Winter

Drabbles

I loved the winter time. It was so damn cold outside, though. I couldn't afford a winter coat. I could hardly afford blankets. But winter was always the best time for me. Despite freezing in my little home, the cubby underneath the bridge, I was happy to see all the smiling faces of the people walking down the streets. I loved seeing the younger kids clinging to their parent's hands, asking them what they think Santa will bring them. It made me warm inside just to know there were people who didn't have to suffer like I did.

But it really wasn't suffering at all.

I could afford a bit of food every day. I had clothes on my back. And I had my spirit. No one could take that away from me. Not even the people who ridiculed about how my face was always dirty. Not even the adults who didn't understand who asked where my parents were.

I was eleven, not four. I did know how to survive on my own. My parents didn't die for me to fall right behind them.

But even without them, I still spent holidays like we normally would. I would go spend time with them at the graveyard, telling them what I received by the charity commission during their holiday giveaways. They gave me some nice warm clothes last year, and I was truly thankful. They also gave me some free coupons and stamps to get me food with. I would leave a gift for both my mother and my father, then I would head back home.

I was on my way home after the Christmas tradition, looking back at the roses I placed on my mother's grave to make sure they didn't fly away. I shrieked when I realized I ran into someone when I wasn't looking. I immediately bowed my head in apology, whispering the words, "I'm sorry" over and over.

"Don't worry about it."

I looked up, jumping when I saw someone who didn't look much older than I was, if he was even older. He was a little taller, with shaggy blonde hair hanging in his face. He had chubby cheeks and he wore a heavy sky blue coat, with a white furry hood. He had on sky blue sweat pants and furry white boots. "H-Have a good Christmas, sir." I bowed a full 90 degrees and slowly started walking away.

"Aren't you cold?" He called, stopping me dead in my tracks. I turned around and shook my head, a smile crossing my face.

"I'm fine, thank you." I insisted, continuing on my way.

"Come on, you!" He dashed to my and grabbed my arm. "You're dirty, too." He sighed. "My mother is cooking dinner now, so come stay."

"I don't want to burden you." I blushed, the heat rushing to my face with his sudden kindness. No one was ever kind to me. I was just the parent-less, dirty kid who lived under the bridge.

"Come on!" He chuckled. "My parents won't mind at all."

I just let him drag me into his home, relaxing when the harsh winter wind was replaced by heat. "Hey, honey. Who's this?" I saw a short woman walk over to us.

"He needs a bath." Was the only response he gave her. I blushed when he pulled me away from the woman and up some stairs. I gulped with the large size of their home and hoped he would walk me out of wherever he took me, because I'm sure I would get lost. He took me into a bathroom and motioned to the bathtub. "Go ahead and take a bath. I'll bring you some clothes."

"It's unnecessary, really." I smiled shyly, scratching my hair lightly.

"Come on and bathe! You're dirty!" He pushed me into the tub, shutting the shower curtain around me. "I'll be right here if you need help."

"I-I, uhhh.."

"Don't try and tell me it's not necessary again. It is because I say it is." He stopped me from speaking.

"Uh...thank you." I blushed, pulling my knees to my chest. "Thank you so much." I felt tears in my eyes. Even though he was a little aggressive, he was still determined to be kind to me.

"I don't hear the water!" He huffed. I slowly took off my ice-covered clothes and moved the shower curtain aside to set them on the floor. I closed it back and the water, hissing when it came out cold, but quickly warmed. Once I had it filled, I just relaxed myself in the warm water, not being able to take a bath in warm water for ages.

Once my bath was finished, I got out after hearing him leave. I dried myself and pulled on the clothes he provided, sighing when the pants were too big and I had to roll them up on the waist. I waddled out the door, scared of getting lost in this house. I didn't see him, and I didn't know his name, so I just waited there patiently. He returned, his other clothes gone, returned with penguin pajamas.

"Umma says I should ask your name." He smiled.

"Oh, Jongup." I smiled nervously, shifting the weight on my feet and looking at the floor.

"I'm Youngjae!" He grinned. "Where do you live?" He asked. I smiled and told him about my cubby under the bridge. He gasped and grabbed onto my hand suddenly. "Well you can't live there! It's cold out!"

"I-I'm okay! It's warm under there most of the time." I sighed with the warmth his hand was providing.

"Nonsense." He tapped my nose lightly with his other hand. "You're staying here, Jongup-ssi."

"I-I-I couldn't burden you and your mother like this." I mumbled, shaking my head. "I appreciate the bath, but I'll leave now." I felt tears in my eyes again from the kindness, and I just refused it. I couldn't live in this home, forcing these people to feed me along with themselves. I pulled on my shoes and headed downstairs, walking quickly through the maze of rooms looking for the exit. I soon got lost, and ended up back at the staircase where I started. I sighed and sat in the floor, looking to see Youngjae sit beside me.

"Please don't leave, Jongup-ssi." He sighed. "I'll be worried about you there in the cold." He put an arm around my shoulder. "Besides. I've always wanted someone my age to hang out with."

"Don't you have friends?" I asked.

He shook his head. "I've been home schooled my whole life." He turned to me. "Please, please tell me you'll stay. At least through the rest of winter!"

"Okay." I sighed, the tears falling down my face, but my smile wide. "Promise."

"Pinky promise." He held up his pinky, and I completed the promise, giggling when he threw his arms around me.

THE END.