Chapter 3

Too Close to Love You

The other slaves must have known I was Yesung’s private servant because they all treated me with great respect.  They refused to let me help them, insisting that I should just relax.  I smiled slightly, it was almost like they were treating me as a guest.

It was the second day since our arrival and my master was busy with meetings and negotiations.  Tonight there would be a party and I would need to help my master get ready, but until then I was free to do as I pleased.

I strolled around the snow covered gardens, closing my eyes and breathing in the fresh smell of the snow and the spicy smell of the pine trees that surrounded the gardens.  I left the clear paths in favor of the deep snow that led into the forest.

I allowed my mind to wander, pretending for a few blissful minutes that I was free and walking the mountain trails that led to the small cottage I shared with my mother.  A sharp thumping sound brought me out of my daydream.

I followed the sound and it led me to a clearing in the trees.  I realized it was a shooting range where archers could practice their aim.  I was short so I couldn’t get a good look at the whole range, I couldn’t even get a clear look at the archer.

I walked over to a tree with relatively low branches.  I easily climbed up, recalling the practice I had as a young child.  I clambered to the highest branches, shaking away the snow as I went.  When I was high enough to see the whole clearing, I set myself down, hugging the main trunk for stability.

The shooter stood about 300 feet from his target.  I studied the archer and determined that it was a man.  I frowned slightly when I saw he was not wearing a heavy cloak, but just a light shirt and a simple pair of pants. 

“He must be cold”, I mused to myself as another gust of wind made my skin prickle with goose bumps.  The icy air didn’t seem to hinder the man as he cocked his bow in a smooth, practiced motion.  He held the arrow in place, taking his aim.

He pulled the string till it was tight.  He steadied himself, then, in a split second, he released the string, sending the arrow straight through the air.  A resounding thump resonated through the still woods as the arrow hit the target.

I was impressed.  The shooter was obviously skilled.  I figured he must be part of the royal guard, an archer most likely.  I knew little about soldiers, and mostly avoided them as a force of habit.  Normally, I wouldn’t have sat so long to watch someone shoot.  Truthfully, I was surprised I was still here.

I shook my head, breaking out of my daze.  The man’s hypnotic movements had me strangely captivated, leaving me completely unaware of the time that had passed.  I cursed when I noticed how the sun had dipped in the sky.

I shimmied down the tree and battled the deep snow in my efforts to hurry back to the castle.  The thundering of hoof beats came up behind me, but I didn’t bother to look back, doubting that the rider would even spare me a glance.  Surprisingly, as the galloping noise came closer, it slowed to an easy trot.

I glanced back and I realized it was the same stranger that I had seen the day before.  I also recognized him as the archer, his black clothing giving him away.  I stopped and bowed slightly before continuing my battle with the snow.  The horse trotted at my side and kept in step with me.

I felt slight irritation, thinking that the stranger was keeping my pace to taunt me.  I shot him a mild glare which he responded to with a light chuckle.

“I could give you a ride if you want”

His voice was deep and smooth, amusement coloring his tone.  I was about to refuse, my distrust of strangers making his proposal highly unappealing, but he added,

“You’ll be late if you try to return to the castle by foot”

I bit my lip, knowing that he was right.  I slowed and he followed suit, stopping his black horse beside me.  He slipped off the saddle and wordlessly offered his hands to boost me.  I stepped on his cupped hands hesitantly and allowed him to push me onto the back portion of the saddle. 

He sat himself in front of me, grabbing the reigns easily.  I did my best to maintain the distance between myself and the stranger.  He didn’t turn to face me, but he warned gently,

“You’ll have to hold on, we’re going to gallop”

I grimaced, but obediently encircled his waist with my arms.  Once he felt me tighten my grip, he spurred his horse, sending the animal off at breakneck speeds.   My body was rigid with fear, but he remained calm, obviously used to the creature’s quickness.

“I’m Kyuhyun by the way” he stated over the pounding of the horse’s hoofs.

“Yes, we met yesterday” I replied, trying to keep the frightened tremor out of my voice.

“You remembered” he mused, sounding somewhat pleased.

I squeezed my eyes closed, my panic increasing as I watched the trees flash by in a white blur.  I unconsciously tightened my grip, bringing my body closer to his.  I let out a silent sigh of relief when I felt the horse slow.

I cracked open an eye and saw we were now in the courtyard of the castle.  It was also at that moment that I realized how I clung to a relative stranger.  I scooted away from him like he was on fire.  I quickly slid off the horse’s back, feeling safer as my feet reached solid ground.

I bowed politely, but didn’t meet his eyes.  I thanked him quietly before hurrying inside, hoping I hadn’t angered my master.  I was so concerned by my lateness that I didn’t even spare a thought for the kind man who had graciously offered to help me.

I would save such ponderings for later…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It always feels weird to write nice Kyu... oh well it won't last!  Kekeke!

Thanks for reading!  Don't forget to comment and subscribe! ^^

Music: "Alone- Remix" by SISTAR (from MBC Music Festival, so cool!)