Lee Hani

Thorn

 

 

You could always tell somebody was looking at you even if you were in a room full of people. They called it women intuition or something like that. Well, that was what I felt when I walked in the cafe two years ago. I felt like someone was staring at me, it felt like I was the center of attention, while I just merely opened the cafe’s door, ready to find an empty table for my group of friends. And then I saw that piercing eyes.

 

He was with his friend, a somewhat familiar face I had seen a couple of times at this cafe before. My friends and I accidentally find the cafe while we were looking around for a banner maker. It was a small cafe, and the atmosphere there felt like home. It was rather close to our campus, the drinks were cheap, so it was a perfect hangout place for students like us.

 

He was still looking at me from time to time, and he would immediately turn his gaze away when he realised I was looking back. He was embarrassed that he got caught perhaps, but I didn’t feel uncomfortable at all. I was rather an outgoing person, so I liked the attention. And he didn’t seem like a strange person. Interesting, and I thought he was cute, but not strange.

 

But then, it was his friend that came approaching me. ‘Oh, he must be shy, so he sends his friend over? That is adorable,’ I thought.

“Hi, I’m Jiyong. I saw you here a few times before. You must not be local, right? What’s your name?” His friend, Jiyong, had a sweet smile. He held out his hand for me to shake, and it would be rude to refuse.

“Ah, yes, our college is near, but we just started coming here for hangout. Are you local?” My friends were looking at me knowingly. I was a flirt, I never had any serious relationship. I was single for five weeks now (which was quite a long time on my scale), so it was about time I had another love in my life. Jiyong’s friend could be my next boy.

“You didn’t tell me your name.”

I was taken aback from his reply. He was still smiling, but his tone was serious. He knew how to play this too. I stole a glance at Jiyong’s friend, he looked expectant.

“Hi, I’m Hani.”

 

We exchanged our numbers, and I learned that Jiyong’s friend name was Seunghyun. They were the same age as I was, but I still got another semester in college while they would start working early next month. Jiyong and I then texted each other often, we would talk through the phone once in a while, and we would always met at the cafe at least twice a week. Seunghyun would always tag along, but he contributed less in the conversation. I still got the vibe that he was interested in me from time to time but weirdly he did not make any move on me at all.

 

Before I knew it, Jiyong and I became a couple.