Snowflakes

Drabbles

I hated my older sister, but at the same time, I guess I didn't. Every winter she went with her husband off to Australia because she hated the cold. She would do anything to avoid the cold. But, she hated taking her baby boy with her. So guess what? She left him with me. He was the cutest thing, though, despite him being a baby. His real name was Choi Junhong, but I was never fond of the name. He was too adventurous, too brave, and too cute to have that name. So I called him Zelo, and the more winters that came, the more he grew on me. Like right now, I was holding him in my arms, sitting on a bench, watching the snow fall from the clouds on our clothes.

He was giggling and trying to catch the snowflakes, his small lips open wide and he would try to eat them. This kid loved eating. But I knew what he loved the best. Cherry tomatoes. I had one in my hand, but he wouldn't eat it. He was too busy with these falling, white orbs. I loved the snow, actually. I loved how not one snowflake was the same. They were all different, and each had its special place on the ground to crystallize. They all played their part in making winter beautiful. I jumped when he sneezed, but simply chuckled and wiped his nose with my thumb. He just smiled up at me, then suddenly stared intently. I just looked down in his wide, shining brown eyes, glad I got to watch him every winter. I wasn't quite ready for children yet, and neither was my girlfriend Jieun, so this was a good chance for me to start learning.

His hand came up and he placed it on my cheek, pressing a falling snowflake against my skin, in an attempt to catch it. It was unsuccessful, and he just made it melt and disappear. He frowned and did it on the other side, frowning more when that snowflake melted as well. “You can't catch snow, Zelo-ah.” I chuckled, pulling the blanket around him tighter. I saw tears in his eyes and I just pulled him closer and kissed his forehead. “I'll catch snow for you someday, okay?” He giggled and held onto my scarf, making me jump again when he sneezed.


 

THE END.