Chapter 23

Too Close to Love You

 

When I entered Kyuhyun’s chambers I released a breath that I didn’t even know I had been holding.  It seemed silly, but this seemed the only place I could relax.  The only place I could just be myself.

I looked up when I heard someone clear their throat.  I rolled my eyes when I saw Kyuhyun perched on an arm chair, watching me with amusement.

“What?” I asked tiredly.

“Making sure that your precious master is okay?” he asked, sarcastically emphasizing the word ‘precious’.

I simply nodded in response, too exhausted to argue.  It seemed the craziness of the day was finally catching up to me and all I wanted to do was relax.

I plopped down in the chair facing Kyuhyun and asked,

“So what’s going on?  Please enlighten me since you are the self-proclaimed military god”

My tone was obviously snarky, but Kyuhyun ignored that fact, smirking arrogantly.  I rolled my eyes again, wondering why I even bothered to try talking to him.  He was simply infuriating.  I was contemplating leaving him and going to bed, but he finally decided to answer my question.

“Well if you’ve heard the rumors, they’re true.  The attack was planned by that traitor Siwon”

I nodded, not really surprised by the news.  However, the sudden seriousness In Kyuhyun’s eyes was a something that sparked interest.  He rarely looked this grave, and I was rather shocked to see that he actually seemed to be taking his job seriously.

“Our troops have been gathered and training begins tomorrow.  We cannot be vulnerable, especially when Siwon has his eye on the kingdom”

He said this aloud, but it seemed more like he was talking to himself.  There was a faraway look in his eyes.  He seemed to get lost in his own thoughts, and I let the silence settle around us too tired to really care anymore.

“Ryeowook?…Hey!…, I’m talking to you here!”

I blinked, staring at Kyuhyun in surprise.  He glared at me, obviously annoyed at being ignored.

“What?” I asked him, slightly annoyed that he broke me from my daze.

He rolled his eyes and sighed like he was dealing with a child. 

“I said training begins in the South gardens at 6”

I arched a brow,

“And you’re telling me this why?”

“Because I expect you to be there bright and early” he answered back, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

I shot him a confused look, sleep impeding my ability to reason.

“I need someone to carry the water, since I so graciously let you stay with me it’s about time you earned your keep”

I scoffed, finally putting things together in my mind.

“My master is going to be there isn’t he?”

Kyuhyun didn’t even bother to hide the devilish smirk that colored his face.

“Duh!  I’m not quite done messing with him yet, I think tomorrow will be a very good day”

I stood up and started walking towards my bed room, yawning loudly,

“You’re coming tomorrow, right?” he asked, although it wasn’t much of a question.

I sent a long suffering look over my shoulder,

“I don’t really have much of a choice, do I?”

He shook his head, his smirk growing more devious.

“Have fun dreaming about your beloved master’s ” he called after me, never failing to taunt me.

I heard him chuckle amusedly when I mumbled,

“” under my breath.

**********

I glared at Kyuhyun with disdain, wondering why I agreed to this.  He shot me an indifferent look as he leaned back against the plush interior of the carriage.

“Oh stop ing” he snorted.

“I haven’t said a thing” I grumbled, still grumpy at being up at such an ungodly hour.

“You didn’t have to, I know you’re whining in your mind”

I rolled, my eyes but didn’t protest.  In all honesty I was cussing him out silently, annoyed that he had dragged me out of my bed just to piss Yesung off.

I stared at the ornately carved ceiling of the carriage.  At least he had the decency to order a carriage, there was a lot of equipment and I would not have been pleased to carry it all to the training center.

“What exactly do you have against my master anyway?” I asked, only slightly interested in the answer.

“He’s too entitled, he thinks everything he wants will just come to him”

I rolled my eyes and retorted,

“He’s the crown prince, he was raised on those principles.  Whatever he wants he takes, that’s the nature of power”

Kyuhyun was silent for a moment, and my eyes lazily settled on his face.  His jaw was set with something akin to anger and his eyes flashed dangerously.

“And in this ed up world, that's okay.  The strong take the weak and do whatever they please, it's unforgivable.  The strong get addicted to their authority and power becomes their drug.  There's is nothing stronger than power... nothing” he finally bit out, not really directing the comment at me.

I watched his reaction as I answered,

“My mother once told me that love was the strongest force known to man”

Our eyes met, both of us trying to decipher the meaning of that statement. 

“Love?” he pondered, sounding almost amused at the idea of such an obscure emotion.

“What is love anyway?” he asked, eyeing me cautiously.

I shrugged, simply shaking my head in response.  I honestly didn’t know.  Kyuhyun finally looked away, diverting his eyes to the window.  I didn’t bother to ask, it was obvious that he didn’t know either.

The fact that I’d forgotten such a primal thing as love should have bothered me, but it didn’t.  The fact that Kyuhyun seemed just as unaware as myself only strengthened my beliefs.  Love may have been a factor in other people’s lives, a potent force that propelled them through life.  But that would never be the truth for me. 

I studied Kyuhyun out of the corner of my eyes, and I knew.

Kyuhyun’s mind was occupied with thoughts identical to my own.  We were both stuck, unable to move on or make any progress.

But then again, what was the point of moving forward?  The only thing one could look forward to was the inevitable end.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry for the short update

*bows repeatedly*

I know... I ...

Mianhe...

Music: "Blue Tomorrow (Korean ver.)- Super Junior- M