Thousand

Drabbles

"A thousand miles?" I bit my lip, wanting to hear that this whole conversation was a lie.

"Just about." He sighed. "But we can still talk over the phone."

"But I want you to be here." I mumbled."You're my best friend."

"And you're mine, Jongup-ah." He pulled his bag on his back. "I have to go now. We don't want to be late."

"I'll come! A thousand miles! Just wait!" I called to him as he left, small tears streaming past my eyes.

I had no idea how to get to where he was going, but I knew it wasn't in Korea anymore. I knew it wasn't right down the street anymore. I knew we couldn't hang out anymore.

 

I sighed, looking down at my almost empty wallet. I smiled and looked at my mile counter. I was almost there. 997 miles. I kept going, not bothering to buy a cab in this foreign town, not after spending so much money flying here. It'd been five years since I'd talked to Daehyun, his mother throwing away his old phone. I'd finally saved up enough money to come, and finally turned old enough to get permission from my parents. I just hoped he hadn't forgotten about me. Because there was no way I could forget about him.

I looked at my counter again. 998 miles. I eagerly looked around, having no idea which house it was, but knew I was headed to the right street. I had written it down the day he left.

I kept going, growing even more tired than I already was. I suddenly stopped. One thousand miles. I'd made it. This was the right street, the right spot. If only I knew which house to knock on. I made sure my brown hair was nicely styled beneath my black hat, made sure my black jeans were securely on my waist, and made sure my fluorescent green, sleeveless shirt was wrinkle free, knowing he loved bright colors. I saw a woman come out of a home and I darted to her.

"Miss, do you speak Korean?" I asked.

She nodded with a smile. "My neighbor taught me. She's a real sweet lady from Busan."

I felt my heart race in my chest. "Is her name Jung Sijun?"

"It is." She motioned to a house. "Right over there."

"Thank you, miss. So much." I bowed to her again and again, practically sprinting over to the home. I knocked slowly, almost afraid. What if they didn't recognize me? What if Miss Jung didn't want me here? What if Daehyun forgot me?

The door opened and I nervously shifted on my feet. I couldn't help but stare in awe when I saw my best friend after all these years. His hair was no longer black, but a nice dirty blonde. It hung down on his forehead nicely. His skin was smooth and flawless like before, his full lips grown out even more. His deep brown eyes were just as beautiful, if not more. His figure was slender, and he was just a little taller than I was. He wore tight white jeans and a bright red shirt. Both of his ears were pierced, small red studs in them.

He jumped back when he saw me, but then I saw his lips curve into a smile. "No way." He whispered. I saw tears form in his eyes and I just held up my counter.

"It's like you said hyung..." I chuckled. "...it was only a thousand miles."

THE END.