Chapter 22

Too Close to Love You

 

We burst into the castle panting and sweating.  We had to run back to the castle on foot, Kyuhyun’s horse had been taken by one of the guards.  I really hated riding that monster, but at this point, I would have given a lot of money to be perched on its back.

Fear and adrenaline were the only things that allowed me to keep up with Kyuhyun’s blistering pace.  It seemed like every tree held an enemy ready to shoot, and that threat was enough to keep me moving through the deep snow.

Kyuhyun rushed off down the hall and I contemplated following him, but brushed off that idea.  Kyuhyun had to take care of his business, and I had to take care of mine.

After today’s attack, everyone was on edge.  The story had circulated around the castle and now everyone from nobles to petty slaves were worried about their safety.  As I made my way down the crowded halls I picked up snippets of conversations that fed me more information.

I learned that both the king and the queen had made it back safely.  I didn’t hear anything about the general, but I assumed he was fine.  He seemed so strong and invincible that I couldn’t even entertain the idea that he might have been injured.

From what I could gather, the death toll was high and still rising.  So many had been injured or killed at the hands of the enemy snipers.  People speculated which kingdom had attacked and everyone agreed that this could only be the work of one person.

Only one person hated King Hangeng enough to spark such tragedy.  It had to be Lord Siwon.

The story behind their feud was known by everyone, and the hate between the two was no secret.  What made the animosity so strong was the fact that the two shared the same blood.  The blood of brothers.

Hangeng was always going to rule, he was the eldest son and the rightful heir to the throne.  However, his younger brother Siwon thirsted for power, he was the second son, the only way he would rule was if Hangeng didn’t produce a child to serve as his heir.

However, when Queen Heechul gave birth to a daughter, Siwon knew his chances at becoming the king were dead.  He attacked the king and his family with murderous intents.  Siwon wasn’t able to kill them, but he did manage to steal the baby princess and escape. 

Nothing was heard from him for many years, but suddenly he re-emerged as the lord of a powerful war nation.  It seemed now that he had the power to challenge his brother, he would stop at nothing until Hangeng and his kingdom fell.

This was the reason why my master came to negotiate with Hangeng.  They were forging an alliance that would allow both kingdoms to stand side by side if Siwon ever attacked.

It was a horrible story, and it was made even worse by the fact that everyone knew about it.  I didn’t envy the king or the queen in any way, and I honestly hoped they would defeat Siwon. 

After all that had happened in my life, I knew that justice was almost never forthcoming.  The guilty were rarely ever punished, and the victims were never compensated.  However, there was hope in this case.  If Hangeng could kill his brother, then it would be justice. 

Some claimed that Hangeng wanted revenge, but I disagreed.  After all that he had endured, it would only be fair that Siwon suffer.  Maybe I was biased, and I probably was, but I firmly believed that evil should be punished.

It was a desire I held in my heart.  I didn’t know if it was a wasted dream, but I couldn’t help but hope that all the people who had wronged me would pay.  Maybe I was petty and cold, but I honestly couldn’t help it.  It wasn’t like I wanted to be like this, I was made to be like this…

I breathed a sigh of relief as I finally reached my destination.  I stepped out of the rush of people and approached the door.  I knocked twice before pushing open the door and walking inside.

My master jumped up when he saw me, and I smiled woodenly and bowed politely.  I carefully looked him over, making sure he was uninjured. 

“Wookie” he said, sounding both relieved and surprised. 

I couldn’t really blame him, I hadn’t really seen him and we hadn’t talked since that awful night.  I stiffened when he hugged me tightly.  It took all my willpower not to push him away in disgust.  Finally, he seemed to realize my discomfort and he pulled away, looking apologetic.

“Sorry” he murmured, having the decency to look guilty, “I was just so worried, I didn’t know if you made it out okay”

I forced myself to smile, but I knew it couldn’t have looked too genuine. 

“I’m fine.  Are you okay?”

He nodded,

“As soon as the shooting started, one of the guards grabbed me and got me to safety” I nodded, my master was important.  It only made sense that he be taken away.

My master looked away, and the air between us grew awkward with unspoken words.  The tension rose as we both tried to ignore the glaring topic that most needed to be addressed.  I hoped he wouldn’t go there, it would be easier to forget if he didn't.

“Wookie… about that night…”

I cringed and quickly shook my head,

“With all due respect master, I would rather not talk about that”

He bit his lip, but nodded in agreement.  I could tell he wanted to talk about it, but I couldn’t stomach it, the memory was too fresh, the pain too raw.  The fact that I was even standing in the same room with him was terrifying to me.  I was fighting the urge to just run at this point.

Yesung cleared his throat, and he asked somewhat reluctantly,

“So, is Kyuhyun okay?”

I knew he didn’t really care and might have even hoped that Kyuhyun was hurt.  Knowing this, I took an almost sick joy in telling him that Kyuhyun was fine.  I even informed him how Kyuhyun had taken out all the snipers, it was just another way to get under his skin.

My master shifted uneasily and took the news in while trying to look indifferent.  There was another uncomfortable period of silence before I finally bowed and tried to excuse myself.  I turned away, but a question halted my departure,

“So, you’re staying with Kyuhyun right now?”

I nodded slightly,

“Yes, Kyuhyun-sshi has been kind enough to take me under his care.  He allows me to stay in his private quarters”

My master nodded and I could see the questions in his eyes.  I knew he was dying to know our relationship, but I couldn't bring myself to assuage his fears.  Part of me wanted him to worry, to think he had competition.  However, the bigger reason for not describing our relationship was that it was a mystery to me as well.

I honestly didn’t know what Kyuhyun was to me.  I wasn’t sure if we were friends, he knew more about me than anyone had ever known and surprisingly I did trust him.  I was comfortable around him and his presence didn’t make me feel caged.

However, at the same time, we were practically strangers.  We weren’t friends, but we did have some sort of relationship… I just didn’t know what that relationship was.

Thinking he was done with the questions, I bowed again, turning towards the door again.  My hand was on the knob when I heard him ask quietly,

“Have you forgotten about my proposition?”

I didn’t turn to face him as I answered,

“No, I’m still thinking about it”

I heard him make a small noise of approval and continued my way out the door, eager to leave his stifling presence.

“I love you” I heard him whisper.

I tensed slightly, but I still didn’t turn around, I didn’t have any way to respond.  I kept walking, pretending I hadn’t heard what he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for rushed, crappy update, but I'm leaving for Palm Springs in less than 20 minutes and I haven't packed yet!

*tears hair out*

Anyway, I know this may seem like a filler chapter and it kind of is, but I thought I needed to explain some things like the reason for the attack.

Don't bite me...

Music: "I'll be Back"- 2PM (never really been a big fan of them, but this song might be the exception...)