blow for he didn’t want to risk Eunkwang or Ilhoon getting hurt when they try to calm Ilhoon.

Ilhoon nodded and dropped Eunkwang and there was a loud crash on the ground, the debris from the stone turning into white smoke that covered them. He immediately turned and he felt a strong force of air coming out from his body turning the target huge rocks into puffs of smoke as well.

He felt drained after but was still able to stand. Ilhoon managed to flap his wings to clear his sight and saw Hyunsik and Eunkwang down on the center of a small crater.

“Hyung!” Ilhoon called for them. Eunkwang was unconscious on top of Hyunsik, his wings bent weirdly. Hyunsik finally pushed up, unharmed, and carefully laid Eunkwang on the ground.

“Are you okay?” Hyunsik immediately asked Ilhoon who nodded vigorously before checking the still Eunkwang. He’s still breathing but the damages on his body were obviously seen. “What happened?”

Ilhoon told him, looking back and forth between his two Hyungs. “Then I don’t know what happened next, when Eunkwang Hyung was attacking me, my wings protected me then I felt cold and we were outside. The next thing I knew I was controlling Hyung up the air and it’s all windy and, and…”

“Okay. It’s okay…” Hyunsik touched his shoulder and smiled a little. “Sometimes that’s how it works for some Takers, you have the powers of the air and it seems like yours was pretty strong for the first time since it’s for defending yourself. But tell me why Eunkwang attacked you?”

Ilhoon shook his head. “He keeps on saying danger. Is he going to be alright?”

“I guess.” Hyunsik stood up. “We would need to make a detour and bring him to a healer. Minhyuk would be able to patch him up.”

“I’m sorry.” Ilhoon said resigned.

“Don’t worry. Eunkwang’s going to be okay. And at least we know what you’re capable of and we just need to control it.” Hyunsik run inside the cave and took what’s left of their things. He quickly ripped some shirts and made a rope out of it, binding Eunkwang’s wings around him. “Just stay close to me, whatever happens don’t get out of my sight and avoid using your powers for now.”

Ilhoon nodded and grabbed their stuffs. Hyunsik carried the out cold Eunkwang in his arms and gave Ilhoon a lip smile.

“We’ll be fine.” He told Ilhoon but not really believing himself.

**

“Something’s happening.” A cold, luring voice echoed in a dimly lit underground quarter. “Something, something…”

“To look forward to?” A chirpy one continued, playing a dagger between his hands.

“Yes.” The cold voice answered, “Seems like the Takers are on something to anticipate.” There was a great shuffling noise around the room. “I guess we’re to have fun again.”

“But don’t we have an agreement with the Takers, Jaejoong?” A man cladded with all sorts of jewelries asked with a monotone voice.

“I had a pact with a Jung. But he’s long dead now.” Jaejoong showed his fangs and stood up from his seat. “Ahhh…it’s been a while.” He hopped from a flight of stairs down from his own platform. Being the leader of a pack has its own privileges.

“Where you going?” One of his minions asked.

“Out for a stroll.” Jaejoong simply answered. “I wanna feel the tension between those Takers first hand.” And with that the other Vampires followed.