Independence (Kyuna)

Oneshot Series

It was a quiet, usual day. At least, people thought it was. Im Yoona groaned, putting her hand up and trying to reach one of the CDs on the top shelf. She was currently at a music store, wanting to buy a copy of Lee Seunggi’s new album. Of course, if she could reach it that is. Although Yoona was tall in her own way, it was still pretty much impossible to reach it.

“Why do they make the shelves so high?” Yoona grumbled to herself, pouting slightly. She looked around at the others around her. There were 2 men who were busy looking for some music in the other isle and a middle-aged woman in the other. There was also the man who owned the store and was simply listening to music.

Yoona bit her lip, looking back up and trying to reach the disk once again. She couldn’t ask anyone for help. She didn’t know how to. Yoona was the reincarnation of independence. She never had help. Yoona never asked for it, nor did she ever think she needed it. She could do things for herself, she didn’t need assistance. Or, at least, that’s what Yoona thought.

It wasn’t her fault that she thought this way, it was how she was raised. Yoona survived using her independence. Without it, Yoona wouldn’t have gotten through anything. She remembered how as a child, she would watch the other girls. How envious it was, their mothers walking them to school, making their lunch, brushing their hair and holding hands. Yoona cringed at the memory of seeing it, thinking back about how badly she herself wanted the experience. A mother.

Unlike those ignorantly blessed girls, Yoona was not as lucky as them. Yes, she had an older sister, but what change was there? Both girls struggled without someone there to take care of them. No one to walk them to school except each other, no one to make them their lunch, no one to their hair and no one to hold their hands. Of course, they had a father, but it wasn’t the same as a mother. In the end, Yoona decided to stop talking about her family to others who weren’t close to her.

People began to judge her for not having a mother, for having an ‘incomplete’ family. That was probably the reason why Yoona grew up with such independence. She wanted to prove people wrong, she wanted to prove that she could grow up as a perfectly normal child even without a mother.

Stuck in her own thoughts, Yoona continued attempting to reach the CD, only to slip on a DVD cover which was lying just under her feet. Yoona let out a light squeal, squinting her eyes and waiting for the impact. After a couple seconds, her eyes widened. She didn’t fall, not onto the floor anyway. Instead, Yoona fell into a pair of arms which lovingly held her. Who was it?

"...You realise that there are people who are willing to help, right?"

After hearing the voice, she smiled. It was Cho Kyuhyun, the owner of the Music Store. He was always there when she needed it, even though she wouldn’t utter a word. Yoona froze for a second after remembering Kyuhyun’s words. Her entire life was created out of her own independence. Having no mother, a working father and just an older sister, Yoona learned to do things by herself. Sometimes she forgot there were things she couldn't do by herself, she forgot that there were times which she did need help. Not that Yoona ever enjoyed admitting it of course. She looked up at Kyuhyun, the owner of the store who she loved to spend time with. Then, a smile appeared on Yoona's face as she rolled her eyes.

"I was going to call you, idiot." Yoona muttered with a smile, Kyuhyun letting her go. Kyuhyun put his hand up, taking hold of the disk without any trouble.

“So, you want to buy this?” Kyuhyun questioned with a somewhat smug look, just his slight, usual smile. Yoona nodded with a grin.

“Of course I do. That’s why I was trying to reach it.” Yoona replied, the pair beginning to walk to the counter.

“Come on.” Kyuhyun spoke simply. As he began to scan the item, Yoona raised a brow.

“How did you know I was trying to reach that CD?” Yoona asked, Kyuhyun chuckled quietly.

“I’ve been watching you jump up and down for about 30 minutes already, I was waiting to see if you were going to ask me for help.” Kyuhyun replied, Yoona scowled slightly and pouted.

“I was never going to have asked.” Yoona spoke quietly, Kyuhyun gave a gentle smile.

“I know.” Kyuhyun replied, Yoona felt her body relax from its somewhat tense state. Kyuhyun always knew.

As Yoona collected her item, gave her money and walked to the door, Kyuhyun grabbed her shoulder. Yoona turned back only to see Kyuhyun giving her a slight smirk, take a hold of the doorhandle and open the door for her. She raised a brow.

“What are you doing?” Yoona questioned, Kyuhyun smiled at her.

“Since you’re never going to ask for help, I’m going to help you even when you don’t need it.”

---------------------------------

Full version of my Kyuna drabble... What do you think?~ ^^