VI

More Than This

 

 

PART SIX

 

 

 

 

There was a knock at the door of Jiyong’s house, Ms Dong hurried toward the door.

“Hello, you must be Jiyong’s mother?” Heejun asked and smiled. “I came here to give you the prescription for your medicine” she said and handed the paper to Ms Dong.

“Please come in” Ms Dong said stepping aside and opening the door wider for the woman to come inside. Heejun smiled and walked in. She took a look around the house. It was clean but the house itself looked like it needed some serious repairs to be done.

In some places, the paint was peeling off the wall. The furniture was old it needed replacement. The rooms were small. Anger raged within Heejun and to think that her son was living in conditions like this for eighteen years. She didn’t understand how could someone be so heartless to kidnap an innocent baby. What was that woman thinking? What was her reason? Did she realize how many people were hurt because of her actions?

But Heejun decided to keep it in and talk to her first, and maybe she’ll find out why she did what she did. There was no point of shouting and doing anything dramatic in a situation like this. The last thing she wanted is to be separated from her son again. Heejun knew better, if she was to do anything to do that woman, Jiyong would be hurt and probably not to talk to her ever again, and she won’t let that happen no matter what.



“Please have a seat. Would you like anything to drink?” asked Ms Dong as she made her way to the kitchen. Heejun sat down on a chair at a dining table. “Yes please” she said and faked a smile.

“Would tea be alright?” Ms dong asked taking the cups out of the cabinet.

“Yes”

“So there are only two weeks left of the punishment?” Ms dong asked pouring the hot water into the cup.

‘Oh so now she wants the punishment to be over as soon as possible is that how it is?’ Heejun thought to herself. She wondered if she knew that Jiyong is actually the son of the Kwon family and how would she react if Heejun just stood up this moment and told her that Jiyong is her son.

“Yes only two weeks left” Heejun wanted to sigh but kept it.

“I’m really sorry for what he did, but I’m sure that he didn’t mean it. Jiyong is a good child no matter what people may think of him, he takes good take care of his family and friends” Ms Dong said handing Heejun her cup of tea and then taking a seat across from her.

“Yes I can see that. You raised him very well ma’am” Heejun told her.

It felt so strange taking to a woman she was supposed to hate for taking her happiness away from her. There were so many things she wanted to do with her son but didn’t. She didn’t even know if he would like them, she didn’t know her own son.

“Oh thank you very much Mrs. Kwon, but you did a good job yourself” Ms Dong smiled at her. “Dara is a very down to earth girl” she added.

Heejun just smiled in agreement it was true her daughter was a very down to earth girl. Yet so innocent and vulnerable girl, sometimes she and Yang worried that someone may take advantage of Dara’s generosity.

“Please excuse my curiosity but Jiyong never mentioned anything about his father… so I was just wandering…” Heejun said looking for the right words to finish her sentence.

“Jiyong never knew his father” Ms Dong simply said.

“He left?” Heejun asked.

Ms Dong nodded her head as she continued to drink her tea. “He left when I brought Jiyong home”

“When you brought Jiyong home?” Heejun reaped her words.

“Yes. You see Mrs. Kwon my Jiyong doesn’t know it, but I found him when he was a baby” Ms Dong smiled at the shocked face of Heejun.

“F-found… h-him?” she stammered.

Heejun saw the woman nod. “I found him on the bridge of Han River wrapped up in a blanket. He had a bracelet with the name ‘Jiyong’ on it, so I decided to name him that”

“Didn’t you look for his parents?”

“I did. I tried my best to find his parents but couldn’t. After all, I only knew that he was abounded on a bridge, so I went there every afternoon for about three months asking people about a baby boy, but they only ignored, so all I could do is take him as my son”

“A-and the police?”

Ms Dong shook her head no. “I could have but I didn’t know why the boy was left on that bridge in the first place. What if his family didn’t want him? If I had gone to the police, and then it turned out that they couldn’t find his family he would end up in an orphanage”

Heejun felt herself shiver under the table if not this woman, then who kidnapped her son? And how is she supposed to tell her that he is his mother, and that she didn’t leave him, but he got stolen out of her life?

“But now it doesn’t make any difference because he is my son. I raised him for eighteen years, alone. I know him better than anyone else. We don’t have to blood related to love each other and make a family”

That one really shot her hard. As much as Heejun wanted to argue about that she knew she doesn’t have any right and saying that would be wrong because Dara is not her biological daughter, but she is still her daughter her princess. That made Heejun wonder if she should just forget about the whole incident even though now she was sure that Jiyong was her son. He was happy with his family, and Heejun didn’t want to ruin his happiness.



Heejun felt teary, she bit her lip to stop the tears and silently prayed for something to happen. Something that could take her out of there. Out of this house. Away from that woman.

Then Heejun felt her phone vibrate. She quickly took it out of her pocket and looked at the contact number.

“Sorry” she excused herself from Ms Dong.

“Hello…Honey…Yes….I did what you asked….Right now I’m at Jiyong’s house…I gave his mother her prescription…A meeting?...Oh alright….No….No problem dear….I'll talk to you at home…Okay have a nice day….love you too” with that she hung up and looked in the direction of Ms Dong.


“I’m sorry Ms Dong but there has been an unexpected meeting arranged, and I’m afraid I have to leave if I don’t want to be late” Heejun told her.

She was thankful to her husband even though she hated to attend meeting right now she was glad it came up because it gave her a reason to leave.

“Oh alright, It was nice to meet you, Mrs. Kwon” Ms Dong said and offered her hand, hesitantly Heejun shook her hand and tried to smile.

“Mrs. Kwon” Jiyong’s mother called out when Heejun was about to leave. She turned to look at the woman.

“Please let’s keep this talk private?” Ms Dong asked.

Heejun swallowed hard and nodded her head slowly before leaving.

**

Dara was out of school first and decided to wait for Yuri and Bom near the gate.

Then she saw Kiko standing near the exit with a smirk on her face. Dara sighed she knew that seeing her here meant no good. But what could she do. It was the only exit out of the school. So no matter how much Dara wanted to avoid her, there wasn’t any possible way of doing so.


“Oh hello there Miss Park, I didn’t expect to see you here” Kiko said in her high-pitched voice.

Seriously, how stupid can this girl be? It was obvious that Dara would be here since she attends this school.

“I think Jiyong is still inside” Dara told her.

“Oh but I’m not looking for GD. I’m here because there’s an issue I need to discuss with you” she said putting her hands on her hips.

“Me?” Dara asked raising her brow.

“Yes you” Kiko said with a smirk. “Well, you see…” she said leaning closer to Dara, so she could whisper into her ear “…I want you to stay away from Jiyong!”



“But we’re friends, why should I listen to you?” Dara asked rolling her eyes at her. Kiko just burst out laughing like someone had told a joke of the century.

“What’s so funny?” Dara asked gripping her bag tighter out of annoyance.

“You and your different perspective of things”

Dara gave her a confused look.

“Do you know what the word ‘friends’ mean?” Kiko asked her.

“What are you talking about?” Dara was just confused with that girl.

“A person who would never intentionally hurt you, lie to you, deceive you, manipulate you, abuse you and who takes great care to be kind to you, honest with you, dependable and loyal. Someone who you trust without question because they have never given you any reason not to trust them. Someone you enjoy being around and look forward to seeing. Someone who would sacrifice themselves for you”

”What are you trying to say?”

“Do you really think that Jiyong is that kind of person to you?” Kiko asked raising her brow.

“Well… I… I…” Dara muttered out. Sure that description didn’t suit her and Jiyong’s relationship but that didn’t mean that she couldn’t be his friend, and that she should just ignore him because someone told her to.

Kiko smirked satisfied. “And besides do you really think that Jiyong would be your so called ‘friend’ if not to this statue situation?”


It hit Dara like a cold shower on a chilly Monday morning. Sure he wouldn’t. He never cared. And she wasn’t even sure if he cares now. Or is it just her that thinks of him as a friend. Maybe he was just taking the opportunity of someone helping him with his homework.

The thought of that hurt Dara. The thought that all of their good times may be just lies. It was hard to admit, but she’s grown attached to him. That she nearly forgot her golden rule ‘Never get attached to anyone because you both will end up hurt’.

“As I though” Kiko said and smiled sweetly. It was making Dara sick.

“Just remember our talk, it’ll be better for you” and with that, Kiko turned and walked away leaving the stunned Dara standing at the school gate.

 

“Dara!” Dara heard Yuri call her, but she didn’t bother to turn around. Not after something like this. She didn’t know for what reason but Kiko’s words gave her an unexplainable pain. A pain that she never felt before.

“What did she want?” asked Bom putting her hand on Dara’s shoulder and glared at the direction of the walking away Kiko.

Dara just shook her head no, too shocked to even say a word. And after all, she had no idea of what to tell them anyway.

**

That evening Mr. Kwon sat in his office. He pulled out something out of his desk drawer. It was an old USG photo. The photo of his long-lost son. The only thing he had left of him.

Yang didn’t know why but ever since Jiyong came to this house, to his life. He couldn’t stop thinking about his own son. Maybe, because of the name, or maybe because of the age, or maybe because of the sentiment.

Whatever the reason was no matter how many time's Yang tried to shake it off it just came back, and it was making him feel uneasy.

He threw the photo back into the drawer and locked it up. He put his elbows on the edge of his desk and started to massage his temples. All of this thinking was giving him a headache.


“Thinking about him?” he heard a familiar voice. He looked up to see his wife sitting on the other side of the desk.

How did she get here without even making a sound? Or was he so distracted with his own thoughts that he didn’t notice her came in?

“I know you’ve been locking yourself in this office of yours ever since Jiyong came here” she said and walked over behind him and started to massage his back.

“I don’t know why” Yang told her truthfully.

“I see” she said nodding her head.

Yang laughed a bit. “You know ever since he came here, I was thinking if our son would grow up to be so reckless as well. Silly of me isn’t it?”

“I don’t think it is” Heejun shook her head and gripped on to his shoulders, which made him look at her.

“Are you okay?” he asked worried.

“Yang I want to know what would you do if Jiyong was our son?” Heejun asked, she wanted to know how would he react before she actually tells him the truth.

“I would cry” Yang said and smiled.

“I’m serious!” Heejun told him, kneeling next to where he was sitting facing him.

“So am I. If he was our Jiyong, I think I would break down in tears of pity for myself” he said and took her hands in his.

Heejun sighed “Then I guess you will cry” she muttered under her breath.

Yang’s eyes went wide when he heard her words. “What are you saying?’ he asked gripping her shoulders.

“Exactly what I said. You said you would cry if Jiyong turned out to be your son the well, I’m sorry” she said looking at him seriously. She could see the shock in his eyes and also anger.



“Are you having hallucinations again? Do I need to call your psychiatrist? And get you back to take the pills?” he asked and gripped her shoulders tighter.

Heejun shook his hands off and quickly stood up and backed away a few steps. She couldn’t believe of what her husband was accusing her of.

Sure eighteen years ago she was taking distressing pills and seeing a psychiatrist but that was after her son was kidnapped, anyone would have a mental breakdown. People use to think she was crazy because she would spend time in his room all day and talk to him like he was there. Her brain was rejecting the thought that her son wasn’t there. But after a while she managed to get herself together, when Dara came into their lives, it was a fresh start for everyone and especially for Heejun.


But now her husband was saying these horrible and hurtful wards to her without even listening to the whole story she wanted to tell him. But Yang always been like that, always jumping to a conclusion without seeing the other side of things. He was an egocentric.


“Are you calling me crazy?!” Heejun shouted trying to hold back her tears.

“No, I’m just worried about you” Yang said camly.

“Then why are you asking these questions?!” Heejun continued to shout.

“Because what you’re saying is just bully !” he shouted. He couldn’t take it anymore.

Heejun gasped at his words. He never swore, not at her. And both of them knew if either of them were to say things like that they would be in trouble.


Yang realized what he said and quickly stood up and made his way towards her. He tried to reach out for her, but she just slapped his hands away.

“You know what if I’m such a bad wife, go and find another one” she cried.

Heejun couldn’t hold up her tears anymore. She’s been hiding them for too long way too long. And it seems like her husband didn’t understand her at all.

“What are you saying… you know I love you… but sometimes you can get over emotional” he said and pulled her into his arms, but she harshly pushed him away.

As she made her way to the door she turned around and looked at him in disgust “You’re impossible” and with that she left his office. Tears still running down her cheeks, but she couldn’t care less. She made her was to her bedroom and lacked the door behind her.


She didn’t let him in. She didn’t want to see his face after what he said to her.

So that night he slept in the guest room.

**

Next day-after school Dara couldn’t think straight. Her parents arguing was a shock to her but that wasn’t the reason. It was Kiko’s words.

‘Do you really think that Jiyong would be your so called ‘friend’ if not to this statue situation?’

These words were pierced through her mind and no matter how much she wanted to forget about them every time she looked at Jiyong. They came back to her.


“Hey!” she heard and then felt a gentle tap on the back.

She turned to see Jiyong giving her his notes. Oh boy how could she be spacing out like that. She quickly shook her head and took the notebook from him and tried to smile.

“Ssantokki, are you alright, you’ve been spacing out?” he asked her worried.

Dara just nodded her head. “Sorry I was just thinking”

“You sure you’re okay?” he asked not really believing her the first time.

Dara giggled, how could she stay away from him when he can be so sweet and caring?

“Yes I’m sure” she said and smiled and saw Jiyong smile back. He nodded his head in understanding.


But still no matter how sweet Jiyong would act Kiko’s words stayed inside of Dara’s mind. And they were driving her insane. So she decided to ask him about it.

“Jiyong?”

“Hmm…” he muttered, which meant she got his attention.

Dara gathered all her courage and spoke the words out “Do you think we still would be friends if you hadn’t broke that statue?”

Jiyong gave her an odd stare and then his eyes went back to his notes.

“I don’t think so” he told her.

Dara’s heart felt totally numb for a second, but then she felt stabbing pain in her heart. It felt like someone was ripping her apart and taking her heart out. She shut her eyes tight to stop the tears that already formed from flowing.

“I see”

 

 

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

HERE'S ANOTHER CHAPTER. KIND OF SAD I FELT REALLY DEPRESSED WRITTING THIS.

SO WHO WANTS TO KILL KIKO?

YANG WASN'T VERY NICE TO HIS WIFE WAS HE? GOSH IF I WAS HEEJUN I WOULD TOTTALY KICK HIM BETWEEN THE LEGS! LOL

JIYONG WHY ARE YOU SO CLUELESS??? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU JUST SAID????

DO YOU THINK MS DONG DID THE RIGHT THING BY NOT GOING TO THE POLICE?

I HAVE A FEELING THAT YOU GUYS WILL LIKE THE NEXT CHAPTER I'M ACTUALLY WORKING ON IT RIGHT NOW EVEN THOUGHT I SHOULD BE SLEEPING COZ I HAVE SCHOOL TOMORROW. I'LL PROBABLY TAKE A NAP IN CLASS, JUST KIDDING! =)

ANYWAYS DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN I SAID I HAVE TWO NEW FANFICS IN MIND BUT DON'T KNOW WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE? YOU DO? GREAT PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE BY CLICKING THE LINK TO MY BLOG POST AND VOTING IF YOU HADN'T ALREADY: 

http://www.asianfanfics.com/blog/view/431336

PLEASE COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE, VOTEUP, SUPPORT AND TELL YOUR FRIENDS!

TELL ME YOUR THOUGHTS!

LOVE

xNiNiChan ^^