Chapter 40

Too Close to Love You

 

As we got closer to the tent, my steps grew more reluctant.  I knew Kyuhyun wouldn’t listen to my explanation and even if he did, I doubted he would understand.  I knew it must have seemed crazy, staying loyal to my , but it was my duty.  The majority of my life had been dedicated to Yesung, and despite what he did to me, I simply couldn’t desert my master.

Kyuhyun’s hand was like a vice around my wrist.  His grip was tight and I knew that even if I struggled I would  be unable to free myself.  I saved myself the trouble and went along with it.  It hurt, but fighting Kyuhyun would only anger him, plus people would wonder what was going on if they saw.  I tried to appear normal, hoping that our contact didn’t draw any unwanted attention.

When we drew close to Kyuhyun’s quarters I frowned slightly when I saw Donghae waiting outside of the tent.  I watched as the Lieutenant’s eyes widened slightly when before darting to mine.  He quietly moved so he was blocking the door, ignoring Kyuhyun’s menacing glare.  He looked at me searchingly, silently asking if everything was okay.  I nodded, hoping he would get my message.

Donghae looked uncertain, and he opened his mouth as if to say something, but I quickly stopped him with a pleading look and a sharp shake of my head.  His eyes narrowed, but his shoulders shrugged in resignation as he slowly moved aside.

Still cursing lowly, Kyuhyun brushed past his Lieutenant, pulling me harshly before I had a chance to say anything.  I sighed quietly and allowed Kyuhyun to do as he pleased, hoping Donghae was smart enough to keep the others away.  I didn’t want anyone to overhear what Kyuhyun was no doubt going to be screaming at me.

Once we were safely inside the tent, Kyuhyun released my wrist, stormed over to the opening and fastened the flap closed.  He stalked towards his desk and began pacing angrily, his face growing darker with every step he took.

I massaged my wrist, wincing as I realized my skin was already starting to darken.  Keeping my eyes on Kyuhyun for any signs that he might blow up at me, I made my way towards the couch, sitting down carefully.

Kyuhyun didn’t even glance my way as he continued to stomp in a circuit around his desk.  I wanted to warn him not to get too worked up, but I knew it was safer for me to keep quiet as he blew off some steam. 

I sat back against the soft cushions and wondered why he was so angry.  Yes I understood that Kyuhyun didn’t like Yesung.  I also knew that Kyuhyun didn’t trust him either.  That being said, I still didn’t see why Kyuhyun reacted in such a violent manner.

I felt my brow furrow as I thought about what could have provoked him.  My eyes widened and I gasped softly when I came to a tentative conclusion.  I glanced over at Kyuhyun and saw his fists were clenched tight and the veins in his neck were sticking out.

I covered my mouth to hide my reaction, but my voice still came out as a soft squeak.  Kyuhyun’s eyes shot towards me, and he glowered in irritation.  The gesture was undoubtedly supposed to be scary and threatening, but I was still overcome with my realization so his actions had the opposite effect.

Not able to contain myself, I burst into laughter.  Kyuhyun blinked in confusion, his face losing its angry scowl.  This sudden change only caused me to laugh harder and tears of mirth formed in my eyes. 

“What the hell, Ryeowook?” he demanded, obviously still confused but trying to sound pissed.

I continued to laugh, gasping desperately as my lungs began to burn from lack of air.  I doubled over and concentrated on taking deep breaths, trying to fight off the giggles that threatened to disrupt my shaky composure.

When I had calmed down enough to talk, I wiped the tears from my eyes and looked at Kyuhyun with amusement.  His mystified expression quickly transformed into a scowl and he crossed his arms and glared at me menacingly.

“What the was so funny?” he snarled, clearly not appreciating the laughter directed towards him.

For the record, I did feel a small pang of guilt for laughing at his feelings.  It was immature of me, and to be fair, I wasn’t even sure if my suspicion was correct.  I settled down a bit more when I realized that my guess could be way off and I could end up looking like a fool.

I cleared my throat and breeched the subject carefully,

“Sorry Kyuhyun, but are you… could you maybe be, um, jealous?”

He didn’t even need to respond, the range of emotions that passed over his face was enough to confirm my hunch.  I nodded knowingly and he huffed and turned his back towards me, crossing his arms petulantly.

“I’m not jealous, are you ing insane?!” he tried to deny, using anger as a cover for his embarrassment.

I rolled my eyes, wondering idly how this childish man could be the head of such a powerful army.  I stood and approached him, I didn’t reach out but I knew he could feel my presence.

“If you weren’t jealous then why did you act so aggressively with my master?”

“Don’t call him that!” he snapped, “That piece of is a goddamn , stop making it sound like you belong to him!”

I arched my brow and snorted,

“That little outburst didn’t really do much to help your argument”

He didn’t respond and I felt him tense slightly.  I stifled a chuckle and wound my arms around his waist, hugging him from behind.  I felt him stiffen even more, but I refused to loosen my hold.

“Kyuhyun, I know you don’t like my mas-, Prince Yesung, but even so, you wouldn’t act like that normally.  There’s obviously something else going on, if it isn’t jealously then what is it?”

He was silent as he struggled for a viable explanation.  I buried my face into the back of his shirt, concealing my knowing grin.  Slowly as the silence stretched on, his body began to relax until I could feel his shoulders sag with defeat.  Knowing I had won, I removed my arms and moved so I was facing him.

He did his best to avoid my eyes, but I stared at him stubbornly until he had no choice but to acknowledge my existence. 

“Kyuhyun, are you jealous of Yesung?”

He averted his eyes and mumbled something incoherent, his cheeks flushing almost imperceptibly.  I reached out and grabbed his hand, squeezing it slightly as I whispered,

“Why would you be jealous of him?  I’m with you, not him”

The simple statement was enough to finally garner a reaction as he leaned forward and connected our lips.  His kiss was probing with an edge of desperation, almost as if he was asking if I was truly his.  I gasped when I felt his tongue brush against my bottom lip.

His hand came up to cup my chin and I found myself yielding to him, hesitantly parting my lips so his tongue could dart inside.  I felt my knees tremble slightly as the foreign sensation warmed me to the core.  My arms encircled his neck, subconsciously bringing him closer.

Almost involuntarily, my own tongue began to move, following Kyuhyun’s lead.  As our tongues rubbed against each other, a high pitched, needy moan escaped from my throat.  Startled by the strange noise I pulled away, gasping for air as I tried to figure out what had just happened.  I glanced up to find Kyuhyun looking down at me, his eyes dark and searching.

I blushed under his intense stare, feeling awkwardly vulnerable.  My stomach was still warm and fluttery, and my lips tingled with the ghost of Kyuhyun’s ministrations. 

“See?” I mumbled quietly, flushing an even darker shade of red, “No need to be jealous”

When I glanced up again Kyuhyun was smiling slightly, his eyes were soft and he seemed much more relaxed.  He wrapped his arms around me, tucking my head under his chin.  I willingly drew closer, resting my head against his chest. 

“Ryeowook, don’t meet with that bastard again” he whispered, his voice authoritative.

I sighed, knowing things would eventually come to this.  I didn’t push myself away when I spoke, my words slightly muffled by his shirt,

“He’s my master, Kyuhyun”

His arms tensed around me and I could feel his growl resonate through his chest,

“I don’t care, he ing hurt you”

I nodded,

“But he also saved me.  As much as I hate being his slave, if he didn’t pick me I would be dead right now”

Kyuhyun didn’t say anything, but his arms tightened their hold on me.  I stayed quiet, letting the sound of his heartbeat resonate through me.  Finally he spoke,

“Fine, but you’re not allowed to see him alone.  I have to go with you”

I bit my lips to stop the smile that threatened to reveal itself and simply nodded, knowing this would be the only compromise he was willing to make.  I decided not to bring up Yesung’s proposition, hoping he had forgotten, it seemed unnecessary, and I knew it would only anger him more.

I pushed all thoughts of Yesung from my head, not wanting to think about becoming his concubine.  Right now, all I could think about was Kyuhyun and the strangely wonderful feelings that only he could provoke. 

For the time being, I pretended that I could stay with Kyuhyun without any obstacles.  I pretended that Yesung’s proposition didn’t hang over my head.  I pretended that a decision was not imminent.

I pretended.


 

 

Special Birthday update for TheGreatRinnim

Happy birthday unnie, hope you have an awesome day ^^

*throws confetti to celebrate*

 

Music: "Coup D'etat"- G-Dragon