Simple

Drabbles

Jongup had a simple life. He would wake up in the morning every day at six am. He would head to school, do his work, talk to his friend Junhong, stay quiet most of the time, and never get into any trouble. Then he would head straight home, wave to his parents, answer the phone when his brothers called from college, and the he would play games for an hour after finishing his homework. He would eat dinner, take a shower, play games some more, then head to bed. His days were routine, nothing ever changing, nothing complicated, everything simple.

He loved it that way. He had no worries, nothing to fear. He thought of nothing for the most part, keeping a constant smile on his face. He was happy with life, nothing going wrong. His smile was unbreakable, except when his parents went to the store, never to come back. It was his second year of high school, age 16, and the police reported to him that his parents were in a severe car crash, neither of them able to make it.

Jongup's life flipped upside down. His smile having to come from concentration, not his natural feelings. His happiness had to come from his imagination, not reality. Having the energy to go throughout the day came from force, not self-motivation. He had to move in with Junhong in order to survive, his routine days becoming a stress. He had to deal with Junhong's older brother, Daehyun, who ate absolutely everything he could get his hands on. He had to deal with Daehyun's boyfriend, Youngjae, who came over every weekend, keeping the younger ones up with their noises.

Jongup hated life. In his third year of high school, age 17, he had stopped trying to be happy for everyone. He kept a blank face, emotion gone unless he was around Junhong. If he didn't fake for his friend, then Junhong would become so annoying asking about his problems that he would scream.

There was nothing worth living for. But he kept going, knowing his parents would scold him in the afterlife if he gave up on his studies.

Jongup just prayed for simplicity. He didn't want to worry about Daehyun eating his share of food before he got out of the shower. He didn't want to worry about Junhong kicking him in his sleep. He didn't want to worry about his fourth period class, where the teacher would scold him when he just didn't feel up to answering any questions. He just wanted someone who would take care of things, someone he could lean on when he was down, someone who swept all his worries away.

Someone who would love him. He knew Junhong's parents cared about him, but that was only because he was Junhong's best friend. He knew Daehyun stared at him when he came out of the shower, but that's because he was just hungry. He was always hungry, for everything. He knew Youngjae asked him multiple times if he wanted to join them in their "late night movie session." He wasn't stupid. He knew what went on in there, and he didn't want to join in on that. Not with them. He knew they didn't really care about him. He knew they didn't love him. No one loved him. He didn't even love himself.

He despised winter break. He had nowhere to go. He was stuck in the house with Junhong's family. But he truly wanted to roam around Seoul. He wanted to get out and just forget all the worries. He wanted to relax for once in these hard two years. He wanted someone to embrace him like his mother would. He wanted someone to ask him how he was like his father would. He missed them. Those people that loved him. His brothers stopped calling, too broken up about their mother. He missed them. His brothers that loved him. Was having someone love you too much to ask?

But when Junhong's parents wanted to have a vacation, there was no way he could escape. So he was drug along side them, all the way to Incheon. It was the edge of Incheon, by the ocean, but he still despised it. But of course, he put on the facade to Junhong, acting like he was just as excited as he. Their first night was all about getting settled in their hotel room. But the next night, Junhong insisted they go to the nearest amusement park. Jongup tried to argue and say it was too cold, but Junhong wasn't having it. It was indoors, after all. Jongup found himself wandering away when Daehyun and Youngjae were waiting on Junhong to get off a ride. He found himself heading to the window, looking out at the snow falling. He was glad the heat was on in this building, because it was probably freezing outside.

"Lose your parents, kid?" A deep voice rang in Jongup's ears.

Jongup turned around to see a tall man, deep purple hair hanging in his face. Jongup sighed. "A long time ago, sir." He whispered truthfully.

The man sighed. "I'm sorry."

Jongup just shook his head, watching the snowflakes fall one by one, remembering when his parents would share stories by the fireplace when he was younger, when it was too cold outside to play. "But I'm here with my friend's family, so I'm not lost." Jongup informed, as the man was still standing beside him. The man moved to lean on the window where Jongup was.

"That's nice of them, to take you in." The man turned to him, his dark eyes landing on Jongup's.

"Yeah." Jongup sighed when he heard Junhong call for him. Jongup just turned and bowed his head slightly. "He's calling for me."

"You better go to him, then." The man smiled. Jongup nodded, walking away from the man and making his way to the blonde curls he could see bouncing over everyone's head.

After their time at the indoor park was over, Jongup asked Junhong's mother if he could go explore Incheon. She told him he could, as long as he took Daehyun or Youngjae with him. He decided on taking both, knowing if he pointed out the club he saw earlier, they would leave him on his own. His plan worked flawlessly, leaving him to roam the streets as he pleased. He was freezing in his coat, but he didn't mind. He enjoyed the sight of the city, loving the way the snow fell against the ground, coating it in a beautiful white blanket.

He expected to be yelled at when he returned, but wasn't expecting a black corvette to pull up beside him and slow down. He was slightly weirded out by the vehicle, but didn't pay attention to it. But when the window rolled down, he turned to it. "Hey." He heard the familiar deep voice and smiled.

"You're the man from the park." Jongup noted aloud. "What did you need?"

"Do you need a ride?" He asked.

Jongup shrugged. "I was just exploring Incheon. I've never been here before now."

"I've lived here most of my life." The man smiled. "I can give you a tour."

Jongup wondered if he should trust this man, but the way his lip rode up on his gum made him feel happy. It made him smile. A real smile. He felt his worries fade away with this man. Jongup nodded, walking over to the passenger side and getting in. He buckled in and relaxed in the heat the vents provided.

"I'm Bang Yongguk." The man introduced, driving slowly.

"Moon Jongup." Jongup responded, looking out the window at the sights.

"Do you want a general tour, or do you want to go to my favorite places?" Yongguk chuckled, turning and looking at the younger male.

"As long as I don't have to go back to the hotel, then I'm okay." Jongup sighed, not ready for Junhong's high pitched voice rambling everything they would be doing tomorrow.

Yongguk nodded, and their tour began. He showed him all of Incheon, doing both tours at once. Jongup felt better than he had in years, actually enjoying someone else's company for once. He actually enjoyed learning about Incheon. The way Yongguk spoke of the place made him want to stay forever.

"I guess I should get you back now." Yongguk said after they'd gotten to Yongguk's apartment, the last place of the tour.

Jongup frowned, not wanting to leave this man yet. "I guess."

Yongguk chuckled at the younger's obvious hatred of leaving. "Does your friend's mother have a number I could call?"

Jongup nodded. "Why?"

"I'll tell her you're staying with me." Yongguk pulled into his apartment, turning the car off and getting out. Jongup sat in shock for mere moments before he hurried out and followed the man inside. Jongup walked in slowly, shocked at the cleanliness and organization of the place. He also grinned when he noticed the stuffed animals on the sides of the couch. He walked over to them and picked up a green rabbit, smiling and rubbing it's soft fur. "I keep toys I find and donate them to the local charity." Yongguk told him, pulling out his cell phone and dialing the number Jongup gave to him.

"Hello, I'm Bang Yongguk, head of the Incheon police."

Jongup jumped with the title, almost fearing this man, but when he saw that smile, every ounce of tension was released.

"No, no, he hasn't done anything wrong." Yongguk assured her. "But he ventured a long way from the hotel and I'm worried about him in the cold, so I took him in for the night. I'll have him back in the morning."

Jongup smiled at the well-played lie from the elder. Come to think of it, everything this man has done has made him smile. His cheeks were hurting from smiling so much in so long. Once Yongguk ended the call, he motioned for Jongup to follow him, and the younger did immediately.

"You might not like it here too much." Yongguk chuckled. "My life is pretty simple, aside from the crazy calls I get being the head of police."

Jongup felt his heart race. Simple. The life he'd been craving for years.

"I don't have a lot of things to do here, and if you crave complication then my house isn't a fun place." Yongguk scratched his hair, heading into a room, Jongup right on his heels.

"No, no, simple is great." Jongup said all too excitedly. He couldn't help it. He'd been wanting a household without noise and complications for a long time.

Yongguk chuckled, sitting down on a bed. "Is there anything in particular you want to do?" He asked. Jongup shook his head, taking off his coat. Yongguk stood and took it out of his hand, putting it on the door. Jongup blushed slightly when he noticed Yongguk eyes raking down his body. His clothes weren't exactly tight, but they weren't loose either. His black t-shirt clung to his figure nicely, and his dark jeans shaped his legs.

"Y-Yongguk-ssi..." Jongup whispered. "...do you have something to eat?"

"Y-Yeah." Yongguk blushed slightly himself, leading Jongup into the kitchen. "I have a bunch of things to eat." He started listing things, making Jongup's mouth water. "But I have a lot of ramen."

"Ramen is fine." Jongup smiled.

"I never really eat mine...cooked." Yongguk chuckled.

Jongup shrugged, grabbing the package out of his hand and taking a big chunk out of the square noodles. He nodded in delight. He make a satisfied sound. "I'd never tried it that way."

Yongguk smiled at the younger. "Well is it good?"Jongup nodded quickly, soon biting another piece. Yongguk grabbed the half-eaten ramen square out of his hand. He poured his special sauce on the top, handing it pack to him. "Try it now." Jongup eagerly took another bite, a loud satisfied sound erupting from his throat.

"Ah, that's delicious!" Jongup chuckled, the escaping sauce from the corner of his mouth.

Yongguk smiled and pulled a lot of squares out of the packages and placed them on a plate. He poured the sauce all over them, walking with Jongup into the living room. Jongup excitedly grabbed for another. Yongguk the television, kicking back and relaxing, munching on a ramen square. Yongguk jumped when he looked down, realizing all of the squares were gone. He looked over at Jongup, smiling when he saw the teen's cheeks as large as two tennis balls.

Jongup saw the elder's face and mumbled an apology through the large amounts of food in his mouth. "Don't worry about it." Yongguk assured, finishing the one in his hand.

Jongup finished, a satisfied exhalation slipping his lips. "Thank you so much, Yongguk-ssi." He stood and bowed a full proper 90 degrees.

 

Yongguk shook Jongup lightly, stopping when he heard a soft groan. "Want me to take you back now?" He asked, not sure if the younger was fully awake.

"No." He heard softly.

"Your friend's mother called me asking where you were." Yongguk chuckled.

"Don't make me leave." Jongup mumbled, snuggling into the bed. Yongguk sighed, realizing he wasn't even awake.

"Do you want to stay here with me, then? While they go back to Seoul?" Yongguk asked jokingly.

"Yes." Jongup mumbled.

"I don't think she'll let you." Yongguk smiled, rubbing his shoulder lightly.

"Please...?" Jongup's voice grew even quieter.

"I don't think it's that simple..." Yongguk rubbed his forehead.

"Isn't it?" Jongup whispered, falling back completely into the abyss of sleep.

THE END.