CHAPTER 8

Changsub’s Kiss

 

Sungjae’s the final act and was prepping up for his turn. He’s got a few more minutes before he struts in the cat walk. He asked to be left alone first, chalking for internalization, but the truth was he hadn’t been feeling well.

He feels agitated and he can’t figure out why. Its definitely not the stage lights, he was born for it. It’s, something more…

“Are you okay?” His manager asked, concern all over his face.

Sungjae nodded and tried his best to smile, “It’s my back. It hurts but I can tolerate it and I can control it.”

“Is it- I mean, that thing…” His manager stuttered and point at his own back. “It’s not spreading, right?”

Sungjae laughed at his manager. “No. It should not.” He knew his manager was still scared of the fact that he has wings. It was by accident when Sungjae’s manager saw his wings, he didn’t believed it, not till Sungjae lifted him to the sky. It was a lot of convincing that he wasn’t a monster and a few bribes in between.

Sungjae became a winged-Taker just a few years back. He knew their kind and always wanted to be one with the wings. And he loves his wings, cream, elegant and somewhat simple. And his power to calm people down, suits him too. Well, all he had to do was to look at them and touch them. And that’s what he’s doing right now, calming himself.

“You’re in five.” A floor director called for Sungjae and he nodded in response. He’s the finale for a jeans fashion show and he walked out confidently from his room to the busy backstage. His back was throbbing with pain but he tried to ignore it as much as possible.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Sungjae heard his manager again but this time it was blurry. There was a shot of pain and he pulled his manager to the side.

“Hyung.” Sungjae breathed, “I’m not sure what’s happening but it hurts. M-my back.”

“What?!” His manager supported him up, “But you’re to walk…oh shizz…Do you need to let out your wings? Do you…oh .”

Cream colored wings were then out of Sungjae, tearing his designer shirt, crowding them in the tiny corner. His manager’s already panicking but Sungjae touched his cheek to calm him down. Sungjae took the deepest breathe and the pain was eased for a little.

“I can do this Hyung.” He panted. “My wings could be a part of my costume.” Sungjae smiled again, and walked out the corner. He flashed his smile and tried to catch everyone’s eyes to calm them. Everyone was awed with his wings, that even the producers didn’t argue that he defies the theme of the show.

Sungjae was then out, the spotlights only on him, his wings glowing under the bright lights and cameras, people sighing loudly at his sight. He took his time, holding his wings, acting like he was controlling it while he turns to show off the clothing he’s supposed to show off. He lasted till the final run and quickly got out the venue, his manager covering for him.

Sungjae hid in his van and dialed a number. Minhyuk-hyung would know. It was a number of rings before Minhyuk answered and Sungjae quickly explained what had happened.

“Where are you?” Minhyuk asked on the other end, “This is bad. I knew you’re one of the seven.”

“W-what?” Sungjae breathed.

“Listen.” There was another voice in the line, “Get away from there. Now. Changsub’s after you, us, to take our souls. So better get out of there quickly.”

“Yes, now.” Mihyuk confirmed, sounding as urgent as the stranger’s voice. “Fly to my place. We’ll meet you halfway.” It didn’t take long for Sungjae to process it. He quickly got out of the car and made his way to the open park and flapped his wings. That was why I’ve been feeling weird. He didn’t care if somebody sees him, all he knows was to get away as quickly as possible.

He heard about Changsub before, the kid who disappeared after the attacks of the vampire. Everyone had hoped that he was still alive since there was no more golden-winged Takers left. There were only a few of them, elite, special. He never saw one and he prays he won’t be seeing one today.

But he wasn’t that far when he felt someone behind him, another sound of wings flapping, getting near him. He was afraid to look back so he glided to his right, lowering himself then shooting up to hide in the clouds. Sungjae breathed the moist air, calming his wild heart. Takers are easily tracked down because of the unusual beating of their hearts, louder than a human. He can see the sea now, almost there.

A strong wind then came out of nowhere, making his flight harder. He was being pushed downward towards the water. He fought it, struggling to lift himself up and move forward. He finally saw two figures ahead, Minhyuk with his light blue wings and another one with brilliant white wings. He smiled, a bit more and I’m safe.

But he felt a painful blow on his back and he was rocketing fast downward and before he hit the water somebody lifted him up, far up until he can only see clouds. He knew it’s not Minhyuk and he was scared to look who caught him but Sungjae saw black wings from his peripheral vision.

Although his back hurts, his wings still shaking from the blow, he closed his eyes and slowly tried to touch his captors hands, that much he can do with his powers. It’s a risk since he might be dropped and he can’t yet fly on his own.

“Hmmm…” Sungjae heard his captor’s sleepy voice, “I know what you’re doing. Calming me down. But that won’t work, Sungjae…”

Sungjae still tried, his grip getting strong. “You’re Changsub, right?”

He didn’t answer, instead he let go of Sungjae and caught him back in a flash now facing him. “Yes, I am.”

Sungjae was then looking at the menacing-droopy eyes. Changsub’s got a hold of his waist with one hand and the other was on his neck. Sungjae was either trying to hold on Changsub’s arms or trying to get away, he doesn’t know. Changsub’s making him panic and he’s not liking it a bit. It was that merciless smirk that he saw last before Changsub closed in his face and his soul out of him.

*

“Where are they?” Hyunsik shouted, looking everywhere. They saw Sungjae already, heading towards them but in a flash he was gone with a pair of black wings taking him.

“Damn.” Minhyuk cursed, worry all over him. Sungjae had always been his favorite dongsaeng friend. Since way back time, the healers and cream-winged Takers had been close and Minhyuk had always took care of Sungjae.

“There!” Hyunsik shouted and pointed at something falling from the sky. Minhyuk quickly went to the direction and saw an unconscious Sungjae falling. He was right on time and caught him. Hyunsik was at his side in a beat and they both carried the young boy. They felt a strong gush of wind again and saw a glimpse of Changsub before he disappeared.

Hyunsik carried Sungjae in his arms while Minhyuk checks up on him. They had already brought Peniel to Minhyuk’s house and much to their relief; Peniel’s still alive but barely. They just have to force feed him a part of their souls and keep his body hydrated.

Eunkwang was still unconscious and Ilhoon refuses to come out his room. They placed Sungjae’s in between Peniel and Eunkwang’s beds in the basement clinic, then treated him as they have treated the other two.

“This is really serious, isn’t it?” Minhyuk said, covering Sungjae’s body with a warm quilt. “We’re next?”

Hyunsik only answered with a deep breathe. “I should really talk to him soon.”

“Will he really listen?” Minhyuk’s voice was already shaking, “I bet he knows the consequences of what he’s doing.”

“There’s still the four of us, him being the fifth.” Hyunsik calmly answered, “It’s not too late.”

“Damn this. Damn. Damn.” Minhyuk pace around the room. Hyunsik can feel his friend panicking, he’s also afraid but he needed to brush it off or they’d all fall. “I’ll take care of this.”

“How?” Minhyuk snapped.

“By telling Ilhoon the truth.” Eunkwang then spoke. He was already sitting, looking at his surroundings. “Where are we?”

“In my clinic.” Minhyuk was at Eunkwang’s side, checking him up by instinct. Eunkwang was surprised and pulled his arms away from Minhyuk’s grip. “I’m a healer.” And he took his hand forcefully, checking his pulse.

“What do you mean tell Ilhoon the truth?” Hyunsik asked.

“That they were the reason why Changsub’s family was killed.” Eunkwang said straight, a hint of anger from his voice. “They were the betrayers of our kind and Changsub will only stop when he learns the truth. So, Ilhoon should know it and surrender himself.”

Hyunsik was stunned. One, he never heard Eunkwang angry-he was always the optimistic man. Two, no way is he gonna sell his brother.

“He’s not your real brother, obviously.” Eunkwang continued. “His father only wanted to save him from the wrath of the Takers but you can’t hide him forever. It’s in his blood, to betray. The color of his wings defines him.”

“STOP.” Hyunsik’s eyes were flaring. He knew Eunkwang speaks the truth but he raised Ilhoon and he’s the only one who knows the real Ilhoon. “I’m not selling my brother.”

“Changsub wants revenge.” Eunkwang stood up, “We don’t need to be in between them. It’s the vampires, purple-takers, and Changsub’s war only. We can stop this by telling Ilhoon and taking him to Changsub!”

“Do you hear yourself?” Hyunsik moved closer, took Eunkwang’s shoulders and wanted to throw him out. “What happened to you?”

Eunkwang blinked twice, shook his head, and stared at Hyunsik’s hands on his shoulders, “Where are we?”

“This happens to seers. They don’t get to be themselves sometimes.” Minhyuk broke them apart, placing the lost Eunkwang behind him. He was to say something more but he saw another figure by the room’s door.

“Hyunsik.” Minhyuk signaled him to look back. It was Ilhoon, disbelief in his face. His wings were out then and he was gone running up.

*

Changsub locked himself in his room. He’s got two of them now. Four more and he is done. He would just need to find the missing Taker, it can’t be Hyunsik though he’s the only one with white wings now…. He already saw the blue-winged Taker earlier and he knew Hyunsik’s got the Seer and that Ilhoon kid. He wonders why Ilhoon’s wings were different but it’s not impossible.

“Arrgh.” He screamed remembering how Sungjae touched him and calmed him down for a bit. He felt familiar warmth, his parent’s hugs and love. His sister’s affection, his bestfriend’s pats. But before he lost himself, he let go of Sungjae and took his soul at once.

He can’t afford to stop and be mushy, he’s already started.

*

“Jae, I can feel something powerful.” N, one of Jaejoong’s minion said. “It’s not good for us.”

“Really?” Jaejoong smirked. “Should we get them first, then?”

“I think that’s the best.” N answered, eyes glowing red.

“Okay.” Jaejoong simply said but everyone in the coven heard and they’re all ready to get out and once again taste the Taker’s souls and blood.