Chapter 26

Too Close to Love You

 

There was no need for me to wake up early.  Training was cancelled for today as Kyuhyun was forced to attend strategy meetings with the king.  Unfortunately, the weeks of waking with the sunrise made it impossible to sleep in, my eyes automatically opening much to my annoyance.

I groaned, but didn’t bother trying to go back to sleep, I knew it would be useless.  I slipped out of bed and padded out of the room.  I found Kyuhyun already seated at the table, a maid already having brought him his breakfast.

He didn’t even look up as I sat opposite to him.

“You’re up early” he stated, yawning slightly.

I rolled my eyes and grumbled,

“Well someone has had me waking up at the crack of dawn for a month, it’s hard to break habits”

He didn’t even look apologetic as he nodded in response, spooning another bite of rice into his mouth.  I watched him, slightly nauseous at the thought of eating so early, wondering how he managed to force anything down.

Kyuhyun glanced up at me, chuckling slightly when he saw my disgusted grimace.

“Want some eggs?  They’re sunny side up”

I resisted the urge to dry heave and glared at him,

“You’re hilarious” I grumbled sarcastically.

He shrugged and replied breezily,

“Just another thing that makes me so damn attractive”

I snorted and rolled my eyes, not even bothering to argue with him.  I rubbed my eyes, frustrated with the fact that even though I was tired I knew I would never be able to fall back asleep.

“So what are you going to do now that you have a free day?” Kyuhyun asked with his mouth full of food.

I shrugged,

“I don’t know, laze around?”

Kyuhyun scoffed and replied sternly,

“Why don’t you do something productive for once?”

I shot him a harsh look and hissed,

“Because you’re such a hard worker.  Lazy- hypocrite”

Kyuhyun didn’t even appear ruffled by my insult as he wiped his mouth.

“Come to the meeting with me”

I made a face and shot back,

“I’d rather do menial labor”

He rolled his eyes,

“Sorry, but as your current master, I’m ordering you to come.  Your little prince is gonna be there and I might as well have some entertainment.  I might die of boredom if I don’t find something to distract me”

“You’re kidding, right?”

He shot me a look and I sighed in resignation.  It appeared I would be attending a meeting today.

**********

“Hurry up” I whispered fiercely at Kyuhyun who trailed behind me.

“Ugh, I really don’t want to go” he grumbled, continuing to move at his sluggish pace.

I rolled my eyes and stomped over to him grabbing his hand and pulling him after me.

“You think I want to go?” I asked angrily, “Hell no, but you don’t see me acting like a petulant child”

“No, but you’re sure acting like you have a metal rod shoved up your ”

I sent him an acidic glare and pulled him even faster, not wanting to be late.

“For heaven’s sake, you are the Commander and you will eventually be the Head General, act like it!”

Kyuhyun hissed under his breath,

“Prissy, little goody-two-shoes”

I took a deep breath and tried to stop myself from kicking his pompous .  I managed to ignore his words, my anxiety driving me along.  I hated being late, it only drew attention to myself and life was much easier when no one noticed me.

Despite Kyuhyun’s best efforts, we arrived at the designated meeting room with time to spare.  I knew Kyuhyun would try to bolt if given the chance so I quickly pulled him inside the chamber.  I scanned the room, breathing a sigh of relief when I saw that there were still several empty seats.  It was reassuring to know that we weren't the last people to arrive.

As I looked around my eyes fell on to my master.  He happened to look up right at that moment.  His eyes met mine and they softened ever so slightly, however his eyes travelled down to my hand and his eyes turned cold and dark when he saw I was still holding Kyuhyun’s hand.

I paled when realization hit and I immediately tried to drop it.  Unfortunately, Kyuhyun, being the he was, refused to let me pull away and gripped me even tighter.  I dug my nails into him in retaliation and I smirked when I saw him wince slightly in pain.  But he still didn’t loosen his hold and he led me over to his seat, his eyes locked on Yesung mockingly.

He finally released my hand we sat down.  He sat on a plush floor cushion, emerald silk with golden embroidery.  I sat slightly behind him as was considered acceptable for a servant.  Kyuhyun turned to face me and shot me a smug smirk.  I simply rolled my eyes in response and stealthily kicked him in the back.

He narrowed his eyes at me, but before he had a chance to get revenge his father walked into the room.  I watched as the imposing man looked around the room, nodding when he saw Kyuhyun was already here.

I stood and bowed politely as he approached.  He waved his hand flippantly by way of acknowledgement and then eyed Kyuhyun critically.

“I didn’t expect you to come, I’m rather impressed” the cold man finally said as he sat beside Kyuhyun.

I quietly resumed my position behind Kyuhyun, feeling awkward as I listened to their conversation.

“Well you know how I live to please you” Kyuhyun replied.

His voice was seemingly polite, but there was a sharp edge to his words that made me shiver slightly.  If Kyuhyun’s father noticed he didn’t show it, his eyes combing the room as he attempted to make idle small talk.

“How is training going?”

“Fine” Kyuhyun replied curtly, obviously not interested in talking.

I looked at the two curiously as a thick tension settled in the air between them.  Kyuhyun’s body language had changed as soon as his father entered the room.  I noted with slight interest how his clenched fist trembled in his lap.

The king’s entrance broke the uncomfortable silence between the father and son.  Everyone stood and bowed in respect until the king motioned for them to sit again.  He went around the room personally greeting each person, a genial smile on his face.

When he reached our group I bowed again and he smiled warmly at me and nodded in greeting before addressing his army heads.

“Hello General Cho, I hope you will be ready to discuss security measures at today’s meeting”

Kyuhyun’s father nodded and smiled stiffly,

“Yes your majesty, I have prepared all the necessary information”

The king nodded before turning to face Kyuhyun.  The king smiled fondly and I noticed that Kyuhyun seemed much more relaxed than before.

“And you Commander Cho?  I’m sure you will enlighten us on out troops’ training status and provide us with valuable strategy insight”

“Of course your majesty” Kyuhyun replied, smiling slightly.

King Hangeng nodded and patted Kyuhyun’s shoulder before taking his position and calling the meeting into action.

The first matters that were discussed were of little interest to me, so I found myself zoning out, pondering the strange dynamic that characterized Kyuhyun’s relationship with his father.

Truthfully, I was a bit puzzled by their interaction.  It was clear that Kyuhyun and his father weren’t close, but the way that Kyuhyun talked to him and acted around him led me believe that there was something seriously wrong between them.

It would be understatement to say that their relationship was strained.  It would be more accurate to describe their relationship as caustic, at least based on the mutual disdain that seemed to flow between the two.

I was also curious about Kyuhyun’s interactions with the king.  Based on how he acted, I would have guessed that King Hangeng was Kyuhyun’s father.  The king seemed genuinely fond of Kyuhyun and the latter actually seemed to respect the king.  It was an odd dynamic all around.

My thoughts were interrupted by Kyuhyun’s voice.  I glanced up and saw him glaring at his father, his eyes flashing dangerously.

“Are you insinuating something General Cho?” Kyuhyun’s voice was colder than ice, and there was a definite challenge in his tone.

I turned to find Kyuhyun’s father regarding his son with the same amount of malice as he replied in clipped tones,

“I’m just questioning whether your judgment on the matter is sound Commander”

I wasn’t entirely sure what was going on, but based on what was happening now I concluded that the Head General was disagreeing with Kyuhyun’s battle strategy.  My thoughts were confirmed when Kyuhyun bit back,

“Well my strategies have proven very successful in the past as opposed to your own tactics General”

My eyes widened as Kyuhyun’s father hastily got to his feet, his hands clenched into fists.  Kyuhyun stood and the two stared each other down, both looking like they would love to kill the other right then and there.

“Enough!”

My head snapped to the side to see King Hangeng eyeing the two angrily.  The two stopped and looked at the king, both having the decency to look ashamed.  The king looked at the other ministers and announced,

“We’ll take a short break now”

The king hadn’t asked anyone to leave, but the ministers quickly exited the room understanding the king’s intention.  My master was the last one out of the room, eyeing Kyuhyun and his father looking almost amused by the whole ordeal.

I wasn’t sure if I should leave or not, but when the king began to speak I realized it would be impossible to go without drawing attention to myself.  I made myself as small as possible, scooting until my back hit the wall.

“This needs to stop.  You are my right hand men, I cannot rule this kingdom without you two and you are very important to me.  That being said, I will not tolerate you guys bringing your personal matters into business affairs”

I watched as the king talked to them sternly, it felt like he had spoken those words many times before.  I assumed that this sort of thing wasn’t a new occurrence between the two.

Kyuhyun who had bowed his head now looked up, his eyes aflame with so much emotion I actually found myself holding back a startled gasp.

“This can’t ever end!  Never!  After everything this bastard has put me through, how can you expect me to act civilly?!  It’s impossible, it’s ing impossible!” Kyuhyun seethed, his voice was low but so full of resentment and hate that even the king flinched slightly.

Kyuhyun’s father on the other hand looked unmoved, he simply looked at Kyuhyun like he was a cockroach and sneered,

“You should be thankful to me you goddamn piece of !”

“Thankful!?  THANKFUL!?” Kyuhyun laughed, but it was a biting sarcastic sound, “What the should I thank you for!?  For ruining my life!?”

“Ruining your life?  You ingrate!  You’re no better than your of a mother!”

“CHO MANHO!” King Hangeng yelled, his face contorting with anger, “That’s enough!”

But it was too late.  The damage had been done.  Kyuhyun snapped.

Before I could even blink, the Head General was on the ground screaming in pain.  Blood gushed from his nose and it was bent at a painfully awkward angle.  Kyuhyun stood above the writhing figure of his father, his hand clenched in a fist dripping with the other’s blood.

Kyuhyun’s eyes were frightening, almost mad with the force of his fury.  I gasped audibly when Kyuhyun maliciously spit right on his father’s face before storming out of the room, a dark, foreboding aura surrounding him.

My panicked eyes darted between the still screaming Head General and the door that Kyuhyun had just run out of.  My heart was racing and I felt like I was going to pass out from the fear and shock that raced through my veins.

Never had I ever seen Kyuhyun like this.  I might have seen flashes of his inner emotions, but never in a million years would I ever have expected him to be hiding this amount of hate.  I couldn’t fathom it.  It was Kyuhyun, but was this the real Kyuhyun?

Someone cleared their throat and I looked up to see the king looking down at me.  Kyuhyun’s father was still shaking from pain and anger, but his screams had subsided so the king’s soft cough echoed through the room.

“I-I uh… I-I c-can exp-plain” I stuttered, scrambling to my feet.

The king shook his head, not looking angry, but rather tired.

“I heard that Kyuhyun made an announcement during training, a death threat towards anyone who dared to touch a specific person”

I nodded in response, not sure what he was getting at.

“Well I’m assuming the person he wanted to protect was you”

I hesitated a moment before finally nodding, deciding it wouldn’t do me any good to lie to the king.  King Hangeng sent me a small, knowing smile.  I wasn’t sure what he was thinking, so I simply stayed quiet.

“Please go find him.  He’s bound to get into some trouble the way he is now.  He definitely needs someone right now”

I opened my mouth to tell him, to explain that there really wasn’t anything I could do.  I wanted to tell the king that Kyuhyun and I weren’t close, that we weren’t even friends.  I wanted to tell him anything that would get me out of this situation.

I couldn’t be the one to talk to Kyuhyun, we were already crossing lines that should never be crossed and I couldn’t stand to see what would happen if more of the barriers between us crumbled down.

But he was the king, and I was nothing but a slave.  I bit my lip and finally nodded, bowing before running out the door.  Once I was out of earshot I cursed, knowing that this wouldn’t go over well.

I tried Kyuhyun’s chambers, but they were empty.  I wasn’t too surprised by this fact, I had a feeling that he would want to leave the constricting stone walls of the castle behind him.  I ran outside and looked at the stables.  My hunch was proven when I saw that Kyuhyun’s big, black horse was missing. 

I sighed and followed the hoof prints that were imprinted in the deep snow.  As I followed the trail through the thick forest I silently prayed to the moon and the stars that things would be okay.  I prayed that nothing between us would change and we could continue our lives without coming any closer.

Looking back, I would have mocked my foolishness.  I should have known by then.  If life had taught me one thing it was that my prayers were never answered.

This time would be no exception.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long update for y'all!

The secrets of Kyuhyun's past are starting to reveal themselves... finally!

Thanks for reading and as always I luuuuurve you all ^^

...

Sidenote: was it weird that Wookie can't eat in the morning?  Idk, but I'm like that... plus raw egg yolks...

*shudders in disgust*

 

Music: "Punishment"- Roh Ji Hoon