CHAPTER 14

Changsub’s Kiss

There was no sense of threat but Hyunsik moved towards his friends’ bodies, getting ready for an attack, just in case.

“Haven’t you taken enough?” Hyunsik looked at Changsub straight in the eyes as the two man walked towards him. “You’re only endangering yourself.”

Changsub stopped and looked at his victims. Was that regret in his eyes? Hyunsik thought and could only hope. And to his surprise Changsub kneeled and bowed low, his companion looking shocked as well but kept his composure.

“Mianhe.” Changsub said and repeated. He kneeled straight and looked at Hyunsik’s surprised face. “We need to talk.”

Hyunsik didn’t know how to respond but only nodded.

*

Hyunsik only concentrated on being alert to protect the defenseless Takers and stayed by Minhyuk’s bed which was closer to him. He let Changsub and Jihoon settle on the grand couches near the door, both calmed and alertness dropped, it has already been a long day for them too.

Faith. Trust. Understanding. Hyunsik opened himself for Changsub. He welcomed his best friend back.

And with these, they opened themselves to another chaos as an uninvited entity stayed at the other side of the door, like a statue pinned on the wall for years, ears alert and a manic smile spreading across his face.

*

Changsub felt like an eight-year old child again, confiding all his worries to the only person he trust out of his family. As soon as he took Eunkwang’s soul, visions of the pasts had bothered him – there was too much emotion included and it wasn’t even Changsub’s past.

It was every green-winged Takers memories, important points before, during, and after the Great Chaos. He was able to see things through their eyes.

Changsub was staring at his father’s face, listening to him – a green-winged taker- who survived a vampire’s attack. The weak green-winged Taker showed Changsub’s father by touching his temples how he was attacked –and how his soul was almost taken from him. It was only a rumor that the vampires were the ones doing such act but now they have the proof.

Jaejoong was talking to Changsub’s father, asking him to surrender and no one will get harmed. But the leader of the Takers would not bow to the vampires. And they knew it’s war after that.

Changsub saw a younger version of himself in the eyes of his father’s advisors when they were trying to pull him up and away the tower, his family was already dead and they were trying to save him. Changsub remembered it clearly, they hid him in a cave and never came back for him. He was hurt and scared and ran towards the forest where the Fairies helped and hid him. Now he knew why they never came back, they lured the vampires away and were killed while trying to search for the white-wings to help protect him.

There were visions of every green-winged Taker: young, old, families being killed by the vampires – some souls were taken before bitten and some were just drained out of their blood. The green-winged Takers knew how the vampires learned their secret on how to take souls and it was just all greed now, they were simply addicted to the effect of a Taker’s soul. The vampires who knew the secret wanted to have all green-winged Takers first since they can use their powers to locate the hiding Takers. And to save more lives they were forced to retreat, knowing that they were being blamed as the traitors of the Takers.

Changsub then saw a young Hyunsik crying, calling out Changsub’s name as he stayed on his father’s side. A green-winged Taker was talking with Hyunsik’s father, explaining what they know and that they need to hide – the Chaos would not stop until a purple-winged Taker step up and fix it. They would just be all in danger since they were already out numbered as more greedy vampires from all over the world joined the hunt for the Takers, out of curiosity and fun. The young Hyunsik pleaded his father to look for Changsub, not to stop until they find his bestfriend, worrying he might be hungry and scared alone. But as the new leader of the Takers, he had more lives in his hands and that he would need to look out first.

There was a faint vision, Jaejoong’s face so close to the eyes of it’s owner. It was the process of his soul being taken from him but there was an interruption when a very old, purple-winged taker flew down from the skies and stopped them. He was talking about a prophecy – a prophecy about a Taker who ought to take revenge and that only their kind can help them. The old Taker was selling their own to pay for what they have started. He asked the vampires to stop and in return will turn in the head of the green-winged Takers to confirm it all. Jaejoong always needed assurance and took the green-winged Taker and another purple-wing as his hostages: both the sons of the head Takers.

But it never happened and it bought time for all Takers to hide to safety. It frustrated the vampires, Jaejoong the most, and when they were able to locate the old, purple-winged Taker they killed him along with the last two Takers in their hands.

Changsub told everything he sees to Hyunsik as detailed as possible. Stopping in between to take a breather and calm his self when a rush of emotions caused too much pain. There was an instance that even Hyunsik stood up when Changsub clutched his chest but stepped back when Jihoon assisted him.

Those were legit memories. Hyunsik thought, especially the part about him wanting to not stop looking for him. It even brought a smile to Changsub’s face earlier. And as Changsub spoke, Hyunsik saw glimpses of the other souls within him through his eyes, mostly Eunkwang’s color were there when Changsub felt pain.

“I understand everything now.” Changsub sat back on his couch, “I was filled with too much anger towards the vampires and I felt abandoned by our kind. I had no one.”

Hyunsik felt pity for his friend but quickly erased it. Changsub was the main victim of everything that happened and he was still the one suffering till the end.

“I just have to finish what I started.” Changsub closed his eyes, “And I will start by saving your brother.”

*

The uninvited guest left after hearing Hyunsik’s side of the story. The vital information that would help save them and defeat Changsub. He didn’t hear anything more about the prophecy Jaejoong kept on telling them but it does not matter, they got the upper hand now.

I should have killed him. The vampire thought and it was still clear in his mind when Jaejoong stopped him from getting on that tower after they killed the kid’s family. They spared the life of the little golden-winged Taker and he’s now the threat towards them.

He picked up his phone and dialed a number when he was a good distance away.

“Leo. What do you have for me?” N asked from the other end.

“The Golden-winged Taker we spared back then is back to wipe us out.” Leo started as he jumps from one roof to another, “But I know how we can stop him...”

*

Hyunsik observed Changsub’s reactions as he revealed the contents of the journal. It was evident that Changsub didn’t know all about being a black-winged Taker, he admitted he was just consumed by anger and just dealt with the facts they were able to gather. The only thing Changsub did as Hyunsik speak was to nod and agree: Death was something he was ready for and he cannot turn back now.

Hyunsik knew his bestfriend was really back but before they can rejoice completely they needed to work together to save Ilhoon and stop the vampires. Changsub cleared to Hyunsik that Ilhoon is not a part of his wrath and it’s only all about the vampires now.

They decided to move the Takers to Changsub’s house first since it won’t be easy to find because it was sealed with fairies powers. It won’t be safe now to leave them since the vampires might know the ways to stop Changsub. They’re not sure if the prophecy was even real but they take it as a real one since they need to play on Jaejoong’s game for the meantime.

They secured all four Takers in the car, bringing most of Minhyuk’s medicines and journal with them. Jihoon drove off while the two flew their way towards Changsub’s place. They also sent fairies to check on Ilhoon’s status and would compose a plan on their way.

Hyunsik smiled, thinking how they imagined what flying would feel like when they were kids and what places they will go together. They just never imagined that it would be in this kind of situation.

It would have been nice to see Changsub with his grand-golden wings and Hyunsik swore they will find a cure to help him out this. Changsub didn’t deserve any of this.

“Wow.” Changsub said out of the blue as they make their way across the high buildings of the city, “This is the first time that these souls within me actually calmed down. I like it.” Changsub’s cold aura when they first met was replaced by a serene one. “But what does this line playing over and over my head meant: a brotherhood will be broken, something like that?”

A soul would be sacrificed, a brotherhood would be broken, lives taken will be given back to them again.” Hyunsik recited, “I don’t know but Eunkwang used to say that when he was not being himself.”

 

“Damn, green-winged Takers.” Changsub laughed, “They should really speak English.”

 

“What does it feel having Peniel, Sungjae, Minhyuk, and Eunkwang within you?” Hyunsik needed to ask, noticing streaks of yellow, cream, blue, and green on his black wings.

“They are all giddy but they sharpened my strength and skills.” Changsub answered and led him now across the waters, “I can’t use their powers though since I can only be one with them when I get my fifth Taker. I just can’t believe how strong Eunkwang’s will to save us all.”

“He was a late bloomer.” Hyunsik followed, “He had a hard time controlling his powers and Ilhoon almost killed him.”

“Really?”

“Eunkwang was not himself when he attacked Ilhoon and it was the ignition to Ilhoon’s powers.” Hyunsik explained briefly, “I’m confident that the vampires would not hurt him for the meantime but he might hurt himself if things get out of hand.”

“I see.” Changsub sighed, “We must hurry then.”

They flew in silence, speeding up towards their destination as the sun sets over the horizon.