Chapter 38

Too Close to Love You

 

“How are you feeling today?” I asked, sending his a sidelong glance as I went about cleaning the room.

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and snorted,

“The same as when you asked me five minutes ago”

I narrowed my eyes at him and he responded with a cheeky grin.

“Shut up” I defended, “I’m just nervous about today”

His teasing smile softened into something more affectionate as he nodded,

“I know, I’m nervous too”

Today the doctor would give Kyuhyun his final medical evaluation.  From what I could see, Kyuhyun was strong enough, and he seemed to be genuinely fine.  He still experienced moments of weakness, but I still felt like he was healthy enough to return as long as he didn’t actually fight.

We were both anxious about the doctor’s verdict because Kyuhyun’s recovery had taken longer than he had anticipated.  Kyuhyun had still healed much faster than the doctor had proposed, but Kyuhyun had expected to be discharged about two weeks ago.

“Stop fussing with the broom and sit down” Kyuhyun ordered, “You’re making me anxious”

I didn’t reply, but I listened to him, setting aside the broom and coming to sit in the chair beside his bed.  His lips pursed slightly, and I almost laughed when I realized he wanted me to sit next to him on the bed.  To placate him, I reached over and grabbed his hand.

Our interactions had fallen into a sort of a comfortable awkwardness.  Certain things like holding hands or simple contact didn’t bother me anymore and I no longer flinched or pulled away.  I was still a bit wary about kisses, but I was slowly starting to adjust to them.

I looked down and studied Kyuhyun’s hand, turning it so I could examine the lines on his palm.  I gently traced each crease with the tip of my finger, looking up only when I felt Kyuhyun shiver slightly at my ministrations.  I shot him a curious glance and he replied sheepishly,

“Sorry, it tickled”

I nodded and was about to pull my hands away when he stopped me.  He refused to look at me, but I could still see his embarrassment as he muttered,

“I didn’t say you had to stop”

I restrained a grin and nodded, once again brushing my fingertips against the calloused skin of his palms.  I began working my way up his wrist before tracing the muscles of his forearm.  I glanced up and saw Kyuhyun leaning against the pillows, his eyes closed with a look of contentment.

I noted his reaction and stored it away in my mind.  It seemed like this type of contact soothed him, and my thoughts were confirmed when his lips twitched up into a small smile.

I found his reactions endearing, and I couldn’t help but compare him to a dog like liked to be pet.  I stifled a giggle as I imagined the fierce Commander Cho with a set of fuzzy ears and a wagging tail. 

I continued to his arm absentmindedly as I pondered what breed he would be.  I was brought out of my thoughts by a knock on the door.  I felt Kyuhyun tense beside me and I squeezed his arm in reassurance before standing up to answer the door. 

To my surprise, the doctor was not alone.  Donghae and King Hangeng were also present.  My eyes widened and I immediately fell to my knees, bowing deeply in the king’s presence.  The king chuckled and gestured for me to stand and I obeyed, stepping to the side so they could enter the room.  As they filed past, Donghae sent me a warm smile and patted me on the shoulder.

I closed the door and stood off to the side, trying to be as unobtrusive as I could.  Kyuhyun had his mask back in place, but he managed a small smile when he saw the king.

As the doctor washed his hands and prepared the necessary equipment Kyuhyun bowed to the king and asked,

“To what do I owe the pleasure of your company?”

King Hangeng laughed and clapped Kyuhyun in his back,

“No need for such formalities Kyuhyun, we’re all friends here”

Kyuhyun nodded and the king continued,

“I was just checking up on you.  I’m sorry I couldn’t come sooner”

I could see the genuine remorse in his eyes, and for a moment I forgot that the king wasn’t Kyuhyun’s real father. 

“It’s fine” Kyuhyun replied with a smile, “I know you were busy”

The king looked like he was going to protest, but he didn’t get the chance because the doctor was ready to do Kyuhyun’s evaluation.  I held my breath as the doctor had Kyuhyun perform a range of tasks that tested the strength of his shoulder and his chest. 

The king and Donghae also watched closely, observing Kyuhyun’s face for any signs of discomfort.  From what I could see, Kyuhyun was completing the tasks relatively easily.  There were a few instances where I saw doubt or pain flash in his eyes, but it was nothing too alarming.

Finally, after about an hour, the doctor scribbled down some notes before smiling at Kyuhyun.

“Well Commander, it appears that you’re healthy enough to leave the hospital.  However, I must warn you not to engage in any serious physical exertion.  Your condition is much improved but you are not 100% recovered”

At this, Donghae stepped forward and announced,

“Don’t worry doctor, that’s why I’m here.  I’ll make it my personal responsibility to ensure that the Commander doesn’t over-do things”

The doctor nodded in approval and I smiled to myself, silently thanking Donghae for his help.  I knew that it would have been nearly impossible to control Kyuhyun by myself.  It was reassuring to know that I would have help enforcing the doctor’s orders.

The doctor bowed to the king, Kyuhyun, and Donghae before excusing himself.  I hurried to get the door for him, bowing to him in both respect in gratitude.  He bespectacled man smiled warmly and praised,

“Good work Ryeowook-sshi”

I was stunned when the doctor bowed to me.  It was almost absurd to think of someone in such a high position showing me respect.  I opened my mouth to protest, but the doctor wouldn’t allow me to, instead he simply smiled again before walking down the hall.

I gaped, watching his figure disappear into a sea of nurses and patients.  Finally, I allowed myself to smile, his praise warming my heart.

I closed the door quietly and made my way back to the corner.  I looked over at Kyuhyun and furrowed my brows when I saw him conversing with the king.  Kyuhyun still hade his stoic mask on, but a small frown made its way to his face.

I observed the two worriedly, as they seemed to be arguing about something.  I was so caught up in trying to decipher what was going on that I didn’t notice Donghae until he was standing right beside me.

I bowed politely and inquired,

“Hello Lieutenant, how are you?”

He shrugged and grinned,

“I’m fine I suppose, things could be better but I seem to be faring quite well despite the current war”

I nodded and found myself asking,

“Is it still calm on the war front?  Is Lord Siwon really not doing anything?”

Donghae shook his head and let out a tired sigh,

“It’s definitely still quiet, but I can assure you that Siwon has something up his sleeve”

I bit my lip and nodded, not liking how Siwon and his army had put the entire kingdom on edge.  We lapsed into silence and I found my eyes wandering back over to Kyuhyun and the king who were still locked in a fervent discussion.

“What are they arguing about?” I found myself asking.

I cringed almost immediately, knowing very well that as a mere servant it was not my position to ask such things.  However, it seemed like Donghae didn’t notice and he quickly answered,

“The king wants the Commander to return to the castle to discuss some strategies”

I nodded, understanding immediately.  I knew Kyuhyun was eager to return to basecamp and I knew he would protest against further delay.  Donghae shifted and sighed, causing me to send him a concerned look,

“Sorry” he said rather sheepishly, “but I personally think the Commander should return to the palace.  It would only be for a day and I think it would give him a better understanding about where we stand in this war”

I contemplated this and ultimately agreed.  It made more sense for Kyuhyun to be briefed on the status of the army before blindly throwing himself into the fray.  I knew he was anxious to return, but making a hasty move now could prove disastrous in the future.

I shot another look towards Kyuhyun and saw his jaw set in stubbornness.  I sighed,

“I’m pretty sure the king isn’t having too much luck”

Donghae nodded,

“I’m going to advise him to step away for a while.  The Commander might be more agreeable after he has time to think about it”

With that, Donghae approached the two, leaning over to whisper in King Hangeng’s ear.  The king seemed like he disagreed with Donghae at first, but after a while he finally nodded with his mouth set in a resigned line.  The king took a moment before collecting himself and marching towards the door, Donghae trailed after him, sending me an apologetic smile.

Once the door closed behind the two, I moved towards Kyuhyun who had his hands fisted in the sheets.  His eyebrow twitched in irritation, and it seemed like every muscle was tensed and ready to explode.

Wordlessly, I placed a hand on his shoulder, hoping to calm him.  When this had little effect I began to rub the back of his neck gently.  I felt him relax slightly under my touch and I deemed it safe enough to ask,

“What was that all about?”

He snorted bitterly,

“Don’t pretend like you don’t know, I know Donghae told you”

I didn’t flinch at his hostile tone, knowing he was mad at the situation not at me.  Instead, I began to his hair, much like I had his arm.

“True” I hummed calmly, trying not to aggravate him further, “But explain to me exactly why you think going to the meeting would be such a bad idea”

He huffed and glared down at his hands in frustration,

“You know all I want is to get back out there.  I can’t stand just sitting around uselessly, it’s ing driving me insane!”

I nodded, making sure to pick my next words carefully.  I had to make sure that I didn’t set him off into another bought of anger.

“I know you hate feeling useless, but what makes you think that attending the meeting would be a waste of time?  As of now, there isn’t an immediate threat from Siwon’s army, so there’s no need to act desperately.  Think about it Kyuhyun, strategizing would be so much easier if you were properly informed about everything you have missed.  It’s risky to start creating battle tactics without proper understanding, and I know you don’t want to risk the wellbeing of your kingdom”

Kyuhyun still had his jaw set in a show of stubbornness, but he was no longer clutching the sheets till his knuckles went white.  I continued my soothing actions, hoping he could look through the blaze of his anger and acknowledge the logical reasoning.

At this point, I knew it was best not to push my side of the argument.  If I kept forcing him to accept my thinking, he would disagree out of pure pride and bull headedness.  Despite his age and rank, Kyuhyun still tended to act childishly when he felt like people were challenging him.  It was a rather stupid and irrational trait, but it was not something that could be readily addressed and resolved.

I gave Kyuhyun time to digest my rationale, playing with the small hairs that tickled the nape of his neck.  After a while he released a haggard sigh and he began to rub his temples in irritation.

“I just really hate the idea of postponing things.  I have to physically see that my troops are okay, I don’t want to hear it from some old advisor who has never even held a sword in his life. 

I nodded, understanding his distrust.

“Well, let’s compromise.  You are allowed to leave right now and the meeting is scheduled for tomorrow.  We can head back to base camp and spend the night there before heading back to the castle.  That way you can get a firsthand look at the troops and verify that the meeting’s information is valid”

He bit his bottom lip as he contemplated my suggestion.  I stood and began moving around the room, packing up his belongings. 

I already knew what his answer would be.


Ah sorry for not updating, I would feel sorry but...

I WENT TO KCON AND I SAW HENRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You dont even know, he was so perfect!  We had to wait to like 4 hours, but it was so worth it!

We were in like a tent that seated 100 so it was pretty intimate and my baby Mochi was right there!  I was breathig the same air as him... #icant

AND I SAW EXO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So many tears, I sobbed so hard that I was like almost dehydrated at the end.  Chen was flawless and Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and just everyone was killing me with their perfect.

KCON is the man, so great!

*floats away on a cloud of happiness and joy*

 

Music: "Rocking"- TEEN TOP (which they performed at kcon *swoons some more*)