Chapter 52

If That's What You Want

HYUKJAE

 

It was raining today. Ironic. Seems like even the sky can sense my emotions now; since when did I start being poetic?

 

The sound of the cars getting through the rush hour can be slightly heard from the small opening of the window; a bit of chilly air going inside this office, slightly brushing my face as the man tried to lay down papers in front of the desk. But I haven't really paid much attention; that's why my parents are here for. They can tell me the details later. All I want to do now is go home and lay down on the sheets that are slowly losing Donghae's scent.

 

Donghae.

 

My fists cleched; and that all too familiar aching on my chest became more pronounced. I am starting to get used to this feeling; this feeling of suddenly having a difficulty to breathe, and the tears that are threatening to fall from my eyes but I stubbornly held in. It is becoming a norm for me, even if it's just been a week after he left me. I tightly closed my eyes.

 

Home. I want to go home.

 

"Mr. Hyukjae would just have to sign here for us to process the divorce papers."

 

What.

 

"I am not signing anything," I said while locking eyes with this man; our family lawyer.

 

"Mr. Hyuk---"

 

"I am not. Signing." I repeated carefully, making sure that I am getting the message across.

 

"Darling," my mother spoke, hand touching my arm and giving it a gentle squeeze. "Donghae already signed the papers."

 

Hearing this, I gave my mother an incredulous look before grabbing the stack of papers, eyes directly looking at the sign which fell under Donghae's name. So, he really did sign. Huh. Shrugging, I threw the folder back on the table and stood up. "It doesn't matter. I am still not signing."

 

"Lee Hyukjae, get back here," my father commanded. "Stop being selfish and just sign."

 

"Selfish?" I scoffed, before turning back to face them, "So I am the bad guy now? He left me, dad. With nothing but a recording. No reasons. No arguments. He just up and left. If he thinks he can get out of this marriage just because he wanted to, then he is sorely mistaken. A divorce needs both party to sign. And I am not signing. So he's not getting out of this marriage until I say so," I ended and walked out of the office.

 

As I reached a secluded hall, I allowed myself to slump on the wool and loose my tie. Running a hand on my face, trying to will the tears at bay, I muttered, "Do you want to be away from me that much?"

 

Then I reached in my shirt and pulled out a silver necklace, with a wedding ring that pairs with the one I am wearing dangling.

 

*

 

In the few weeks that passed; there are a total of 267 missed calls, 523 unread messages, 153 emails and a total of 13 of people trying to barge inside my house. I know that shutting myself out of the world, distancing myself from my family and friends is not the wisest thing to do; but it is my way of coping. My way of trying to cope to the fact that I am waking up to an empty space beside me; or the missing that homecooked meals I have been used to have; or the hugs and kisses...

 

Tryin to cope to the fact that Donghae is not with me.

 

I was looking out the window, with my earphones on playing Donghae's recording for the umpteenth time. The words are embedded in my head already, but hearing it still brought that unfathomable sting on me chest. Then a black Range Rover stopped in front of the house, and out goes the person I least wanted to see. And a few seconds later the sound of someone banging the door echoed, so as the shouts that followed.

 

"Get out here, Lee Hyukjae!"

 

"How can you not answer my calls and texts?"

 

"I am worried, please! Talk to me, Eunhyuk!"

 

"I demand you get out now! All this shoutings will do harm for the baby and you are responsible for this!"

 

With that, I found myself dashing down the stairs and throwing the door open, fixating my glare on the woman that kept on spouting non sense.

 

"Hyuk---"

 

"You are not my girlfriend anymore, Ji Eun. Leave me, the . Alone."

 

Her hands clutched my arm that was keeping the door wide open, and said "No. Hyuk, you can't do this to me...I'm pregnant. It's yours...we're having a child, Hyuk...we can start being a family..."

 

Rage started pumping out my veins as I hardened my gaze on her, watching in satisfaction as I saw her flinch. "Whoever knocked you up, Ji Eun, it is not me. If you insist on me being the father of the child you are bearing, come back here after getting me a DNA test, showing that that is indeed my child. If the test is positive, then fine, I will take responsibility."

 

Her expression started to brighten.

 

"But no wedding will be held. I will pay for everything the child needs; or even have a shared custody but you will never get to call to call me a husband; or be a part of my family. And if the test is negative, I will sue you, your family and I will make sure that your family business will fall with you. You know what my name, and my company is capable of, Ji Eun, and if you ever fabricate the DNA results, I will make sure you can never step foot in this country as long as I am here." I shrugged her off. "Until then, I want you to leave and never appear infront of me again."

 

"Hyuk---you cant do this. I love you, please...doesn't our past mean anything to you?"

 

"I thought it meant something," I told her honestly, my voice getting gentle, "but then I found someone I cant live without. And that's not you. I am sorry," and with that I closed the door and slumped down the floor.

 

______________________________________________

 

This story will end pretty soon.

Hang in there, folks. Sorry for not updating for a long time. :)