Day 27: On One of their Birthdays

30 Day OTP Challenge

For Luhan’s birthday Sehun has a rare of genius and takes them to one of those restaurants whose walls are plastered with sports pendants and framed photos of Little League teams. They bring Chanyeol and Baekhyun with them to avoid glares from the small town’s homophobic populace, because no one in their right minds would expect such a dynamic duo to be going strong for three years.

While Luhan is parking the car they all ask the manager for a birthday song and dessert for him, glancing over their shoulders every so often because Luhan explicitly warned them against doing so. Then he walks inside and they are seated, jean-clad butts sliding against the slick material of the booth seats. They order some appetizers and things, but their attention is soon occupied with poking fun at the hostess, the family at a table opposite them, the fat man struggling out of the car outside. When that source of amusement is occupied, they turn to making spiders out of straw and sand sculptures out of salt and pepper, generally killing the time it takes for their food to get to their table.

“I’m glad there didn’t seem to be any trouble with the whole drawing attention to my birthday thing,” Luhan comments offhandedly as he tops Baekhyun’s extremely abstract mound of salt with a squirt of ketchup.

The others agree quickly, and Luhan seems pleased with himself until the food arrives, at which point he becomes occupied with claiming the ‘birthday boy’s share’ of everything. The entire meal passes this way until after they all finish eating, and Sehun discreetly signals the manager while Luhan is stacking the dishes in a neat pile at the center of the table, distracted by Chanyeol’s elaborate description of his day at work.

“I don’t know what I’ve been told!” comes the chanting from the center of the restaurant. Luhan pales visibly and glares at each of the others in turn.

“You didn’t,” he states flatly.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun shrug, and Sehun pokes Luhan in the stomach with his elbow as if to say lighten up. Luhan doesn’t respond.

“Happy birthday, Luhan!”

The waiters plop a rapidly melting ice cream brownie onto the table and disperse into the restaurant as quickly as they can to avoid Luhan’s death glare. When the last of them has retreated Luhan smiles at his friends, then pulls the brownie towards himself and proceeds to eat the whole thing.

“You can sleep on the couch tonight, Sehun!” he announces, signaling for the check.