Slim chance that turns into nothing

Essence of Loving

 

Chapter IV: Slim chance that turns into nothing

 

Boa stood inside the airport after two days passed by so quickly. She’s waiting for Yunho to arrive while fidgeting her fingers because of nervousness. After a few minutes, he finally showed up and Boa was stunned upon seeing him.

 

He waved his hand in front of her eyes as she was startled, seeing him so close. He chuckled while she hit his arm. “You’re so mean Yunho” She whined and the next thing he did was to kiss her cheek and it took her by surprise.

 

“I’m home” He spoke as he held hands with her while she smiled warmly “Welcome back” and both started to walk outside.

 

“Did you miss me?” He asked with a serious face while they were inside the car, going home. Boa looked at him for a while and he was waiting. “Bear, I’m asking you~”

 

“Why suddenly ask that?” She answered him with a question and it earned a pout from him. “Nevermind” He shook his head in defeat and looked straight on the road as he crossed his arms.

 

“Oh, by the way, Ma cooked your favorite dish” She said but he ignored her. “You’re being sulky” He stayed quiet and she rolled her eyes. This guy never changed at all, she thought.

 

“I miss you” She spoke and he instantly turned to her, smiling widely and she saw it coming. But his expression turned suspicious. “Really? No lying? You do miss me, right?”

 

“I do” She replied and his smile was back. He held her hand and rested his head on her shoulder, closing his eyes while uttering in a tiny voice “Save that for our wedding”

 

“Did you say something?” She nudged him, wanting him to repeat since she didn’t quite get what he said but he only shrugged in return.

 

*

 

Both of them arrived shortly at the house and Yunho was greeted by the blooming flowers in the shop and a hug from Boa’s mom. He and her mom talked about certain things during dinner while Boa stayed quiet most of the time. The thought about Jaejoong came to mind whenever she took glances at her boyfriend and it hurts her deeply.

 

She went to the veranda after she finished cleaning the dishes but the thought still won’t leave her. She looked at the dark sky and wished on a star. “Let me forget you” She spoke in a low voice and her heart pounded hard when she felt Yunho, wrapping his arms around her waist, giving her a tight hug. He rested his chin on her shoulder and Boa touched his cheek, hoping he didn’t hear what she just said earlier, and asked what’s wrong.

 

“Nothing. I just missed you” He replied and his breath tickled her ear, making her blush.

 

“You need some rest. Why don’t you go to sleep now?” She suggested since she knew he’s tired from the flight but he refused.

 

“It’s my friend’s birthday tomorrow. Do you want to come with me?” He invited her but she declined. “I can’t. I have deliveries for the whole week. Sorry Yun. Maybe next time?”

 

“That’s too bad then. He and his fiancée will be leaving next week but we can still meet them when we go to Korea” Boa tensed up a bit, hearing the last word and Yunho felt it. “Are you okay? Is there something wrong?” He turned her around as both can see face to face.

 

“I-I’m fine. It’s nothing really” She faked a smile but he’s still worried. “Look at the time, we better go to bed” Boa pulled away from his grasp and went upstairs to her room while Yunho went in to the guest’s room, wondering if something’s bothering her.

 

*

 

Morning came and when Boa went to the dining room, she only saw her mom, just finished eating breakfast. “Ma, did you see Yunho?”

 

“He left early. He said you didn’t want to come” Her mom answered as she stood up and placed the plates in the sink.

 

“Oh, about that…I got duties and…” Boa explained and her mom faced her. “Boa…don’t push yourself too much, give yourself a break, alright?”

 

“I’ll try” She replied and went in the boutique. She cleaned the place first before opening and placed several kinds of flowers in front.

 

About half an hour, the door opened and Boa greeted her first customer as usual. “Good morning miss, how can I help you?”

 

“May I know where Liyin is?” The lady asked and Boa was a bit surprised for unknown reason.

 

“I’m sorry but Liyin is still not here” Boa said and the other girl nodded understandingly but then her head perked up when she realized something. “Aren’t you the unni in the car that Liyin called the other day?”

 

“Uhm, I guess?” Boa said, a bit unsure and the lady smiled widely. “Oh! Hi! Hi! I’m Hyo Joo, nice to meet you!” She reached Boa’s hand and shook it enthusiastically while Boa was amused.

 

“Nice to meet you too. I’m Boa. If you’re waiting for Liyin, I suggest you come later since she usually comes at ten in the morning” Boa told her but Hyo Joo waved her hands.

 

“No no no…actually the reason why I’m looking for her is because I need to buy the bouquet my fiancé bought for me two days ago here, and I want to buy it again but I’m not sure about the design, and I don’t think you know it since you’re not here when we came before, and Liyin possibly remember it?” Hyo Joo told the story and Boa laughed.

 

“Then it must be your lucky day” Boa said and placed the album with patterns of bouquets on the counter. “I’m the one in charge of it”

 

“Oh really?” Hyo Joo was relieved and flipped the pages then pointed the design she was looking for. “Here it is”

 

*

 

The owner was busy arranging the flowers for the bouquet while the customer was wandering around the room. Boa took a glimpse at Hyo Joo and her eyes widen when she saw her holding the glass bear. She quickly snatched it away and held it tightly.

 

“I’m sorry. I’m really sorry” Hyo Joo was surprised and bowed apologetically. “I’m just curious since my fiancé was looking at that when we went here the first time”

 

“Sorry” Boa said while holding securely the bear and Hyo Joo looked at her. “It’s just that this is really important to me” She put it back and went to the counter to continue what she’s doing.

 

The door opened and Yeonhee entered the shop, greeting Boa and the customer. “Unni, Liyin won’t be able to come. She’s a babysitter today” She picked up her apron and put it on her.

 

“I see. Hey Yeon, can you deliver that bouquet to Mr. Yoshioka? Here’s the address” Boa pointed the flower on the table and gave the paper where the address was written.

 

“See you later unni” The youngest said and held the bouquet in her arms. “Thanks for coming” She bowed to Hyo Joo then went out.

 

Hyo Joo sat on the chair near the counter while Boa was finishing what she requested. “Hey Boa, this just came out of the blue, but why did you go here in Japan?” She started the conversation and Boa paused for a second.

 

“To start a new life, I guess? How about you?” Boa said seriously but she felt broken inside.

 

“Well, my hun and I are just having a vacation here but we’re going back to Korea four days from now. Actually, it’s his birthday today and he’s going to meet his best bud somewhere. I thought we can go on a date. I guess not” Hyo Joo sighed and Boa remembered what Yunho told her last night but shrugged the thought off.

 

“Cheer up, there’s still plenty of time” Boa gave her a smile and encouraged her as she gave the bouquet. “My treat”

 

“Thank you. I’m really happy I met you” Hyo Joo bowed as Boa did the same. With that, Hyo Joo went out of the shop and Boa continued her work but as minutes passed, something kept on bugging her and its getting worst.

 

She went upstairs and searched for her phone. She found it and looked at the calendar application. She was shocked when her hunch was right. It’s also Jaejoong’s birthday today. “This can’t be…don’t tell me” She remembered what Yunho and Hyo Joo told her and it made her think that there’s something similar about the two. She became anxious and decides to give Yunho a call.

 

“Where are you now?” She asked and the instant he told her the place, she hung up and ran where he is. She looked for Yunho from the outside and luckily spotted him, talking with a guy whose back was facing her. She gulped hard as she entered the restaurant, asking herself if she’s ready to face him after all the things she said half a decade ago. She was so focused looking at the guy that she accidentally bumped into someone. Both said sorry but didn’t face each other.

 

She walked a bit closer, looking at the man her boyfriend was talking to and soon sighed in relief when she saw clearly his face. “He’s not him” She quickly walked away when the man she’s looking at noticed her and Yunho was about to turn at her direction. She bumped again with someone as she was exiting the shop and apologized while running away from the place.

 

Jaejoong returned to where Yunho and his other friend are and said he will be leaving. “Sorry guys, I’m going on a date”

 

The other two looked at each other then back at the birthday boy. “With your fiancée or with another girl?” Yunho and high five their other friend.

 

“As if Yunho. I love her, okay” He bid them goodbye, went to his car and drove off.

 

He was near the place Hyo Joo told him to come but parked the car at the side of the road when he suddenly realized something. “It can’t be” He made a U-turn and rushed back to the restaurant. He scanned the inside and ran all over outside but to no avail, she’s nowhere in sight.

 

He slammed his car door because of frustration. She was so near at that time but why didn’t he notice her? And now he hates himself for that reason. He was quite sure that the woman he bumped into at the entrance was Boa. The scent, her scent proved it. It was still the same.

 

He went in the car when he received a message from his fiancée, asking where he is. He gripped on the stirring wheel tightly, looking devastated. “Why? Why are you doing this to me?” And for the first time for over two years already…he cried.

 

“Boa Kwon, where are you?”