Chapter 10

Too Close to Love You

 

My body resisted as I tried to get up the next morning.  My head throbbed mercilessly, and my breathing was labored.  It felt like there was a weight on my chest, and every move made pain shoot through my body.

“” I cursed as the world spun around me.  This was not the time to be sick.  I did my best to ignore the pain, and attempted to steady my breathing.   I stood on jelly legs, the world swimming in a violent storm before my eyes.  I winced as my head pounded so hard that I was momentarily blinded.

Even in this pitiful state, I still managed to make my way to my master’s room.  I gripped the wall for support, trying to appear as normal as possible.  Luckily for me, Yesung seemed a bit preoccupied this morning. 

He smiled absentmindedly when I entered, but he didn’t really stop what he was doing.  I was surprised to see he was already dressed and his breakfast had already been served.  I wondered momentarily if I was late, but Yesung interrupted by worrying as he explained,

“The king called an early meeting today.  There will be a royal tournament in the next few weeks and he is hoping to finish as much as we can before the event”

I nodded slightly, not really processing what he was saying.  I was concentrating too hard on keeping my breath even.  Yesung was still talking, but honestly, the words were nothing more than noises to my aching brain.

I tried to focus and the only thing I was able to decipher was that he wanted me to bring his lunch at noon.  I nodded, and bowed as I waited for him to leave the chamber.  As soon as he was out of sight I released a pained groan, and held my head, praying that the world would stop spinning.

Unfortunately, my vertigo remained and it seemed like my condition would not be improving anytime soon.  I sighed at the conclusion, but there was nothing I could do.  I left the room and started walking down the hall on shaky legs.

My destination was the gardens.  I felt so unbearably hot that the snow seemed like the perfect remedy.  At this point, it was clear that I wasn’t thinking clearly, however all I could focus on was the cold air that would hopefully sooth my burning skin.

I never did make it to the gardens.  I barely made it ten feet before my legs buckled under me.  The world was spinning faster now, and breathing was a definite hardship.  I struggled to stand, but my whole body rebelled and all I could do was watch as the blurred colors became less and less distinguishable.

The last thing I remembered was a faraway voice yelling.  I wasn’t sure who the person was talking to, but it didn’t really matter anyway.  That loud voice was the last thing I remembered before the world went black.

**********

“I’m surprised he even made it out of bed.  His fever is dangerously high and he’s critically dehydrated.  Under such conditions, it’s not surprising that he collapsed.  He just needs to rest and he’ll be fine.  Just make sure that he has plenty of fluids and that he doesn’t over exert himself”

“I understand, thank you sir”

My eyes fluttered as the sound of conversation drifted to my ears.  I pushed against the oppressive force that seemed intent on pushing me back into unconsciousness.  I tried to sit up, but the throbbing of my head made such an endeavor impossible to accomplish.

I settled for turning my head and trying to figure out exactly where I was.  I winced as the pain intensified even at the smallest of movements, but I gritted my teeth and continued to take in my surroundings. 

I sighed when I discovered that my actions were in vain.  I didn’t recognize the room I was in, nor could I determine the course of events that brought me here.  I searched the room for any indication of its owner.  I couldn’t find anything definite, all I could gather was that the room belonged to someone of high stature.

The bed frame was made of dark mahogany and it was hand carved with ornate detailing.  The sheets were royal blue and made of the finest silk and the pillows were Egyptian cotton, filled with goose feathers.

The room was much too nice to belong to a servant or any of the lesser nobles.  I glanced towards the door and my stomach went cold when I saw the royal military insignia hanging on the wall.  I squeezed my eyes shut, hoping desperately that I wasn’t where I thought I was.

“Please no…” I whimpered, willing myself to wake up from this nightmare.  Unfortunately, instead of waking up and finding myself in my own bed, I opened my eyes to the sound of the opening door.

I silently cursed as the person I so dreaded to see walked into the room.  I did my best to sit up, but the pounding of my head made such a maneuver impossible.  Seeing as I was immobile, I settled for glaring at Kyuhyun defiantly.

The latter smirked, obviously amused at the fact that I could no longer avoid him.

“Rude, you should show some respect to your savior” he chided as he sat down on a heavy wooden chair near my bedside.

“I don’t recall asking you to help me!” I hissed, the words giving me a strange sense of deja-vu.  He maintained his arrogant smirk and nodded,

“No, but it would be hard for you to refuse or accept when you are splayed out in the hall, completely unconscious”

Despite my irritation, I couldn’t help but blush at the thought of passing out in the hall.  As someone who prided themselves with always being strong, it was humiliating to think of being seen in such a vulnerable state.

It seemed that Kyuhyun was following my train of thought because he chuckled lightly and noted,

“Be pleased that I was the only one who saw you… although there were many spectators who did see me carrying you to my room” he looked rather entertained by the thought,

 “I wonder what they’re thinking now…”

You carried me!?” I asked, horrified at the whole notion.  Kyuhyun simply rolled his eyes, looking unaffected,

“Don’t sound so shocked, it’s not like you were heavy.  Besides, I didn’t think you would have wanted me to call the prince to save you”  I paled at the very thought, and a light shiver ran down my spine. 

Kyuhyun noted my reaction casually and remarked,

“Thought so”

I glanced at him warily, trying to decipher exactly what it was that he wanted from me.  I no longer had the energy to fight with him, I didn’t even have the energy to glare.  I sighed and closed my eyes tiredly,

“What exactly do you want from me?”

“Why do you assume that I want something from you?  I have no plans to exploit you”

I snorted in disbelief and opened my eyes to look at him.  My eyes were cold and judging, but as usual he was undeterred and he met my gaze easily.

“Why the hell should I trust you?  Why do you of all people deserve my faith?”

He continued to look into my eyes, and for the first time, his emotionless stare shifted.  It changed into something I hadn’t seen before, something I couldn’t comprehend.

“Because I’m not like everyone else… I’m different” he answered simply.

And for that moment, for that split second of time, I believed him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yay, another chappie up!

Hope you guys enjoy! ^^

Music: "Goodbye My Love" by Super Junior- M (it's so good!!!!)