Kwon Jiyong

Thorn

 

 

The first thing that came out from my mouth when I first saw her was, “She’s hot!”

She was sweating a little, and looked lost. I heard she asked for some direction from the cafe’s cashier, then she picked up her drink and she sat across from me. I could see her face clearly, and she was not just hot, she was beautiful.

 

I saw her often at the cafe after that evening. The cafe must had been her new favourite place, she always there with her friends. But I never saw her with a guy though. I wonder if she was single, but I never got the chance to ask. I, otherwise, always came to the cafe with a girl.

 

I received a call from Seunghyun one day, “Yah imma! Let’s celebrate, we’re now with jobs!”

He sounded excited, and I knew he was thinking about hitting some bar, maybe playing a round of pool while drinking some beers. But I asked to meet at the cafe.

“Let’s have coffee, like adults.” I reasoned.

“Eh? Coffee? Really? Why?”

“Just because.”

I wanted to see her again.

 

She came with her friends. I heard Seunghyun holding his breath at the sight of her, and from his look, I knew he was hooked. Now, I had known Seunghyun all my life and he was not the type of guy that fell easily to any girl he saw. His track list of relationships only consisted of two girls, Yoobin, the one he dated during our senior year of high school and lasted only for two months, and Minyoung, the one he dated during our second year in college. He went out with her only twice, and according to him, she was not worth a third date. So knowing he showed signs of interest for a girl thrilled me, but it was her, the girl I was looking forward to. As much as I love Seunghyun, I had no intention to share my cafe girl with him.

 

I had to take the first move. I went to her, flashing my smile along the way. I knew my smile could win anybody, and I was determined to win her. Seunghyun on other hand, stayed at his seat, watching me in action. I had done this million times, so this, I thought, should be easy.

 

But Hani was a little complicated. I sensed that she had a slight interest with Seunghyun, not me. My original plan was I would get to know her, we would go out on dates, we would spend the nights making love, and when I was tired of her, I would let her go. That was always the drill. But since now I had Seunghyun in the picture, I decided to let Hani went to him after I finished with her. See, I was a great friend after all.

 

The three of us started to hangout together. I knew Seunghyun was boiling inside each time we met, he almost spoke no word. Patience, Seunghyun. Your time will come.

 

Then Hani and I went for our first date. I was shocked that she accepted my request since I always sensed the attraction between Hani and Seunghyun. The first date turned to second, and then the third, and before I knew it, we officially became a couple. I, without my conscious, had fallen in love with Hani. And I – I’m sorry Seunghyun – intended to keep her mine forever.