Day 28: Doing Something Ridiculous

30 Day OTP Challenge

Luhan laughs as Sehun drags him away from the turf and towards the track of the stadium, facing the seats crowded with people to see the Idol Sports Championship. The sun is shining hot on their heads, burning Luhan’s dark hair but only warming Sehun’s lighter shade of brown. Music comes from one end of the stadium as the production team organizes a dance contest on the small stage they have, so Luhan and Sehun sway to the music as they meander over to the stands.

“What are we doing?” Luhan asks when they reach the stands.

“Fanservice, hyung.” Sehun waves at the fans, one arm reaching around Luhan’s back to pin the older boy to his side. “We can’t let Baekyeol surpass us as EXO’s most popular pairing.”

“Please. We have the title in the bag,” Luhan scoffs, waving at the fans too. “Just listen to them scream.”

And screaming they are, with one hand fanning themselves with rolled up newspapers and with the other filming the proceedings on camcorders and smartphones. Most of the screams are unintelligible, the words too blurred to make out, but from certain sections of the stands organized chants come.

“Are they chanting ‘Hunhan’?” Luhan asks after a moment of hesitation and listening closely.

Sehun pauses from waving and smiling to listen as well, then he turns and grins at Luhan. “Sure are, hyung.”

However at that moment Chanyeol returns from his bathroom break and Baekhyun runs up to meet him. A ragged cheer comes up from the fans and Sehun’s face almost breaks into a scowl.

“Competition,” he whispers in Luhan’s ear, a determined undertone to his words. He takes Luhan’s arm and tries to form half of a heart with it so they can throw hearts together, but the mechanics of it seem to elude him.

Luhan sighs to himself and thinks this is completely ridiculous, but the look on Sehun’s face makes him grin in spite of himself, and he helps Sehun form the heart. The fans that switched to chanting ‘Baekyeol’ have switched back to ‘Hunhan’ and Luhan is absurdly pleased at this. Then it is his turn to almost break into a scowl, because the fans scream, and he knows it’s not for him and Sehun. He turns his head in the others’ direction and sees that Baekhyun is perched precariously on Chanyeol’s back in a kind of piggy back and they are making a victory lap around the few idols standing around them.

Luhan takes one look at Sehun’s skinny frame, too heavy for Luhan to carry but too small to carry Luhan itself, and decides that there’s no way they’ll top Baekyeol’s stunt. He is resigned to this fate when a familiar whistling, smooth and quirky, flows from the speakers and he begins tapping his foot to the beat of “Troublemaker”.

Hyung,” Sehun says suddenly. “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

Luhan doesn’t know what Sehun is thinking, but when the first verse begins in Hyunseung’s voice and Sehun starts shaking his hips Luhan catches on fast enough. Sehun takes Hyuna’s part, moving his hips in a smooth wave against Luhan’s. Luhan doesn’t know the dance very well and neither does Sehun but they improvise, grinning at each other as they prance around, moving their bodies to the beat of the song. They barely notice the fans’ screams, but continue to dance, mouthing the words absentmindedly. The beat pounds in their stomachs and all they can think about is the way the other looks pressed so close and tight or so far away, just out of reach. Their exhaustion from the all day event is gone and replaced with a giddy lightness that empowers their springing steps and their confidence as they grind against each other, one of Sehun’s hands coyly running down the crease of his thighs.

The chorus comes on, the synths strong underneath the lyrics, and Luhan winks imperceptibly at the crowd before running his mouth along Sehun’s arm and up to the younger boy’s face, turning away just in time and dancing away as the chorus recedes.

In the next moments all either of them can think is this is ridiculous, but it’s not really, not when they’re doing it with each other. They come up with moves on the spot where they don’t remember the real ones, pausing every so often to shake their heads at the crowd, and it’s fun, a welcome break from the tightly choreographed routines and tightly produced shows they usually do. As the song ends Sehun beckons Luhan forward with one finger and they lean close, the angle of their heads blocking their grinning faces from view.

It’s ridiculous, but they like it. And more importantly, Hunhan will never be challenged again.