Lee Hani

Thorn

 

I finally did what I should have done the moment I was entangled with Seunghyun.

 

I disappeared.

 

Not literally, though. Well, I moved out from Jiyong’s, I quitted my job, and I went back to my hometown. I lived aimlessly for a year, I then managed to grab a spot as a social worker at a community service centre. Even though the job was out of my speciality, but it was worth it. Working with the less fortunates and the ones in need brought peace in my heart and mind. At least, I wouldn’t be spending my time thinking about Jiyong.

 

I was in the cafe right now. It had been three years since I set foot in here, and a lot had changed. The homey atmosphere was still there, but it seemed like the cafe had evolved into a spunkier version of its old self. There was even a board hanging on the wall full of post-its now, written by the customers, expressing their joy, sorrow, love and heartbreaks.

 

I was here for one reason. I took a cab and two buses just to get here because it was Jiyong’s birthday today. No, I was not going to celebrate with him, I had lost contact with him since, well, our breakup. It was just an act at the spur of time, I felt I wanted to be here, reminiscing our memory together.

 

I hadn’t forgotten about Jiyong. I love him, I had promised him that I would love him forever, and it seemed like I was bounded with that promise. Even after three years my heart refused to let him go. I didn’t know where he was right now, I wished I did, but wherever he was, I hoped he was happy. I genuinely hoped he was happy even if he was with another person but me.

 

Since I was in the town, I thought of visiting my old campus too. I wrote a message on a post-it, stuck it in the middle of other post-its on the board, and I went my way to the campus. It felt great to be there, the campus was busy with students like it would ever be, and I somehow felt young again. It was already dark when I decided to go home.

 

I was waiting for the bus when I felt somebody was approaching me. I was alone and the bus stand was initially empty. Please, don’t let this man be a hoodlum.

 

“Hey, how are you?”

That voice. That scent. It couldn’t be him, could it?

“Ji... Jiyong?”

Jiyong was standing there, smiling at me.

“May I have a sit?”

I couldn’t say anything, I couldn’t move a muscle. I was too shocked and too overwhelmed by his presence.

“Or I may remain standing.”

“No, please, have a sit!”

I was sure he detected the nervousness in my voice because he let out a chuckle, before he placed himself beside me.

 

“How are you, Hani?”

He was still smiling, but he had his eyes looking to the front, away from me.

“I am okay.”

I managed to answer, but my answer sounded uncertain even to my ears.

“Are you not going to ask me how am I?”

He now was looking at me, and again I felt my voice stuck in my throat.

“I am okay too, Hani.”

But I saw sadness in his eyes.

 

It was awkward, sitting here with him after all these years. Our breakup was full of drama, and with him sitting beside me right now, I was brought back to the feelings I felt when we were together. Love, guilt, regret and hate.

 

“I’m sorry.” I didn’t know what else to say to him. “What I did to you, Jiyong, was beyond forgiveness. But I am sorry.”

He let out a sigh, but the smile never faded from his face. He was trying to make the situation less uncomfortable, I guessed.

“You can stop apologising, Hani. You had given enough.” He said.

“But I really--”

“Seriously, Hani, really, stop.” He smiled assuringly. “And Seunghyun had told me everything.”

 

It got awkward again at the mention of Seunghyun.

“He told me everything, Hani, and he blames it all to himself. He, too, is apologetic to you.”

What could I say to this?

 

“He’s getting help, you know, for his obsession.” Obsession. That was what I called him before I left him. “And I hope he’ll get better. He is still my friend, after all.”

That shocked me, and I was sure that it was clearly shown on my face. How could you still be friends with somebody who betrayed you like that?

“Hey, don’t be so shock, you know that I am a good person.”

He was laughing vaguely, but I couldn’t agree more with him. Jiyong was truly good at heart. He treated me like a rose, and I paid him back with my thorns, pricking him deep in his heart.

 

“So, since you didn’t get me any present, you should buy me dinner, right?”

“What?”

“A dinner. You didn’t come here all the way just to go home like that, do you? I mean, I know you come here for my birthday.”

How did he know about that?

 

Jiyong stood up, facing me. He held his right hand up, and on his palm there was a post-it. My post-it.

 

 

                                Jiyong,

                                                Happy Birthday.

                                                I’ll always pray for your happiness.

                                                                                                                From, your Love.

                                                                                                                18 Aug 20XX.

 

 

“I’m kind of starving. So, are you coming?”

He was already moving, walking backwards away from me, smiling invitingly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Yes, I’m coming, Jiyong.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

THE END

 


 

 

I'm finished! :)

What do you think about the story? Haha!

I hope it wasn't too confusing with the changing POVs.

I'm sorry I turned Seunghyun into a bad person, and I'm sorry with the vulgar words I used. Please don't hate me!

Thank you for all my readers, and thank you for the comments.

Love you all <3

^^

 

xoxo,

30 march 2011