Explanations, implications, irritation, resignation

Love is Sweet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyun Hee woke up to the sweet melody of birds chirping as the cool, refreshing air breezed in and out of her open windows. Outside, the sun was just beginning to peek out of its hiding place. One would say that it was the beginning of a beautiful, sunny day.

As if

With difficulty, Hyun Hee opened her eyes, only to be stricken by a flash of a throbbing headache. She dragged herself out of the covers, only to fall back on the pillow. Struggling, she sat up, stood and staggered into the bathroom. She was already immersed in the act of brushing her teeth when she realized that she was not in her apartment. She turned to her reflection on the mirror, only to be horrified by her own appearance; sunken eyes, untamed hair, cluelessness.

What the hell happened last night?

A faded memory of blaring lights and oddly iridescent drinks waltzed in the corners of her mind. She distinctly felt the thought bumping into the walls of her head, like an attention-seeking kid trying to be noticed.

She quickly doused her face with water, hoping its icy coldness would knock some sense into her memory. Seeing as it did nothing to help her, she wiped her face dry and exited the bedroom.

She walked through the seemingly deserted hallways searching for answers. She did not have a single clue about how she ended up in her grandparents’ house or how she suddenly found herself tucked inside her bed. She could not trust herself to give resolutions to her own queries. Her mind throbbed from the beating remnants of intoxication. She was trying hard to keep her balance in check as she traipsed down the stairs. Gripping the handle with both hands, she took each step with care; she was already going through so much mental and physical disorientation, she could not afford to have any broken bones on top of that.

Like a lone wanderer stumbling into a place for the first time, she entered the living room. Finding it empty, she moved on to the kitchen. It, too, was voided of her own species. Nearly frustrated, Hyun Hee walked out to the veranda. It overlooked one of her favourite views in the whole Park estate; her grandparents’ colourful garden. It stretched out endlessly; all lush, green and free. The fresh, clean air served her a bit of comfort. She closed her eyes, savouring the serenity of the sounds and even the smell. This little moment of tranquillity was interrupted by two echoes of laughter. This was music to Hyun Hee’s ears. She opened her eyes and directed her gaze to the figure appearing in the distance.

“You’re awake!”

Park Tae Jin’s guffaw was the most melodious and recognizable sound in the world to her.

Hyun Hee glanced at the remote control in his hands. She smiled at her grandfather.

Always the RC helicopter fanatic

“I heard you had a bit of fun last night, princess.” Tae Jin said as he walked over to her side.

“Oh, Grandpa.” she said, giving him a one-arm hug.

He patted her back, “Low tolerance. We, Parks, have it.”

Hyun Hee laid her head on Tae Jin’s shoulder, wanting to hide her face in shame. Last night was a side of her that she did not think she ever had the guts to reveal, even to herself.

“Good morning, princess.”

She looked up to the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter