CHAPTER 20

Changsub’s Kiss

If he was a second more late, Ilhoon could have already died and all the chaos he created as a black Taker will be nothing but put in vain.

Changsub had to carefully get out of their grave in order to lessen Jihoon’s burden on the force field and to make a surprise attack. He can sense there were just a few more vampires left and Hyunsik was indeed getting more and more restless. All of the souls within him really.

“Can’t you guys calm down?!” Changsub said out loud to the souls within him. He doesn’t know how he was able to understand all of them answering back at once but he just wanted them to shut up.

Ilhoon’s in danger. Hurry! Hyunsik said.

The party’s starting, Peniel’s giddy personality was trying to dominate, are we gonna kill vampires?

Calm down, guys. Sungjae said and Changsub let out a sigh as per Sungjae’s movements.

Changsub didn’t hear anything from Minhyuk but a blue light flashed on his hands while Eunkwang was showing bits of visions from above them.

Changsub cannot blame Hyunsik worrying over Ilhoon since they saw how he single-handedly killed most of the vampires which in return angered Jaejoong more.

And seeing Jaejoong in the process of taking the younger Taker’s soul, Hyunsik lost it and initiated the attack. Changsub’s being honest he cannot fully control the souls if too much emotion was involved, so he let them move.

Hyunsik strength was mainly showing as he grab a vampire, pulled him away from Ilhoon and threw him far. Peniel’s electricity had immobilized the ones that were trying to attack him while Changsub used his own to push Jaejoong away.

An incomplete taking of the soul is useless and Changsub was able to breathe when he saw Ilhoon’s color back. He quickly grabbed for the latter and flew up, instinctively Minhyuk doing his best to mend Ilhoon’s wings.

Changsub quickly looked back and breathed as he saw that he was only able to create a small hole and that would still buy time for the vampires to figure out that Jihoon and the rest were still trapped below. He flew Ilhoon towards the island where he asked him to hide Minhyuk and Eunkwang’s bodies. Ilhoon was able to hide the bodies well but Changsub easily found them.

Changsub secured them in a small cave he found before getting to work over Ilhoon’s body. He needed Ilhoon’s body strong when he takes his soul, and Minhyuk was able to help him mend the broken wings and revive a bit of the younger’s energy.

Ilhoon woke up with a jerk, catching his breath as if he was in a nightmare. He looked at his surrounding first and saw Changsub and breathed with relief.

“Hyung? Where’s Hyunsik hyung?!” Ilhoon panicked and sat down but was shushed by Changsub, or Sungjae’s calming effect really.

“They’re safe. Jihoon’s protecting them.” Changsub said, “And that was brave-and reckless- shut up Hyunsik, of you to face those vampires alone. Jaejoong’s the merciless kind.”

Ilhoon laughed a little, “I know. I’m sorry. I was waiting for you to get out of the ruined house but it took you quite some time.”

“I needed to make sure they are all safe.” Changsub said and Ilhoon nodded.

“And I guess you know what we desperately need to do now?” Changsub asked and Ilhoon nodded again, determination in his eyes. “Your brother wants you to join him inside me now, always the worry-head.”

“Will you be able to handle all of us?” Ilhoon asked, stretching his body carefully and flapping his wings slowly. He grinned as he no longer felt any pain.

“We can only hope for the best.” Changsub answered, “It was said that once we are all one, we act as one, only the host body and mind controlling the Takers within.”

“So, you’re the boss?” Ilhoon smirked.

“I am.” Changsub smirked back, “I promise you, I will finish Jaejoong and his minions off. I know revenge does not make things right but I will try my best to take back the peace in our kind.”

“Me too hyung,” Ilhoon smiled, “Once we’re all back to normal, I will do my best to make things right for all the Takers and pay for my ancestors mistakes.”

“It’s not your fault kid.”

“I’m a Purple Taker.”

“You’re still a Taker. Our kind. No more arguments.” It was Hyunsik’s eyes then, and that shut Ilhoon off. “I’ll keep you three safe here before I leave and I will go back immediately to where Jihoon and the rest are or kill the vampires first, whichever.”

Ilhoon nodded, “Just be safe hyung.”

Changsub stood up and pulled Ilhoon within him. Ilhoon closed his eyes as he felt the familiar tingling in his body when Jaejoong tried to get his soul. This time he felt lighter, maybe the effect of willingly giving up my soul. Ilhoon then felt sleepy and he didn’t fight it, he knew its going to be a nice, long, sleep.

*

Jaejoong was furious, being played like that. He had his grasped on the kid but was again taken from him by Changsub. “I hate those golden winged Takers!” He was screaming curses and only with his rage can they feel the earth shake a little. Jaejoong’s overwhelming emotions can create unseen force and that scares the other vampires around him.

“We’re gonna be doomed Jaejoong.”

Jaejoong faced the golden haired vampire and choked him on the neck. “I know that Hyeunsung. But if only you’ve been précised and quick with those bombs you could have killed those Takers already.”

“Oh, c’mon Jae.” Another vampire spoke up, trying to save Hyeunsung from their leader’s wrath, “It was a surprise attack. Look, we’re still digging the other Takers, every second counts. We can still make it and kill them.”

Jaejoong glared at the vampire in his hand and threw him on the ground. He looked up at the sky that was starting to get darker again, the wind howling viciously.

“Get on it quickly.” Jaejoong growled, “He has already started to change.”

*

Changsub was in an oblivion state. He was only surrounded with white clouds –heaven? Nah, they don’t have such place. Then there were blot of colors that strained the perfect whiteness, like a painter swishing his brush on a new canvass.

Changsub looked closely and saw images forming on the once was just a mass of color. Memories…these are memories. Changsub saw a younger version of him again, playing with his parents and sister, then another vision with Hyunsik and him running around the dining area where their families were enjoying dinner. There were memories of his father leading the other Takers while he was shyly hiding behind his mother’s legs…then came Jaejoong and the vampires attacking them.

It was just a fast paced memory and was immediately replaced by happy memories when he was under the Fairies hospitality. He remembered how the Fairies keep on telling him that they owe his father regarding their safety and that they will be forever in his debt. Jihoon had treated him as a master, a friend, and a brother.

And to Changsub’s surprise, there were also bits of the other Takers’ memories, the moments when they turned into a winged-one.

The saddest and hurtful moments flashed as well. Peniel proposing to a girl and showing his wings but she freaked out and they had to erase his memory. Sungjae who cannot control showing his wings when he’s being teased and his parents hiding him from the world until he was able to control his powers. Minhyuk who had to secretly run from their house just to get a taste of the human’s life, for he had been pampered inside the walls of Takers only. Eunkwang being alone as he was in the process of changing. Ilhoon, when he was changing into a Taker, a 360 –turn from his spoiled life.

And…Hyunsik, a very young Hyunsik crying to look for his missing friend Changsub.

Changsub’s heart clenched and then his memory of his family being killed was replayed. It was as if he was there again, at the exact moment, but he cannot do anything.

Changusb fed on the pain from the Takers within him. It didn’t need to be related to the Great Chaos but the hurting was enough to make him hate the vampires. Reliving what had happened with his family was actually enough.

Revenge. It was all he has in his mind. I should finish this now. I will end Jaejoong’s life, put everything into order and live a normal life.

Changsub can no longer hear nor feel the other Takers within him. He was more than just calm, he felt powerful and light at the same time. His black wings majestically spread wide in his back, his senses stronger and sensitive. He can feel a surge of power around his hands and he can feel the control in it. They are one.

He’s now complete. He’s ready to face the vampires.

And this time he’s not alone.