Chapter 8

Too Close to Love You

 

I stared up at him, my mouth hanging open in disbelief.  With a quick motion I tried to snatch my clothes, but unfortunately, he was faster. 

“Nice try” he commented, chuckling in amusement. 

I glared at him, but didn’t dare to step out of the water.  Kyuhyun smirked, knowing full well that he had me trapped.  He easily strode over to a tree stump and sat down, his eyes never leaving mine.  As usual, he seemed unaffected by my hateful glare.

He settled himself, and rested his elbows on his knees, allowing his chin to rest on his hands.  After a brief moment of speculation, he mused,

“Well I suppose I should tell you what I already know”

I didn’t react and stubbornly worked to keep my face stoic.  I sure as hell wasn’t about to give him the satisfaction of knowing he had affected me.  I refused to show him any hints of emotion.

He smiled, obviously expecting my reaction. 

“I know you have been ” he paused, but continued when he saw that I wasn’t going to respond,

“Judging by the way you avoid soldiers, and judging by the way you looked at me and my father when we were dressed in our military uniforms, I can safely assume that the army was responsible for the loss of your innocence”

I flinched slightly, and mentally cursed, knowing that Kyuhyun did not miss my sign of discomfort.  If anything, he took my reaction as agreement and he seemed encouraged to continued sharing his conclusions.

He looked me dead in the eye, but this time that irritating smile was no longer painted on his face.  Instead, a rather strange look colored him features.  I wasn’t sure what his change of mood meant, but I had a sinking feeling that it wouldn’t be good.

“I also know that you are contemplating becoming your master’s ” he added, his voice hard.

My eyes widened, and my mouth fell open, but no words came out.   He watched me closely, obviously gauging my response.  He his chin thoughtfully and muttered aloud,

“Ah, so it’s true”

There was something in his tone that was so judgmental that I bristled and snarled defensively,

“Who the hell do you think you are!?  What gives you the right to come up to me and act like you know my life!?  And why the do you even care!? “

He looked at me, and simply shrugged, looking casual even in the face of my furious outburst.

“Firstly” he snorted, “I’m Cho Kyuhyun, future head general of this kingdom’s army” I blinked, not realizing he was so influential. 

The head general was usually second in command after the king and crown prince.  I suppose this did explain why the king was so lenient with him and his father. 

“Secondly, to be blunt, with regards to my rank you are nothing.  I can do whatever I want to you, be pleased I only wish to help you”

I glared at him, angry that his status was enough to subject me to his will.   He simply ignored me, knowing I could say little in protest.

“And thirdly, about caring, I don’t, not really anyway”

I shot him a wary look, and the question must have been obvious on my face.  He shrugged and elaborated,

“As you obviously know, I have no emotional connection with you, and I have no personal investment in your life.  However, you interest me.  I’m not sure why, but there’s something oddly appealing about you.  True, I don’t really know you, but I’ve been bored and maybe you’ll entertain me for the time being”

My eyes narrowed, and I wondered momentarily if he was for real.  Was it really possible to be this pompous?  Seeing as he didn’t look the slightest bit abashed, I concluded that he was truly this egocentric.

“Does it really matter, what I think?” I growled, acid flavoring my tone.

He grinned smugly,

“No, not really”

My eyes narrowed, but I was so eager to just get away that I conceded the fight.

“Whatever” I spat, “it wouldn’t be the first time someone like you used me for their own pleasure”

He winced, looking mock offended.

“Ouch.  Your assumptions wound me”

I glared and hissed,

“Yeah, well you’re one to preach.  Damn hypocrite!”

He grinned,

“True, you do have a point”

I rolled my eyes, and crossed my arms over my bare chest.  He stood leisurely, brushing imaginary dust off his pants.  He dumped my clothes on the rock and began to walk away, whistling as he went. 

My eyes automatically followed his movements, still trying to figure out the irritating personality of Cho Kyuhyun.  One last question, ate away at me, but I hesitated asking.  When he was farther away, I whispered,

“How did you know about me and my master?”

I honestly didn’t think he would hear, and in the back of my mind, I was hoping he didn’t.  I wasn’t sure if I wanted to know.

Unfortunately, his hearing must have been impeccable because he paused and glanced over his shoulder.

“Secrets don’t exist here.  News travels fast, and your precious master is the biggest news around” he smirked and added,

“The walls have ears around here, and there is no such thing privacy.  Remember that, and trust no one.  It’s the only way to survive with any semblance of self-respect”

He turned around, and disappeared beyond the mist of the spring.  I looked after him for a moment, still not sure what to make of him.  My eyes travelled to my master’s linens and I gasped.

I hopped out of the hot water, ignoring the icy air that pinched my skin.  I picked up the sheets and frowned when I found they had frozen through.  It would take forever to defrost these.

“!” I cursed, dressing hurriedly before sprinting towards the castle, the linens in my arms.

I glowered and muttered under my breath,

“Damn you Cho Kyuhyun!  This is all your ing fault!”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah Kyu, you're such a cold bastard...

*shakes head*

Anyway, thx for reading ^^

Music: "It's You" by Super Junior- M (mah feels!!!!)