CHAPTER 9

Changsub’s Kiss

 

Hyunsik felt the pressure. He wanted to bring Ilhoon first in their land, across the rivers and mountains, the sacred place where all Takers used to dwell peacefully. Their home before the great chaos.

He wanted to tell everything Ilhoon when they reach the place so he could fully make him understand. And he thinks Changsub would not even try to look for them there, they can be safe for some time.

But the now was more important, he owes Ilhoon the truth. And Hyunsik would make his brother know how special he is to him although he’s a purple winged Taker, the betrayers of their kind.

Hyunsik was thankful to see Ilhoon still on Minhyuk’s ground. He had his wings spread and was only looking up the sky. Hyunsik can’t help but be amazed on how wonderful the purple wings gracefully flap behind his brother.

“I see you have the full control of those stubborn wings, eh?” Hyunsik stood beside him, secretly smiling when Ilhoon’s wings wrapped around him, protecting him. It only confirms that Ilhoon can already fully control them. Maybe the situation had helped him big time.

Ilhoon didn’t even look at him but let out a sigh. “Who am I, hyung?” Ilhoon asked, confusion and hurt can be heard from his voice.

“Ilhoonie, my brother.” Hyunsik answered lightly. “And will always be.”

Ilhoon smiled and finally looked down but still didn’t make any eye contact. “I heard everything Eunkwang-Hyung said. But I want it all coming from you. I trust you.”

Hyunsik felt like crying. If only he could keep the truth and bring back the old days of a stubborn Ilhoon. Hyunsik’s scared, he does not want to lose Ilhoon.

“Promise me one thing first.” Hyunsik finally said, waited for Ilhoon to meet his eyes. “Always remember that I love you and you’re my brother. No matter what the past is, it doesn’t make you one. You are my brother. My family.”

Ilhoon just stared at him, eyes trying to focus, taking in what Hyunsik just said. Hyunsik waited and didn’t continue to speak until Ilhoon gave him a sign that he understood it.

“Good.” Hyunsik smiled before he started. He led them both to sit on the ground and breathed deeply, it’s time to say it all.

“You were given to me when you were barely one year old. I was to settle back here from traveling the Amazons when an old adviser of my father came to me for help. I didn’t know what to do but they said you were one of our kind and I couldn’t resist, especially when you reached for me with your cute, stubby hands and puppy eyes. Takers have long been scattered in this world and seeing and being close with one makes me feel alive again.

I didn’t know what wings you have, I actually didn’t care. All I knew is that you are my brother who I have to protect however hard headed you become, and you did become a spoiled kid. You seemed to enjoy being a human and you showed no signs of turning into a Taker, so I let it be. Maybe, I too was scared to know what you’ll be…” Hyunsik paused, gathering his thoughts. Ilhoon was still, listening intently, eyebrows slightly meeting in the middle.

“There are seven kinds of Takers.” Hyunsik continued, facing him completely. “Seven sets of colored wings, defining the powers and characteristics of each. I’m from the ones with the white-wings, one of the oldest and physically the strongest. Second in line for being the most powerful amongst our kind. We are the closest to the golden-wings, our leaders, and that’s where Changsub belongs. They have the most amazing set of grand wings. They were the most logical but empathetic ones of our kind, that’s why they have always been the leaders. They have the power of the force field and mind reading, no one can lie to them.

Eunkwang, the green-wings, are seers. They can see both past and future, they can read and somewhat control the nature but had always been isolated since some of them cannot control too much energy coming from their surroundings and it’s dangerous. But they’ve always been the nicest amongst us.

The yellow-wings, they can control electricity. They’re the bunch of happiness, the life of every gathering. They’re like happy pills out the box and always the catalyst when there are misunderstandings amongst the Takers.

Cream-wings, the calm ones. They can control anyone’s emotions just by looking at them or touching them. Having them near you can even make you feel extra calm. They’ve always been close with the blue-winged takers, Minhyuk’s line, the healers and basically the historians. They can move fast like a flash.”

Ilhoon then looked at him, anticipating Hyunsik’s next lines.

Hyunsik’s voice became more serious then. “And you, you belong to the purple-wings. The aggressive ones that controls the air. Your kind has always been vocal about having the power and being the leader of the Takers. But you’ve always been cooperating protecting our kind…”

“Was that why we were betrayers?” Ilhoon croaked. “For power?”

Hyunsik shook his head. “You are not one of the betrayers. Remember that.” Ilhoon wanted to protest, remembering every word from Eunkwang.

But Hyunsik didn’t let him speak. “It was a thousand years ago when it happened. We call it ‘The Great Chaos’, a time in our own history where betrayal was the biggest issue. No one can trust anyone.” He stopped, took a breath and continued, “The head families were on their way to the Lee’s Mansion, our leader. It was the night to decide what to do with the threats against the vampires. The vampires had been killing our kind discreetly and what’s worse was most of the Takers were killed by losing their souls first before being bitten. We had a survivor and that was when Changsub’s father learned about it.

Changsub and I were oblivious to what has been happening. I was just excited to see my bestfriend again that night and it was a shock to me when we heard the tower bell from the Lee’s rang and we had to turn around. It was a actually a signal to all other Takers to stay away and hide. That night, my father became the leader of the Takers.”

Hyunsik closed his eyes, remembering how worried he was that night, desperately wanting to know how Changsub and his family were.

“Changsub’s family and servants were all killed by the vampires, while Changsub was nowhere to be found. The advisers said he was alive but had run away. We searched for him, I insisted coming with the parties looking for him but those times were dangerous and my father had to keep us somewhere safe. More and more Takers had died; everyone tried to hide but was soon found. It seemed as if Jaejoong had this super power skill detecting where we were…” Hyunsik choked and Ilhoon gave him a worried look.

“We were able to take refuge in a forest. A few more golden-winged Takers creating protective barriers around us, the cream-wings calming our hearts, blue-wings as the messengers and of course healers, yellow-wings making distractions using lightning…it was an effort from everyone. But there were no green and purple winged Takers…that was when the confusion, fear, and trust issues kicked in.”

“My family and kind were the ones who hid first.” Eunkwang’s voice was then behind them, cold but composed. Hyunsik was automatically on a protective stance and so was Ilhoon but Eunkwang smiled, showing that he’s ‘sane’ for the meantime. He sat on the other side of Hyunsik and looked forward.  “It came flashing, those memories, my ancestors were scared. They were loyal to the Takers but the vampires searched for them first since we can warn everyone. They also knew that the doubts about us were starting to arise. They also knew that it was the right hand of the purple-winged Takers who actually made a pact with the vampires on taking over our whole race.”

It gave Ilhoon goosebumps, not missing the spite from Eunkwang.

“It seems like the past just came back to me. Every time I lose myself, it feels like somebody’s taking over me to harm you.” Eunkwang looked at Ilhoon, “The purple-wings were able to twist the stories and blame it to us. Too much fear made everyone believe, too much pain made everyone want somebody to blame.”

“The green-wings were outcasts.” Hyunsik continued, “It was too late when we learned the truth. The green-wings had fled far and it was your great grandfather, the head of the purple-wings, who actually explained everything.” He looked at Ilhoon, eyebrows still creased, a bit of a pout forming.

“The vampires learned the secret of taking souls, it was just out of curiosity at first but it became hunger the next. The right-hand saw it as an opportunity and made a promise to the vampires that he’d give the golden-winged Takers as a gift if they help him over throw them. He was also able to persuade almost all the purple-winged Takers to follow him.” Hyunsik puffed, “The vampires didn’t care, they just wanted the taste of souls. It actually gave them extra strength and temporarily use the Takers powers, it didn’t last long, so they wanted more.”

“Your great-grandfather then was able to talk with the vampires.” Hyunsik smiled towards Ilhoon, “His right-hand was actually killed by the vampires as well, greedy-betraying bastards.”

“Nobody knew what was the arrangement between the purple-wings and vampires.” Eunkwang picked up the story, “Everyone was safe after that. We lived in peace but not in harmony. We all live separately, my kind hiding in the mountains or out of this land, some dwelled with the humans, some tried to come back to our land but it was hard for them.”

Hyunsik reached for Ilhoon’s hand and tapped it, “And I lived alone when I finally got my wings. Then you were given to me, a favor, but was the greatest decision in my life.” Ilhoon had to blink his eyes too many times.

“I’m sorry kid.” Eunkwang smirked towards Ilhoon, “I can’t fully control my powers yet but Minhyuk already gave me some potions to help me calm down. If only we were able to save the cream-wing kid.”

“So, why is Changsub after us?” Ilhoon asked. He shivered from the wind and his wings covered him for warmth.

“He’s in for revenge.” Hyunsik sighed, “We were able to find out that he’s on the mission to take the souls of the last heirs.  He wants to gain power to kill the vampires and…”

“And?” Ilhoon asked impatiently.

“Take his wrath against us all too.” Hyunsik said sadly. “I’ll find a way to talk with him first, explain it to him.”

“I’ll come with you, Hyung.” Ilhoon pulled his hand from Hyunsik’s grip then stood up. “I’ll apologize for what my family had done.”

“I told you,” Hyunsik followed him up, “It was in the past and it doesn’t make you one of them.”

“Oh, I know.” Ilhoon smiled arrogantly but his eyes were gentle, “I just wanted to protect the family I have now. I owe you a lot, hyung.”

“Sap-sap. Sappy.” Eunkwang rolled his eyes, “Let’s go in. I was actually supposed to tell you that Minhyuk found out how we can save Peniel and Sungjae.”

Hyunsik flashed his toothy smile, grinning widely and hugged Ilhoon first before hitting Eunkwang’s arm hard. Eunkwang lost his balance completely for he was just standing up and Hyunsik wasn’t really able to control his strength.

“Sorry.” Hyunsik helped him up as they laughed, walking back towards the house. The sun already set and the night’s breeze kissing them.

Hyunsik felt relieved, Ilhoon knowing the truth and understanding the abrupt changes in their life. Ilhoon down, Changsub to go. He doesn’t know how to approach his used to be bestfriend, if Changsub would only open his heart and listen. We’d be friends again. Hyunsik like that thought, they can make for the years and lifetimes that were lost.

“Duck!”

Hyunsik was lost in his thoughts when he just felt being dragged down to the ground and a booming sound came from the gates. He can’t see anything but was able to make out Ilhoon and Eunkwang’s figures, attentive and determined to see who caused it.

Minhyuk was at their side in an instant, panic all over his face. He helped them up and they all stood back to back, waiting for what’s behind the dusts.

“Is it Changsub?” Ilhoon spoke first, his wings flapping softly but dangerously at his back. The other three decided to let out their own as well, getting ready for what’s to happen.

“He can’t attack all of us in one day.” Minhyuk answered, “He can only take one per day…”

“Then who?” Eunkwang closed his eyes, maybe, just maybe, trying to get his powers working.

They heard laughing voices then, mocking the one who blasted the gates.

“That wasn’t necessary Hyunseung.” An excited voice piped. “But that was the BOMB!” More laughter.

“I wonder where the sneaky Takers are.” Another said, “I haven’t been near one for a really, really long time.”

“They’re here.”

A strong wind blew and cleared the dusts in between the Takers and the strangers.

Hyunsik’s eyes widen when he saw the familiar faces in front of them. The beautiful creatures he prayed he would never see again.

“See…” The one in a velvet red cloak smiled. “They’re welcoming us.”

“Vampires.” Hyunsik said and immediately covered Ilhoon, he placed him on his back and Ilhoon just followed, making his wings cover his body.

“Four in all colors.”  One said lazily, “Aren’t we lucky.”

“What do you want?” Hyunsik asked determined, making Ilhoon hid more while Eunkwang and Minhyuk were looking around as the Vampires half-surrounded them. Hyunsik finally remembered the name of the velvet red cloak guy. “Jaejoong.”

Jaejoong gave a throaty laugh, “We’re just here to say hi…it seems like you guys on a reunion.”

“Just bringing back the old days.” Hyunsik answered coolly. If only he can pass messages in their mind.

“Interesting.” Jaejoong smiled, showing his fangs. “We want to bring the old days back too.” There was laughter all around them again.

“But you know we can’t do that.” Hyunsik continued to answer casually and looking around him for something to distract and get them away. He never trusted the vampires would not do anything bad. “We all had been living in peace separately, let’s stick to that.”

“But what if we don’t?” Jaejoong asked menacingly, stepping forward, eyes glowing red.

“Then we have a problem.” Hyunsik raised his voice and in one swift movement he punched the ground causing an earthquake. The Takers flew up but didn’t go far, Peniel and Sungjae are still alive.

“I will distract them.” Hyunsik was watching the vampires trying to get up, the trembles still not stopping. “Go get Peniel and Sungjae out and go to my house. I will meet you all there.”

“I’ll help you, hyung.” Ilhoon can feel the cold in his hands. Hyunsik wanted to protest but Ilhoon gave him his most stubborn-look.

“Fine.” Hyunsik said, “Just don’t get out of my sight or I’ll personally kill you.”

“Copy that.” Ilhoon answered seriously but his face was full of excitement.

“I have an underground tunnel to my basement, I’ll get them out one by one and Eunkwang will be the look out on the other end.” Minhyuk said, cringing as he sees parts of his hounds crumble a little. He can afford to have it all fixed but he just loves his ancestral house too much.

“Are you sure you can handle them?” Eunkwang was worried, “They can’t fly but they can definitely jump high. Those are tricky vampires, always have something on those sleeves.”

“Don’t worry.” Hyunsik assured him, “I’ll just distract them and not fight them off. Just meet me there, stay on my basement office.” They all nodded and separated.

Minhyuk and Eunkwang going south from the house and descending to the bushes. Hyunsik flew down, Ilhoon on his trail, and pulled a huge tree which he snapped in to two and threw on the vampires. Half of them were down again, but the fast ones were already looking up and finding ways to pull them down.

“Good. No one is going in the house.” Hyunsik was thinking out loud. “Do you think you can use your powers?” Hyunsik asked but before Ilhoon can even say ‘Yes’ his hands were already pointing under Hyunsik.

A vampire was able to jump and almost grabbed Hyunsik but Ilhoon had hit him with his tornado-like powers.

“Thanks.” Hyunsik breathed. Though Ilhoon could not control his power much, he was still able to create waves to push the vampires down. Hyunsik pulled a couple of more trees and threw it to vampires forming a group. Hyunsik was looking for Jaejoong and was surprised when half of the vampires were going in the house.

“No!” Hyunsik yelled and flew down fast, grabbing the trees he can and threw it towards the door. Jaejoong looked back, Hyunsik and Ilhoon already on the ground with them. Hyunsik can’t blame Ilhoon for following him, he was merely obeying instructions. They can’t even fly now, vampires are fast and can grabbed them easily.

“Well, well, well…I thought I was colorblind.” Jaejoong stepped closer. “Purple-wings...”

“Stay away from my brother.” Hyunsik pulled Ilhoon closer.

Jaejoong raised an eyebrow. “Cross-breed?” And he laughed, “I thought that old Jung was telling me crappy stories. He was right that he’ll still have a descendant.”

Hyunsik can’t understand what Jaejoong meant but it didn’t matter – they need to get away. “What do you really want Jaejoong?”

The vampire smirked, the house completely forgotten. Good.

“We were able to feel something stirring in the air. Something’s up with ya’ll Takers.” Jaejoong breathed. “But I don’t care about that now. What’s your name boy?” He directly looked at Ilhoon.

“Why? What does it matter to you?” Hyunsik’s grip on his brother became stronger.

“It matters to us all. He was the promised salvation of the death of many.” Jaejoong was only looking on Ilhoon. There was a pregnant silence as all the vampires closed in to them. “Get him.”

Hyunsik and Ilhoon released their powers at the same time but the vampires were too many, every vampire they take down, two more replaces.

Hyunsik was then tied with a rope and so was Ilhoon, they were pulled apart and Hyunsik struggled to get his rope undone. He was able to do so and grabbed for the vampires around him, throwing them everywhere.

But it was too late for him to save his brother, Jaejoong’s fangs were already on Ilhoon’s neck. Hyunsik can still hear Ilhoon’s heartbeat when Jaejoong was done. It was just made to immobilize the kid.

“I’ll spare you like I did to your friend.” Jaejoong said to Hyunsik, “I just need this kid.” And they were gone.

Leaving Hyunsik at lost and crying.

***