Day 25: Gazing into each other's Eyes

30 Day OTP Challenge

Luhan has the prettiest eyes, Sehun decides during Spanish, when he should be copying irregular past participle forms. They’re really dark and wet, framed with thick eyelashes and looking as if they are the vulnerability by which Luhan’s heart can be conquered. Sehun’s never exactly gotten close enough, but he can imagine how they look when focused on Sehun’s own eyes, each lazy blink gently disturbing the sheen of almost-tears in which the irises, so dark they cannot be distinguished from the pupils, swim.

It’s at this time that Luhan looks his best, Sehun decides. It’s the brooding, silent time, when he’s chewing on the end of his pen and sighing softly, glancing every so often at the clock, that far surpasses the laughing times, eyes wide with mirth, and the talking times, eyes blinking rapidly through the thoughts running in their owner’s mind. It’s this time that makes Sehun fall in love, with the slightest brush of eyelashes against cheekbones, with the bangs sometimes falling low over eyebrows sometimes curly with the heat, with the pronounced collar bones creating a perfect space for loving fingers as Luhan leans forward in his seat.

The bell rings and everyone is out of their seats, slinging messenger bags and drawstring freebies over their shoulders. Sehun thoughtfully turns a page in his notebook, glances at the blank other side, before snapping the whole thing shut and casually sticking it into his backpack. He’s one of the last out of the classroom, because he knows the longer he stays the more he gets to hear of Luhan’s voice sliding musical through the chaotic wavelengths of the end of the day, the more he gets to taste of Luhan’s cologne mixed with shampoo and detergent as the older boy asks the teacher a question.

But today is not like that. Luhan runs out of questions for once to ask the teacher, a smiling old woman who has a weak spot for the Southern hospitality, fifties era politeness that Luhan oozes out as easily as carbon dioxide. Instead he only gives her a warm smile and follows Sehun, who is a bit puzzled, out the door.

“Hey,” Luhan says, falling into step with Sehun, who stumbles at his voice this close, his warmth right here, Luhan is real and to him I am too.

“Hey,” Sehun croaks.

...

Luhan rubs the back of his head, glancing nervously over at Sehun every few seconds to make sure the younger boy hasn’t wandered off. He’s been summoning the courage for this for a long time now, but every time he started chatting with old Mrs. White he would get distracted and push it back another few seconds and then Sehun would be strolling down the hall, too far away for Luhan to catch in time. Today, though, he forwent Mrs. White and headed straight out the door after Sehun, after a full period of doing nothing but peeking at those intoxicatingly dark chinks Sehun deems to call eyes.

Sehun has the prettiest eyes, Luhan decides then. They’re dark and lidded, curving into crescent moons when he laughs and distant and untouchable even when he’s only sitting, thinking whatever thoughts he thinks. Luhan always rips through his quizzes and tests, deciding not to check his answers to steal a few extra seconds of Sehun’s eyes as he lazily scratches out his answers, tongue running thoughtfully over his white teeth. At that moment, deep in thought, they are the most beautiful, lost in their own world, shielded from the crueler reality outside. Even now, Luhan notices, Sehun’s eyes retain some of that distance, forever existing halfway in another place.

“Um,” Sehun states suddenly, without any of the drawn out quality or hesitation the syllable is usually associated with.

Luhan realizes he never replied to Sehun’s hey, despite having initiated the conversation.

“Um,” he replies.

“Um?” Sehun asks.

Luhan mentally facepalms. Oh God this was not how I pictured this.

“Um...” Luhan begins, slowly and then rushed so each word clings to the last, never wanting to let go. “I was thinking. Last night. Well, a lot of nights, actually. Um. I realize you might not even be interested, but you’ve never really shown any interest before, so I thought it would be cool. Um. I don’t really know you, but we’re in a couple of classes together and one time we worked on that English project together. With four other people, but still together. Um. I really like you. Want to go out?”

Sehun stops in his tracks, the expression on his face clearly proclaiming that such a thought has never entered his head before. Luhan cringes and looks down.

“Um. I mean--”

“Sure.”

Luhan didn’t exactly plan this far, so he just stands there, blinking rapidly as he tries to think of something to say.

“Um,” is all he can come up with.



Luckily, Luhan recovers his senses after an extended period of silence and blinking, and they exchange numbers. Sehun can’t believe his luck, so he’s too busy thinking about it and is late to his next class. For his part, Luhan forgets where his next class is and redoubles to his locker to check his schedule.

Their first date is sprinkled liberally with ums, but when the ice is broken Sehun realizes that Luhan looks wonderful shyly, furtively sending glances at him during Monsters, Inc, better even than brooding. Luhan realizes that Sehun isn’t half so ditzy as his behavior in school suggests, but rather double so ditzy. They immediately schedule next Friday night, and count down the milliseconds to it, and before they know it every Friday night is taken, and Saturday, and Sunday. They can’t get enough of each other, so during Spanish conjugations are severely neglected, and after Spanish Mrs. White even more so.

It doesn’t matter. They’re young and in love, the very act of loving almost as delightful to them as the person being loved. Forty minutes of Spanish is nowhere enough to tide them over until their next class together, three periods later, even when they spend it starry-eyed and wistful, chins resting in cupped fingers as they lose themselves in each other’s eyes.

 

A/N: Oh God. I got carried away again, didn't I? XD